Options

pelvic girdle pain (pregnancy)

merrybiscuitmerrybiscuit Posts: 648
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi,

i have been suffering with this since about 21 weeks. I am now 28 weeks. I have had a bit of time off work with pgp and i managed to get physio which sorted it out.

Anyway two weeks ago i had to ask a work colleague if she would carry my bag to my car as it was playing up. She did. I made it into work for the next 4 days and then it came back really bad. I had to take friday off and then today.

I was giving exercises and these help. But when the pain is bad i cannot drive as i cant change gear. At times its making me feel as though i ought to push!

I think its getting worse with the cold.

I just dont know what to do. My quality of life is terrible, i cant exercise, walk my dogs, go anywhere etc...

I feel as though i am pissing my boss off by not being there. Its a 50 minute drive to work and there is no public transport.

On top of that my 'morning sickness' started up again this weekend.

This is my first pregnancy. I just wondered if anyone had any tips?

I am tempted to move my maternity leave forward but this means less time with baby and i really want to avoid that! Just feel bad.

Comments

• Options
    dorahalldorahall Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How soon can you go on maternity leave? I had a problematic first pregnancy, and although I intended to work as long as I could, I ended up taking mat leave from 29 weeks. If you are struggling, it may be best for you and your baby for you to take the time now. Have a chat with your midwife, see what she advises.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was due to start on 18th jan, taking two weeks annual leave with an official start date of 4th feb.

I can start now but could take two weeks off as annual leave so would only start a month earlier!

I am in so much pain but feel bad about going off sooner!
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if one of these maternity supports would ease your discomfort:

http://www.mothercare.com/Nexcare-Maternity-Support-Size-8-18/873959,default,pd.html

It says in the description that it helps ease pelvic girdle pain.
  • Options
    spimfspimf Posts: 6,342
    Forum Member
    I was due to start on 18th jan, taking two weeks annual leave with an official start date of 4th feb.

I can start now but could take two weeks off as annual leave so would only start a month earlier!

I am in so much pain but feel bad about going off sooner!

Don't feel bad you have to do what's best for both you and baby! I had my maternity leave all worked out last year when I was pregnant - I was going to finish just before Christmas when the company would close until the first week of january, and then take annual leave up until my due date at the end of January, with my official maternity leave start date the start of February, I had a fantastic pregnancy and was still managing work really well, and then was made redundant at the end of November! So I had to start getting my maternity pay (from HMRC) from 1st December so 2 months earlier than I planned, which meant less time off with my baby, but it all worked out - sorry for the long rambley post basically what in trying to say us you can plan things perfectly but something might just crop up and put it all to pot, there's nothing you can do about it and if you're struggling, you need to take action, I don't think me going back to work a couple if months earlier than I planned has done my son any harm :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks spimf! Its a nightmare trying to juggle finaces and work and a baby!

The physio said a support belt wouldnt work as my back is misaligned. They can prescribe them if they think they will!

I may contact my manager and request i move it forward.