Options

G4S officers cleared

What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Surprised? Or more of the same.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/england/london

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-30494548

Jury were told of racist texts by guards nor of previous incidents they had been involved with.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know if I am surprised, but it was a dreadful case. Of course they heard him crying out that he couldn't breathe; the other passengers heard it and so did they. They held him in an illegal position until he was dead. Well done boys. I hope if I had been on the plane I would have intervened, physically; imagine knowing that you have sat and listened to a man being suffocated.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At the very beginning of the trial, reporting restrictions had been imposed which prevented any media reporting of the unlawful killing verdict, the coroner’s report or the virulently racist tweets and other evidence of racism on the part of the security guards, pending legal argument as to whether the jury could be allowed to hear this evidence or not. Later in the trial, the judge ruled that the jury should not hear any of this evidence. Hearing about the huge volume of horrible racist tweets and jokes received and re-sent by Terrence Hughes, and the small number by Tribelnig (none were on Kaler’s phone), would, defence lawyers argued, ‘release an unpredictable cloud of prejudice’ in the jury, preventing a fair trial. The judge acceded to the argument – so the jury reached its verdict in ignorance both of the previous jury’s conclusions and of the evidence of racist attitudes held by one or more of the men tasked with restraining Mubenga on the plane.

They seem to have excluded an awful lot of evidence. :(
  • Options
    CFCJM1CFCJM1 Posts: 2,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is the problem with understanding the three basic words - "I can't breath" when being stated by a black man being held down by security forces/police. Have now heard this for a second time this month and in both cases witnesses heard it loud and clear whilst the guards didn't?

Unbelievable and very disconcerting that in America and here - no one is being held to account. Not impressed.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite depressing.
  • Options
    GageGage Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst I sympathize with the family of Jimmy, I wonder if things would have been different if he would have just been quiet and enjoyed his flight home; maybe he'd still be alive, unless of course G4S has a kick for restraining innocent non-violent passengers.
  • Options
    Fists of FedorFists of Fedor Posts: 786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CFCJM1 wrote: »
    What is the problem with understanding the three basic words - "I can't breath" when being stated by a black man being held down by security forces/police. Have now heard this for a second time this month and in both cases witnesses heard it loud and clear whilst the guards didn't?

Unbelievable and very disconcerting that in America and here - no one is being held to account. Not impressed.

Three people were held to account. They were tried for manslaughter. They were found not guilty in by a jury of their peers at the Old Bailey?

Is it only justice if a guilty plea is rendered?
  • Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member

Similar to that case up North quite a few years back where a drunk was held down by several police with one extremely overweight PC sitting on the mans chest for a very long time - resulting in the mans death. Again no PC found accountable so far as memory goes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gage wrote: »
    Whilst I sympathize with the family of Jimmy, I wonder if things would have been different if he would have just been quiet and enjoyed his flight home; maybe he'd still be alive, unless of course G4S has a kick for restraining innocent non-violent passengers.
    They did not suggest that he was violent.
    Three people were held to account. They were tried for manslaughter. They were found not guilty in by a jury of their peers at the Old Bailey?

Is it only justice if a guilty plea is rendered?

I can't see what you are saying. Are you saying that a jury decision is always right, and you have never disagreed with any? Even when, as in this case, swathes of evidence were not allowed in case they 'prejudiced' the jury?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I can't see what you are saying. Are you saying that a jury decision is always right, and you have never disagreed with any? Even when, as in this case, swathes of evidence were not allowed in case they 'prejudiced' the jury?

Then that's your problem. Somebody complained that nobody was held to account for this incident. This is incorrect.

As for whether I think the decision was right? What the **** do I know? Was I on the jury? Nope.
  • Options
    CFCJM1CFCJM1 Posts: 2,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then that's your problem. Somebody complained that nobody was held to account for this incident. This is incorrect.

As for whether I think the decision was right? What the **** do I know? Was I on the jury? Nope.

The man died from a banned carpet karaoke technique that blocked his breathing as he was being restrained for 36 minutes. Morally - no-one has been held account for that. Not our judicial systems finest moment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The man died from a banned carpet karaoke technique that blocked his breathing as he was being restrained for 36 minutes. Morally - no-one has been held account for that. Not our judicial systems finest moment.

Except 3 people were held to account.

Why bother with a justice system when all it takes to render a safe conviction and appropriate punishment and rehabilitation is somebody not involved with the case at all?
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So you heard all the evidence?
    At least noone is rioting about it.
  • Options
    Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    If Mr. Mubenga had just been sitting in his seat quietly, as I'm quite sure he would have been told to do, then none of the described events would have happened and he'd still be alive today.
  • Options
    CorbynDallasCorbynDallas Posts: 821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Galaxy266 wrote: »
    If Mr. Mubenga had just been sitting in his seat quietly, as I'm quite sure he would have been told to do, then none of the described events would have happened and he'd still be alive today.

Exactly Mubenga was a convicted criminal of violent assault - he was not the innocent little angel his family and lawyers would have you believe.