Options

Queen Victoria's Children.

Comments

• Options
    DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I finished watching the series on iplayer last night. I had to smile at the wedding photo of Bertie, Alexandra and Victoria. The Queen refused to look at the camera and stared at the bust of her late husband. She carried on like she was the only woman ever to be widowed.

I just can't stop looking up Victoria's family, to see what became of her descendants.

After watching Victoria's Children and the Timewatch documentary I personally don't think that William and Catherine will use the name Victoria.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Princess Diana's genes have done some good, thanks to her and, in time, Kate's chromosones, we will have a few attractive royals for a few generations to come. A few non-royals in the gene pool is a good thing.

Err ....ok, think you've slightly misunderstood the concept of genes though.
  • Options
    Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After recording all three episodes and watching two so far i found it very interesting but could someone explain to me if Bertie was such dunce at education what in heavens name was he doing at Cambridge Royal or not i think he was wasting his time.Poor Alice the sculptor one i felt sorry for she should of been aloud to be with the artist guy instead of marrying the gay guy. The story of the daughters are almost quite sad.:( i thought Maria Von Trapp was bad but she is equal to Queen Victoria. I am still interested in her though.;)
  • Options
    boab34boab34 Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they went on about Princes Leopold and Arthur's deaths but didn't mention much about Princess Alice's death 6 years before Leopold in very sad circumstances.
  • Options
    PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    boab34 wrote: »
    they went on about Princes Leopold and Arthur's deaths but didn't mention much about Princess Alice's death 6 years before Leopold in very sad circumstances.

I am off to Wikipeadia once again !! We must be all on the same Wiki page a lot these days !!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    I finished watching the series on iplayer last night. I had to smile at the wedding photo of Bertie, Alexandra and Victoria. The Queen refused to look at the camera and stared at the bust of her late husband. She carried on like she was the only woman ever to be widowed.

I just can't stop looking up Victoria's family, to see what became of her descendants.

After watching Victoria's Children and the Timewatch documentary I personally don't think that William and Catherine will use the name Victoria.

I know , I'm just the same. Leopold's daughter Princess Alice survived until 1981 and died aged 97. The King of Sweden is descended from Affie. Really interesting subject. I've always had an interest in European history , but so much easier with the internet :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    david1955 wrote: »
    I know , I'm just the same. Leopold's daughter Princess Alice survived until 1981 and died aged 97. The King of Sweden is descended from Affie. Really interesting subject. I've always had an interest in European history , but so much easier with the internet :D

I am nww looking up one granddaughter who was canonised by the Russian orthdox church .I could get lost going from one to another !

I have a question that struck me last night when watching the Young Victoria .How did they get from Windsor to Balmoral ? Were there trains then to take them from one to the other ?
  • Options
    ChrissieAOChrissieAO Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    I am nww looking up one granddaughter who was canonised by the Russian orthdox church .I could get lost going from one to another !

I have a question that struck me last night when watching the Young Victoria .How did they get from Windsor to Balmoral ? Were there trains then to take them from one to the other ?

As far as I know the Royal Train was used even in those days, I think it started with Queen Victoria and I guess it would have gone to the local station near Balmoral, Ballater.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ChrissieAO wrote: »
    As far as I know the Royal Train was used even in those days, I think it started with Queen Victoria and I guess it would have gone to the local station near Balmoral, Ballater.

Thank you .I did wonder when Victoria said she could only be away for 3 days and thought it would take her 3 days to get there via road !

Also they wrote letters all the time to each other and I wonder of there was a man riding a horse back and forth from Windsor to Germany ? Or was there a mail service .?
    Its really made me curious and I am loving the info I never knew .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After recording all three episodes and watching two so far i found it very interesting but could someone explain to me if Bertie was such dunce at education what in heavens name was he doing at Cambridge Royal or not i think he was wasting his time.Poor Alice the sculptor one i felt sorry for she should of been aloud to be with the artist guy instead of marrying the gay guy. The story of the daughters are almost quite sad.:( i thought Maria Von Trapp was bad but she is equal to Queen Victoria. I am still interested in her though.;)
    I knew i would get mixed up with the names of the Daughters i meant to say poor Louise.:rolleyes: Good ole wiki.;)
  • Options
    ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member

... and breathe. :confused:
  • Options
    ChrissieAOChrissieAO Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    Thank you .I did wonder when Victoria said she could only be away for 3 days and thought it would take her 3 days to get there via road !

Also they wrote letters all the time to each other and I wonder of there was a man riding a horse back and forth from Windsor to Germany ? Or was there a mail service .?
    Its really made me curious and I am loving the info I never knew .

I would imagine they went by Royal Mail or by special courier I suppose. I certainly have a penny stamp with Victoria's head on it..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »
    ... and breathe. :confused:
    :confused::confused:
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ChrissieAO wrote: »

She had her own waiting room at Ballater.
  • Options
    seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    After recording all three episodes and watching two so far i found it very interesting but could someone explain to me if Bertie was such dunce at education what in heavens name was he doing at Cambridge Royal or not i think he was wasting his time.

Quite. He obviously only got in because of who he was. It sounds like he spent most of his time there womanising.
    Poor Alice the sculptor one i felt sorry for she should of been aloud to be with the artist guy instead of marrying the gay guy.

That was Louise. There's no way on god's earth she would have been allowed to marry the sculture teacher. I should imagine Queen Victoria would be spinning in her grave knowing who her descendants have married!
  • Options
    seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    I had to smile at the wedding photo of Bertie, Alexandra and Victoria. The Queen refused to look at the camera and stared at the bust of her late husband. She carried on like she was the only woman ever to be widowed.

I laughed at that. I wondered if she ever realised just how stupid that photo looked. What a selfish self-centred woman.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    seejay63 wrote: »
    I laughed at that. I wondered if she ever realised just how stupid that photo looked. What a selfish self-centred woman.

Now you've reminded me of that.
    What the hell was she thinking, what was she trying to convey, it's a scene captured for the ages afterall.
    Just very, very odd.
    'Let's not do this in public eh?' and paint a smile on for the photographs, just didn't seem to occur to her.

I haven't seen the film Mrs Brown, I assumed it painted her in pleasant light because it was so popular.
  • Options
    damianswifedamianswife Posts: 1,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alice has to be my favourite of QV's children. One of her son's was haemophiliac and died when a toddler after falling through a bedroom window. Alice died tragically young of diptheria along with her youngest daughter, May. Two of her daughters married into the Russian royal family, Alicky becoming Tsarina of Russia and the utterly beautiful Ella married Nicholas' uncle, Serge. They were all assassinated. Alice's descendants through her son Ernie were killed in a plane crash. Really tragic but interesting and fascinating stories.
    Lots of biographies out there about QV and her children but one of the best ( and difficult to get hold of! ) has to be Queen Victoria's Descendants by Marlene Eilers.
  • Options
    boab34boab34 Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alice has to be my favourite of QV's children. One of her son's was haemophiliac and died when a toddler after falling through a bedroom window. Alice died tragically young of diptheria along with her youngest daughter, May. Two of her daughters married into the Russian royal family, Alicky becoming Tsarina of Russia and the utterly beautiful Ella married Nicholas' uncle, Serge. They were all assassinated. Alice's descendants through her son Ernie were killed in a plane crash. Really tragic but interesting and fascinating stories.
    Lots of biographies out there about QV and her children but one of the best ( and difficult to get hold of! ) has to be Queen Victoria's Descendants by Marlene Eilers.

and Alice's eldest daughter Princess Victoria was the maternal grandmother of Prince Philip ;)
  • Options
    damianswifedamianswife Posts: 1,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, thats why they used his DNA to test against the bones belonging to the Romanovs, mitochondrial DNA vis the female line.
  • Options
    chaz richchaz rich Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seejay63 wrote: »

That is putting it mildly, what a vile human being she most certainly was .
  • Options
    daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,651
    Forum Member

Its really made me curious and I am loving the info I never knew

I've been wondering pretty much the same thing as I am at this point in time in my ancestry search so it added an extra dimension seeing life in this documentary as it was then. An ancester was transported to Australia leaving his wife to raise their young children alone. Yet he didn't remarry until after his wife died 33 years later - how did he know he was a widower?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I just can't stop looking up Victoria's family, to see what became of her Idescendants.

I'm the same! It has been so interesting reading what became of their lives, and their children too.

They seemed to turn out very well, many of them involved in charity work, nursing etc.

I did feel for Leopold, his son was born 4 months after his death, shame.
  • Options
    lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

For want of anything decent to watch tonight I ended up watching the last of these at my mum's tonight as she highly recommended it. Great programme and I've now downloaded the first two, can't believe I missed them TBH!

BIB: I've never seen anything so bizarre and utterly selfish in my life! What on earth was the stupid woman thinking? Her son's wedding day and she's using it as an opportunity to mutely declare 'never mind them, what about poor ME!' :rolleyes: I can't also help but think that it was a dig at her son, didn't she (ridiculously) blame him for Albert's death? Horrific woman.

It also angered me the way she was spoke about her children's looks - fancy being judged by that lump?! But what kind of mother talks about their children like that? Even taking into consideration the unflattering styles of the day Victoria was one plain/unattractive woman! I can only think she had so many people fawning over her and telling her she was something she wasn't that the flattery went to her head. Either that or she had magic mirrors in her various palaces/houses :D

Looking forward to watching the first two episodes now and seeing how much more old Queen Vic can wind me up!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    lotty27 wrote: »
    For want of anything decent to watch tonight I ended up watching the last of these at my mum's tonight as she highly recommended it. Great programme and I've now downloaded the first two, can't believe I missed them TBH!

BIB: I've never seen anything so bizarre and utterly selfish in my life! What on earth was the stupid woman thinking? Her son's wedding day and she's using it as an opportunity to mutely declare 'never mind them, what about poor ME!' :rolleyes: I can't also help but think that it was a dig at her son, didn't she (ridiculously) blame him for Albert's death? Horrific woman.

It also angered me the way she was spoke about her children's looks - fancy being judged by that lump?! But what kind of mother talks about their children like that? Even taking into consideration the unflattering styles of the day Victoria was one plain/unattractive woman! I can only think she had so many people fawning over her and telling her she was something she wasn't that the flattery went to her head. Either that or she had magic mirrors in her various palaces/houses :D

Looking forward to watching the first two episodes now and seeing how much more old Queen Vic can wind me up!

Not a fan of hers eh Lotteh?

Another bizarre aspect of her character was the way she conducted Privy Council meetings after Albert had died. These are just formal meetings and last about 20 minutes ( they still go on today in the same format ) She refused to leave Osbourne House or indeed speak to virtually anybody.

The meant that 4 cabinet ministers would have to travel all the way to the Isle of Wight every month for a brief meeting . However she refused to meet the Privy Counsellors , but made then wait outside her room. The Clerk of the Council would then read out each item to Victoria's private secretary, things like the appointment of a bishop , the private secretary would then convey this to the Queen , she would say approved and the PS would come back and tell the Clerk., There would be about 20 items to be approved so this process would keep repeating itself .