Options

Goodbye Television Centre BBC4 now

Comments

• Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    Andagha wrote: »
    Oh yes those were the days :D People also used to rent their t.v. from Radio Rentals too :D Blimey I'm showing my age now..lol

We rented ours from Rumbelows .. well my mum and dad did and it was black and white. Was yonks before we got colour :(
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apprently there's a lot of ghosts in television centre. And not just thoughs children savile bricked up in the crawl space......
  • Options
    Julie_EvansJulie_Evans Posts: 2,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miranda amongst genuine comedians - embarrassing.
  • Options
    mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 146,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ironically John Cleese and Ronnie Corbett were products of ITV hehe
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    We rented ours from Rumbelows .. well my mum and dad did and it was black and white. Was yonks before we got colour :(

Yes, and you had to turn the TV on 10 minutes before you wanted to watch something to allow it to warm up.
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    mrbernay wrote: »
    Ironically John Cleese and Ronnie Corbett were products of ITV hehe

So was Michael Grade.
  • Options
    AndaghaAndagha Posts: 31,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »

Oh gods I had forgotten Rumbelows..lol Maybe mum and dad rented ours from there too, it was either Radio Rentals or Rumbelows.. It was a Ferguson that I do remember, brown wooden casing and 4 buttons on the front that you pushed in for the channels and on/off. And yes it was B&W, I think we got colour in the 70's - I can remember mum getting excited at being able to see Crossroads in colour..lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Yes, and you had to turn the TV on 10 minutes before you wanted to watch something to allow it to warm up.

And if the tube thingy started going you bashed the t.v. on the top..lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh yes those were the days :D People also used to rent their t.v. from Radio Rentals too :D Blimey I'm showing my age now..lol

Radio Rentals operated censorship ;) I remember when we moved to Knutsford you could get ATV (on channel 8) and TWW (on channel 11), but RR only installed the ITV transistor for your area - we had to have an engineer out to fit the channels 8 and 11 ones hehehe
  • Options
    Forum Member

And you had to get off the sofa to turn it on and off :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh gods I had forgotten Rumbelows..lol Maybe mum and dad rented ours from there too, it was either Radio Rentals or Rumbelows.. It was a Ferguson that I do remember, brown wooden casing and 4 buttons on the front that you pushed in for the channels and on/off. And yes it was B&W, I think we got colour in the 70's - I can remember mum getting excited at being able to see Crossroads in colour..lol

Rumbelows in the Manchester area was "White & Swales" ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Miranda amongst genuine comedians - embarrassing.

It is a weird line up :confused: Dara O'Brian :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrbernay wrote: »
    Radio Rentals operated censorship ;) I remember when we moved to Knutsford you could get ATV (on channel 8) and TWW (on channel 11), but RR only installed the ITV transistor for your area - we had to have an engineer out to fit the channels 8 and 11 ones hehehe

That's probably why we had RR, we had a transmitter at BlueBell Hill, then it moved to Crystal Palace. :D We only ever had Southern :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member

:eek::eek: we did that,,,,and we rented a Phillips 2000,,,you could turn the tapes over:eek: (but out local video shop didn't rent films using that version:(), and I thought they were the future of vhs:D)
  • Options
    Clank007Clank007 Posts: 2,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant to see David Jason on the telly again - one of the true comedy greats
  • Options
    lynwood3lynwood3 Posts: 24,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There was a tower thingy with rings circling it that was on for 15 minutes before the programmes started. We used to sit and watch it while the TV warmed up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lynwood3 wrote: »
    There was a tower thingy with rings circling it that was on for 15 minutes before the programmes started. We used to sit and watch it while the TV warmed up.

And when you turned it off by physically turning it off at the tv, it used to literally go off by the picture/black screen going into a little dot.

Yikes who would have thought watching the closure of the BBC building is making us reminisce about our t.v.'s..lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    That's probably why we had RR, we had a transmitter at BlueBell Hill, then it moved to Crystal Palace. :D We only ever had Southern :D

That's what got me loving ITV and the regional stuff: we had friends in Brasted who got London TV, but the grandparents lived just above the Downs ridge and got Southern. I still have the two different TV Times from then...
  • Options
    Forum Member

Rumbelows may have taken over Radio Rentals :confused:

Yes, buttons to push and turn :D Think we were 80's when we got our's :mad: My parents didn't like 'new things' :o

Amy Turtle .. bless her and the shaky sets :D:D
  • Options
    horwichallstarshorwichallstars Posts: 16,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aww Playschool - those were the days
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh gods I used to love Pinky and Perky :D
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kid owning Maggie.. Are they going to show Elliot Fletcher?
  • Options
    davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    Will they mention Saville in the childrens programmes part.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    rhumble wrote: »
    :eek::eek: we did that,,,,and we rented a Phillips 2000,,,you could turn the tapes over:eek: (but out local video shop didn't rent films using that version:(), and I thought they were the future of vhs:D)

It was very unfortunate that V2000 didn't take off... Would have been much cheaper...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Looking at those children's programmes it's a wonder that we grew up normal :eek: