how to get to wembly

2»

Comments

• LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    Are there many pubs near to the Wembley Tube stations (Park and Central)?

A better bet is to head back into London and try The Globe (opp Baker St) or the Argyll Arms (near Marylebone).

I always avoid the pubs near Wembley as they do attract the wrong sort of supporters. The Globe is always a good choice for a pre-Wembley drink.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The tube is overground, don't know whether that helps.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was there for the JPT final and learned a few lessons.

If you're driving from the East of England, my advice would be to take the A1 all the way down to the roundabout at Edgware then take the A11 then A410 to Stanmore tube station HA7 4PD. Ignore any attempts that your sat-nav makes to divert you to the M1 on the way. It's a relaxing drive and the final diversion off the A1 isn't like driving in London at all, in fact Stanmore is quite a leafy suburb, almost like a small town.

You can park there and it's not expensive, but my tip would be to drive a quarter of a mile past Stanmore, turn left at Marsh Lane, then drive 0.82 miles (I measured it on Google Earth :-) ) to the crossroads where you turn left onto the B461. The next left turn takes you past what looks as if it might be a small medical centre, where you might be able to park on a Sunday.

Canons Park station does have its own car park (parking £1.50 - I've just noticed) HA8 6RN, although I actually had permission to park behind one of the shops right next to it. If the car park's full I'm sure you can find some street parking nearby if you allow a bit of time.

Canons Park is a lovely little station, on the same line as Stanmore but much less crowded. The line is actually all overground to Wembley, taking you past Watford's ground.

The only problem you'll have is on the way out. I thought I was being clever by driving through the housing estates to emerge near Stanmore - big mistake, as it gets absolutely gridlocked there after a match. Drive out via the Canons Park railway arch, following the B461, then over the crossroad onto the A5100. It's more of an urban route, but I was told that although slow, the traffic kept moving. Your sat-nav will easily direct you onto the A1 and you'll be going slowly enough to anticipate every direction from the sat-nav.

p.s. The entire area is a beer-free zone unless you actually enjoy paying silly prices for some of the worst keg bitter available, or even worse, lager.