Options

Sharp LC32GD8E - help needed to record digital tv

I have the Sharp LC32GD8E digital tv connected to my Sky+ box with a scart lead from AV1 and connected to my Panasonic DVD recorder with scart from AV2. Another scart connects the Sky+ box to the dvd recorder. According to the user manual I should be able to record a digital channel from the tv even when the tv is in standby once I have selected the programme from the EPG but I have tried recording to my Panasonic recorder from AV1 and AV2 but if Sky is on it will record whatever is showing on Sky and if Sky isn't on it records nothing. Can anyone help me with the correct configuration to resolve this problem please?

Comments

• Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,518
    Forum Member
    You need to check which SCART on the TV outputs Freeview picture and sound - only ONE of them does.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do you need to do this when the TV is off? - surely you can record the program (and another) on your Sky+ box? so convenient.

If you use this set up

Sky TV scart ---> DVDR AV2 (set this to RGB)
    DVDR AV1 ---> TV AV1 (the RGB scart socket)

you can also archive the Sky+ recorded program to DVDR at your leisure. Does your DVDR have a Freeview/digital tuner of its own? If so, your could use this in lieu of the one on the TV.

These links to TVs for recording are a real pain.

Rgds,
    scorp
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,087
    Forum Member
    http://www.sharpelectronics.info/Manuals.aspx

looking at your tv instructions you cannot use av1 with your dvd-rec if you are using the hdmi sockrt to record your tv

also you have to use fully pinned scart leads and auto install must be done

plug in all your scarts and switch your dvd-rec on. then do auto install

i cannot see how you can change channels whilst recording. it looks like if you are recording something you have to watch it.

i too think you should use the sky+ to wath one record another
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all your comments. The reason I would like to record from the digital tv to dvd is because even though I record programmes to Sky+ and archive to dvd when I can, with 3 other people in the house (husband and son who watch sport and daughter who will watch anything on Sky if she can get her hands on the remote) I rarely get to watch Sky when I want to so I have been recording from the analogue channels to the dvd recorder and the quality is pretty poor. The Panasonic recorder unfortunately doesn't have a digital tuner as that would solve the problem. I do have a spare freeview box so maybe that would be the solution. I will try Scorpio's and Niall's suggestions when I have the house to myself and report back. If I did connect the spare freeview box could you tell me the best way to connect everything? All help appreciated, thanks.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi, Haf

Freeview box TV scart ---> DVD AV3/4 other input, RGB if poss or Svideo next best
    Will need to cue up the FV box to match any timed event set on the DVDR for your recordings.
    Your main problem is getting the DVDR to pass through the Sky signal for hubby/son/daughter (should be set to AV2) while it's set to record FView for you. Will need to check manual/brand.

Rgds,
    Scorp
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Scorpio wrote:
    If you use this set up

you can also archive the Sky+ recorded program to DVDR at your leisure.
    I tried the above set up but had to switch the DVDR AV1 to the TV AV2 as I have now discovered that the AV2 outputs the freeview picture and sound (thanks for the info on that Nigel Goodwin) and I can now record digital tv even when switched to standby as long as no-one changes channels!

I have just ordered the Panasonic DMREX75 which will solve my problem and give me extra storage for archiving from Sky+. My son will have the old DMRE50 for his bedroom which will replace his dvd player and faulty video recorder. Thanks for all the help.

Now I need a HDMI cable, do you know where I can get one from at a reasonable price?
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,518
    Forum Member
    haf9 wrote:
    I tried the above set up but had to switch the DVDR AV1 to the TV AV2 as I have now discovered that the AV2 outputs the freeview picture and sound (thanks for the info on that Nigel Goodwin) and I can now record digital tv even when switched to standby as long as no-one changes channels!

I only found out because we delivered a Sharp LCD to a customer who had a SCART lead to her surround sound, and she got no sound through it. It wasn't me who delivered it!.

I got in touch with Sharp technical, and my old friend Mark, and he told me it's only output on one of the SCART's - so it's stuck in my mind since!.