Any panic buying of petrol in the North East?

jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm supposed to be driving from south-west London to Whitley Bay on Thursday, coming back Sunday. I have a full tank of petrol at the moment, but I'm getting a little worried about being able to fill the car to come back.

Can anyone up there tell me what the chances are likely to be? One of my options is to leave early Thursday morning (3 or 4 am) to get to likely petrol stations fairly early.

We're staying with relatives, so staying an extra day or two wouldn't be a problem, though I don't think it would actually help much.

And could anyone possibly tell me which is, roughly, the best toll booth to go through at the northern end of the Tyne Tunnel? When I went through last year, I used a booth on the left hand side, it was after dark, and I seemed to hit a series of "Give Way" signs. I've looked for a map of the new set-up, but can't find one. Going south was a dream!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No panic buying here in the North East, that won't be until next week just preceding Easter Weekend like the rest of the country. I bet there isn't even that much of an issue.
  • fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Teh User wrote: »
    No panic buying here in the North East, that won't be until next week just preceding Easter Weekend like the rest of the country. I bet there isn't even that much of an issue.

There is panic buying here in the south east. is there any wonder when the headlines say downing street advises motorists to fill up their cars?
  • BrunoStreeteBrunoStreete Posts: 7,180
    Forum Member
    fredster wrote: »
    There is panic buying here in the south east. is there any wonder when the headlines say downing street advises motorists to fill up their cars?

Have Downing Street said that?
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17533151
  • fainéantfainéant Posts: 2,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    Mr Maude advised: "The greater extent to which people have fuel in their vehicles - maybe a little bit in the garage as well in a jerrycan - the longer we can keep things going."
    No need to panic buy - just, for probably the first time in your life, buy a jerrycan and stock up. :rolleyes:
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fainéant wrote: »
    No need to panic buy - just, for probably the first time in your life, buy a jerrycan and stock up. :rolleyes:

fringging idiots. Annoyingly I actually need to fill up both cars at the moment. We will see tonight how bad it gets.
  • Carlos_dfcCarlos_dfc Posts: 8,262
    Forum Member
    I filled up about 6pm yesterday in Durham - there was no queue.

A full tank for me (66 litres of diesel) will last 4 or 5 weeks - so I have plenty of lee-way to pick and choose my next fill-up :)
  • satman5000satman5000 Posts: 1,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, because unlike down south we are not stupid! ;)
  • alias aliasalias alias Posts: 8,824
    Forum Member
    Tank from a scrapyard in the garage, good or bad idea? :D
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies. I'll probably drive up overnight. I rang a garage I know near Whitley Bay, which is open 24 hours, and they told me they have plenty of fuel, so I'll be aiming to get there by about 7am.

I'm assuming the rush hour up there doesn't start till long after 7am, unlike down here. In any event, if everyone up there fills up,
    there could be new deliveries over the weekend.
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Francis Maude comments saying fill up jerry cans and store them in garages is a potential time bomb waiting to happen. Fire brigade union said those comments were not welcome. You don't want to break down and put pressure on the AA and RAC.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I live opposite a petrol station and no one is panic buying here in East Anglia.
  • dodgygeezadodgygeeza Posts: 6,350
    Forum Member
    Quote from the BBC article:
    There are plans to put military personnel through an eight-day training course to enable them to take the place of striking drivers behind the wheel of commercial tankers.
    Is that legal? It sounds a lot like strike-breaking to me which I thought wasn't allowed.
  • JustmadeitJustmadeit Posts: 7,512
    Forum Member
    when does the strike start?
    how long is it going to go on for, have they said ?
  • wrexham103.4wrexham103.4 Posts: 3,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just been to sainsburys after work and ive never seen a que for fuel like it! i have filled me tank ONLY because i know the price per litre will shoot up in the next few days
  • alias aliasalias alias Posts: 8,824
    Forum Member
    occy wrote: »
    Francis Maude comments saying fill up jerry cans and store them in garages is a potential time bomb waiting to happen. Fire brigade union said those comments were not welcome. You don't want to break down and put pressure on the AA and RAC.

Who hasn't got a jerry can in the boot:eek: And i have 1 can for the lawnmower and one can for the chainsaw with an oil mix 50:1 in the garage. I'm a goner.

Anyone who fills up once a week like clock work needs to have an extra buffer zone to not get caught out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    Justmadeit wrote: »
    when does the strike start?
    how long is it going to go on for, have they said ?

FFS don't you follow the news? There hasn't been one announced yet, so no-one can say how long it might last, seeing as it doesn't actually exist The unions are in talks to avoid one at present.
  • Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will you need to fill-up?

I've just Googled London to Whitley Bay, and it's about 300 miles.
  • fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LCDMAN wrote: »
    FFS don't you follow the news? There hasn't been one announced yet, so no-one can say how long it might last, seeing as it doesn't actually exist The unions are in talks to avoid one at present.

I think it will go ahead, easter is coming up, and petrol shortages will ruin alot of people's plans. That is what the unions want. Hit public hard and petrol prices will soar.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bedsit Bob wrote: »
    Will you need to fill-up?

I've just Googled London to Whitley Bay, and it's about 300 miles.

And what is he going to do for the way back? Push it?
  • skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    It's always the South that goes into panic mode.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    skunkboy69 wrote: »

Oh I don't know - it was Scousers queueing on the national news and I passed 4 petrol stations around Leeds today - all of them with queues out onto the roads!
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    skunkboy69 wrote: »

Well, I have been out and about today throughout London and did not see a single queue at any petrol station.
  • skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    And I never saw any panic buying in the North last time.Yet down South men were actually crying because they couldn't fill up :)
  • Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elke21 wrote: »
    And what is he going to do for the way back? Push it?

He only gets 300 miles on a tankful :confused: