Can your workplace secretly audio record your conversations?

KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm temping at an office over the summer, starting just a few weeks ago.

Yesterday, I was informed by one of my colleagues to "mind what I say" because they have suspicions that the place of work is secretly audio recording all conversations that are held amongst workers - work related or otherwise.

There are CCTV cameras that can openly be seen, but I was wondering about the legality of this secret audio recording (if it is taking place) - can this actually happen/is it actually legal?

I tried to Google search but only found information relating to other countries such as America.

Does anyone have knowledge or advice regarding this? I did suspect that maybe they were having me on but thinking about it, it could very well be possible.

Comments

• scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you work for M16?

If not I'd say they're having a bit of a joke with you.

About the legality you can check with ACAS and the Information Commissioner.
  • Baz OBaz O Posts: 1,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KieranDS wrote: »
    I'm temping at an office over the summer, starting just a few weeks ago.

Yesterday, I was informed by one of my colleagues to "mind what I say" because they have suspicions that the place of work is secretly audio recording all conversations that are held amongst workers - work related or otherwise.

There are CCTV cameras that can openly be seen, but I was wondering about the legality of this secret audio recording (if it is taking place) - can this actually happen/is it actually legal?

I tried to Google search but only found information relating to other countries such as America.

Does anyone have knowledge or advice regarding this? I did suspect that maybe they were having me on but thinking about it, it could very well be possible.

I actually know of someone who planted hidden cameras in the office he worked in. I think he was paranoid that some of his staff were slagging him off behind his back ... he was right they were :D
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course its legal, you are in a private workplace.

If they are videoing you, it is safe to say they could voice record you, or record your telephone calls, or log your websites, or keylog your computer.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    Of course its legal, you are in a private workplace.

If they are videoing you, it is safe to say they could voice record you, or record your telephone calls, or log your websites, or keylog your computer.

I may be wrong but I don't think all of that is entirely legal, certainly not without letting the employees know about it.
    I thought keylogging was a definite no no...
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    I may be wrong but I don't think all of that is entirely legal, certainly not without letting the employees know about it.
    I thought keylogging was a definite no no...

I believe that it is legal.

They cannot, however, get a private investigator to do it without suspecting some sort of criminal activity.

If your company wants to check your desktop to see if you are operating within codes of practice, looking at quality, or even to see general business transactions they can do so as a matter of course.

Things like key-logging, email monitoring, website monitoring, social media activity, video monitoring (though not in toilets), GPS monitoring of company mobiles are all fair game.

The only disputable area is audio recording, which usually requires consent from one party.

If you must do private things in work time, the answer is simply do not use company equipment to do so. The use of private smartphones means that no employee should have a need to "check their facebook" from a work computer.

As a general rule, assume that your boss can read and see everything you do on a computer. Never assume anything is private, or an email you write will not get forwarded to everyone in the office.

And if you have to vent and slag the company off, follow the Lomasney rule:

Never write if you can speak; never speak if you can nod; never nod if you can wink.