Options

Do you want children?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly we never had children, don't know why, it just never happened.

We just get old together:)
  • Options
    Random42Random42 Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I voted no and don't want any.

There wasn't a point where I actively decided not to have kids, I just never felt the desire to have them which perhaps amounts to the same thing.
    I don't see that my feelings will change in the future.
  • Options
    StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if I do or don't. I would want to be a good parent but at the same time I don't know if I could deal with having kids that were very different from me. Has anyone had any experience with this - your kids' interests being really different from your own?
  • Options
    *Clem**Clem* Posts: 4,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope. I'm in my 30s and I've never wanted them.
  • Options
    oldhagoldhag Posts: 2,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know why any sane person wants to have kids.

There are far too many people on earth already. Pure selfishness to add to the over-crowding.

Fair enough in the days when kids looked after their geriatric parents. But now they just take, take, take.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oldhag wrote: »

There are far too many people on earth already. Pure selfishness to add to the over-crowding.

Fair enough in the days when kids looked after their geriatric parents. But now they just take, take, take.

If I ever become elderly and unable to care for myself, I would like to be taken care of by kind and well-trained professionals. I don't think it ever works when a middle aged child has sole care of a parent who needs 24 hour care.

And I don't recognise that description of young people today. I am proud of the way my children are living up to their ideals.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God willing baby number 2 will be here in early 2015 and then we're done.

Being a parent is one of the toughest, most demanding, thankless jobs you'll ever do and can on occasion can come close to breaking you BUT as trite as it sounds it's all worth it as you watch your child grow and learn. Something as simple as a smile or a giggle or a cuddle can turn the shittiest of days around.

I wasn't born with the longing to be a mother, I was actually pretty anti kids in my 20's but that all changed for me... I don't even know how or when.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No kiddy winks for me thanks .

Not my cup of tea .
  • Options
    julie88julie88 Posts: 2,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't have any, don't want any. I work with kids and I love them (I love my job), but I have no desire to have any myself.
  • Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I don't want children. I decided at 18.

However, I am not 'childless', I'm 'child free'.

There is a big difference.
  • Options
    oldhagoldhag Posts: 2,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I ever become elderly and unable to care for myself, I would like to be taken care of by kind and well-trained professionals. I don't think it ever works when a middle aged child has sole care of a parent who needs 24 hour care.

And I don't recognise that description of young people today. I am proud of the way my children are living up to their ideals.

I'm sure you can see that there are many young people around today who don't give much to society. Obviously your own will be perfect.
  • Options
    Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I babysat a 4yr old all weekend and I found it horrific! I think I've got selfish in my old age and just couldn't cope with the constant harassment!

I don't remember feeling like that when mine were that age. Having kids is definitely a young woman's game, don't be doing it in your forties unless you plan on getting a nanny.

Seconded! I had my lot young and then number four arrived when I was 36. That was a bit of a shock to say the least.
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    I'm sure you can see that there are many young people around today who don't give much to society. Obviously your own will be perfect.

There are plenty of older people who contribute bugger all, too.
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't think it's selfish to have children if you are going to support them yourself and they grow up to contribute to society. I think I have succeeded in this as they both have a strong worth ethic.

I do not expect them to look after me in my old age, however, as I was brought up in a family where we cared for my grandfather and the impact it had on the rest of the family was very detrimental and I would not put my own children (or more accurately their children) through this.
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    The best thing about kids is that you can use them as free labour. I'm having a break from ripping out the bathroom and a cup of tea, and my seven year old is busy filling a builder's bucket with tiles and putting them in the skip outside. He's even wearing gloves, a hard hat and safety glasses I brought him home from work (too big for him, but hey)
  • Options
    GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't, and don't want kids, never have, never will. Can't be arsed with it. I have to say though, I am EXTREMELY surprised by the results of this poll so far, I thought I was very much in the minority!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kippeh wrote: »
    The best thing about kids is that you can use them as free labour. I'm having a break from ripping out the bathroom and a cup of tea, and my seven year old is busy filling a builder's bucket with tiles and putting them in the skip outside. He's even wearing gloves, a hard hat and safety glasses I brought him home from work (too big for him, but hey)

:D lol. Don't go sending him up a chimney now.
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    :D lol. Don't go sending him up a chimney now.

Ha ha. I will pay him. I've put money in printed brown wage packet envelopes before now when he has helped me in the past. He thinks it's ace.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    misunderstood the question.
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

By the time my kids were 3 they knew how to sort out the washing into lights, darks and coloureds, gotta train them young if you want them to be useful.
  • Options
    NamiraNamira Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't have any, don't want any. Even if I did want kids I wouldn't have them. I'm selfish and screwed up - not mother material. If I could donate my ovaries and womb to an infertile woman I would.
  • Options
    MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    I had my first one at 17 and then 2 more. Now at 42 both me and hubby can enjoy ourselves with the kids all grown up. We didn't missed out with life. So having kids for us was the best thing and I wouldn't change a thing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have 3 adult children. Before I accidently got pregnant with my first I had no plans at all to pro create. I thought I would resent having make the sacrifices that come with being a parent.
    As soon as I got up the duff the hormones kicked in and there was no looking back. I would have 20 kids if I could have. Being a Mother is the best thing that ever happened for me, it has made me grow as a person, and been the most fulfilling part of my life so far.

Next stop Grandchildren, sooner the better lol
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ha ha. I will pay him. I've put money in printed brown wage packet envelopes before now when he has helped me in the past. He thinks it's ace.

...^.Cool Dad alert :cool: ^

7 is a wonderful age innit :)
  • Options
    CrazyLoopCrazyLoop Posts: 31,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really would like children but I know it won't happen anytime soon or least I don't intend for it to.