Weight Loss Thread - 2013 Edition

Comments

• molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How much fruit did you eat ? it is packed with sugar. And how did you cook the veg ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    Are you female and aged between about 13 and 55? Whether I lose or gain in the shorter term is totally determined by where I am in the month for me. I went up 6lb over night the other day and looked like I was pregnant for about 5 days. It's going down now though. :o

That's so annoying isn't it, no amount of dieting will sort it out either :mad:
  • iiHEARTy0uiiHEARTy0u Posts: 13,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has anyone tried the Secret Diet Drops? I am thinking of trying it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have a look at myfitnesspal website, they explain how this is a scam and all you will lose is water not fat. You load up with salt which retains water then take the drops and stop the salt intake which makes you lose pounds of water.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    i still maintain the weight any morning..weighed myself this morning after my trip out yesterday and not put any on.( but we did of walking round the shops etc, Liverpool :D), and i had a bit of light snack last night when i got back home( and some choccy :p)..My clothes are now getting big, so im down a size..not got far to go now, and feel real determined, its a great feeling :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done Orangemaid, weighed myself this morning thinking I would have put some on as I have not been good on holiday but in past 2 weeks I seem to have lost 3lb ! So quite pleased with that :D

Back on track this morning with just one slice of toast saving other slice of bread for this evening.
  • iiHEARTy0uiiHEARTy0u Posts: 13,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    Have a look at myfitnesspal website, they explain how this is a scam and all you will lose is water not fat. You load up with salt which retains water then take the drops and stop the salt intake which makes you lose pounds of water.

Wow i am shocked by that. I have read people thinking its a scam but the support group on facebook has lots of success stories.

I will definately have to read further on them now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thing is there are no quick fixes those of us losing weight are eating less calories and moving about more. People doing the gimmicky things are not doing as well as those who just work hard at changing their lives and habits.
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thing is there are no quick fixes those of us losing weight are eating less calories and moving about more. People doing the gimmicky things are not doing as well as those who just work hard at changing their lives and habits.

Therein lay the truth.
    Trouble is, no one can make any money from that.
  • WinterFireWinterFire Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    Hi all. I just weighed myself for the first time in two weeks. I'm 76.5kg, compared to a target of 77kg. So, 0.5/kg which is a bit more than a bit of a pound off. Well within normal variation.

But, I've had a month or so of being officially underweight, reaching 75kg at my lowest and eating more. Now I need to back off a tad. But even when I'm backing off a tad, I'm not explicitly calorie counting. If I get 2kg overweight or something, I'll bring back the calorie counting 'big [diet] guns', but at present I seem to understand food enough now that I know what to do.

In any case, regular weighings and slight adjustments of diet still appears to be an effective maintenance strategy.

But nobody's making any money off me for that as well :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done WF I have a feeling this will be a life long thing for me too, once down to an acceptable weight I will be still weighing and checking to ensure I don't slip back.
  • SplotSplot Posts: 600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Argh - been doing well all week but have put on a pound! So tempted to go for a burger after work now. Boo.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm finding it quite natural to put a pound or two on at some points during the month, it comes back off the following week. Think our bodies are quite amazing taking what they need from what we eat.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it's important to me to have several goals too, smaller amounts to look towards as it's a long term thing and looking too far head would put me off I think. Not even aiming for a particular weight at the moment just doing a stone at a time. Will know nearer the end what I am aiming for GP told me 107lb was what I should be but that seems a long way ahead as I am over twice that at the moment :o in fact I doubt I will ever be that small.
  • JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been stuck at the same weight now for months!! Not going up and not going down :mad:

Any suggestions from anyone?

I do bootcamp twice a week and have lost inches all over, I have also lost 1 and half stone since starting Bootcamp last year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people find upping their calories for a few days helps kick start weight loss, it could be you are not eating enough calories to do the exercise so body is hanging on to them.

Some people find upping exercise or changing eating patterns helps. Or cutting carbs/sugar or fat.

All depends why you have stalled I would suggest.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it's important to me to have several goals too, smaller amounts to look towards as it's a long term thing and looking too far head would put me off I think. Not even aiming for a particular weight at the moment just doing a stone at a time. Will know nearer the end what I am aiming for GP told me 107lb was what I should be but that seems a long way ahead as I am over twice that at the moment :o in fact I doubt I will ever be that small.

Bib- 107lbs? How tall are you? That doesn't seem very much at all, I'm sure I read lady gaga is 107lbs- she's a celebrity- they don't weigh normal weights.

Think your doctor needs a shake.

107lbs, that's feather light. Not even 8 stone. I'm not a medical professional but I'd say don't even keep that figure in mind as not many grown adults are that weight, unless they do huge amounts of running/exercise and eat very little.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm only a little under 5 foot 3 inches so not very tall at all. My mother was 5 foot 2 inches and weigh about that and never looked overly skinny so he may be around about right. Just not very realistic for me.
  • JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people find upping their calories for a few days helps kick start weight loss, it could be you are not eating enough calories to do the exercise so body is hanging on to them.

Some people find upping exercise or changing eating patterns helps. Or cutting carbs/sugar or fat.

All depends why you have stalled I would suggest.

Thanks Molliepops, its just so frustrating :mad:

Will sit down and see what I can change a bit.
    Forum Member
    woo..i'm in my 10 stones now,, size 14 now.. just 9 lbs to go :p

weigh in morning as the battery went, but got a new one
  • thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've totally slipped. Oops!
    Forum Member
    Splot wrote: »
    Argh - been doing well all week but have put on a pound! So tempted to go for a burger after work now. Boo.

it might be just fluid, water

hope you enjoyed ya burger..a treat :p
    Forum Member
    I've totally slipped. Oops!

aww, hope you didnt slip too much :p
  • thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    aww, hope you didnt slip too much :p

Sadly I did, didn't go to any exercise classes last week, due t the cold, or this week and have ate my feelings all week. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JJ75 wrote: »
    I have been stuck at the same weight now for months!! Not going up and not going down :mad:

Any suggestions from anyone?

I do bootcamp twice a week and have lost inches all over, I have also lost 1 and half stone since starting Bootcamp last year.

Out of curiosity, how much water do you drink?

Fat/toxins leaves the body through your urine, so if you are exercising and eating healthily you must drink around 3 litres of water a day (an absolute minimum of 2 litres) to ensure your body has enough fluid to get the fat out through your urine.

I find that filling a 2 litre bottle with water in the morning and drinking from that (I put the water in the fridge so its lovely and cold) helps keep my water consumption in good stead. I am more often than not filling the bottle again by lunchtime, and finish the 4 litres by bedtime.
    Not only does it shift fat but it also improves your skin elasticity so helps your skin spring back rather than sag (and makes it look generally healthier).

Also, if you are losing inches but not weight it doesn't really matter, as you will be gaining muscle tone (muscle weighs more than fat) so you are losing fat but gaining muscle- which is a brilliant thing. If you look good then feel good, ignore what the scales say as the tape measure is the best rule sometimes.

I've not given an update in a while - I'm back fully in my size 12's and have been for a couple of weeks :D , weight is still going down but to be honest I'm happy if it stops as this is the lowest I've weighed in a long time. Longterm it would be great to be a size 10 like when I was in my early twenties, but as I'm a decade older achieving that isn't the most important thing to me anymore as I have other things that need my energy.