"Rip-Off Britain"

lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
Forum Member
This is a phrase oft banded about on these forums.

The inference is that we have relatively poor spending power in the UK. But how true is this?

Obviously, there are many factors at play, and spending power will vary depending on relative wealth, but how does it compare with other countries?

We'd have to consider taxation policies (and tax burden), what is provided by the state for free (health care, child care, welfare, pensions etc.), average incomes, the actual price of commodities and other goods and services.

OK, you can compare the exchange-rate adjusted figures for certain things, but how much of the picture does that paint?

Which countries do you think *aren't* a rip-off?

Comments

• walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,907
    Forum Member
    When people spout off about 'rip off Britain' they forget about all the things here that are cheaper than other places.
  • DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    When people spout off about 'rip off Britain' they forget about all the things here that are cheaper than other places.

Indeed.
  • collitcollit Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My inlaws have lived in France for nearly 20 years and my FIL is always going on about rip off Britain. He hardly ever comes here now and won't read Enflish papers, watch english TV or listen to English radio.
    I think there was a time when he was right, but according to my MIL, it's not actually any cheaper there now.
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An example of rip-off Britain: I accidentally fall off a horse and break my shoulder. I go to the hospital, get it sorted, get follow-up physio for 3 months, and it doesn't cost me a penny.

I do the same in the USA, it costs me $3,000 - $5,000 to get the shoulder fixed, then $200 for every physio visit. Or I can take out Medicare for $300 a month!

Or I pay £3.50 for a Big Mac meal in the UK, but a mere $2 in the USA.
    Forum Member
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    An example of rip-off Britain: I accidentally fall off a horse and break my shoulder. I go to the hospital, get it sorted, get follow-up physio for 3 months, and it doesn't cost me a penny.

I do the same in the USA, it costs me $3,000 - $5,000 to get the shoulder fixed, then $200 for every physio visit. Or I can take out Medicare for $300 a month!

Rip Off Britain right there.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member

But do you pay $300 a month less tax in the USA?
  • ChizzlefaceChizzleface Posts: 8,221
    Forum Member
    People have to remember that if they were to move to another country, their salary would alter in line with that country's economy. Prague is super-cheap if you're a tourist, but living there is hard because the salary you'd earn wouldn't be the same as the salary earned here. Same goes the other way, Norway seems super-expensive, but then their salaries are increased commensurate with their economy. It's just the way inflation and economies work in general. Everywhere seems cheap or expensive compared to other places, but in reality the difference is minimal, you just have to remember to compare the earnings as well as the prices to get the full picture.

And Britain isn't that much of a rip-off anyway, not many other places in the world offer free healthcare to its citizens.
  • ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member

If DS had a "Like" button, I would have hit it.
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,057
    Forum Member
    America is cheaper for a lot of things, but that is because sales tax (their version of VAT) is much lower, or in some places it is non existent - plus its a much more populated country, which helps reduce costs via economies of scale. As another poster has pointed out though, although taxes are lower, they have to pay huge health insurance premiums each month.

Most European countries are more expensive than us for a lot of things these days - the main exceptions being housing and alcohol.
  • MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    collit wrote: »
    My inlaws have lived in France for nearly 20 years and my FIL is always going on about rip off Britain. He hardly ever comes here now and won't read Enflish papers, watch english TV or listen to English radio.
    I think there was a time when he was right, but according to my MIL, it's not actually any cheaper there now.

We did a trip to Paris and London a couple of years back. We found Paris to be much more expensive.
  • lyndalahugheslyndalahughes Posts: 270
    Forum Member
    People have to remember that if they were to move to another country, their salary would alter in line with that country's economy. Prague is super-cheap if you're a tourist, but living there is hard because the salary you'd earn wouldn't be the same as the salary earned here. Same goes the other way, Norway seems super-expensive, but then their salaries are increased commensurate with their economy. It's just the way inflation and economies work in general. Everywhere seems cheap or expensive compared to other places, but in reality the difference is minimal, you just have to remember to compare the earnings as well as the prices to get the full picture.

And Britain isn't that much of a rip-off anyway, not many other places in the world offer free healthcare to its citizens.

BIB - actually there are quite a few.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_health_care
  • lyndalahugheslyndalahughes Posts: 270
    Forum Member

US have what is known as Public Hospitals, most cities have one and they don't ask for money as they are funded by government, local government or charities.

An example for you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City_Health_and_Hospitals_Corporation
    Forum Member
    Moony wrote: »
    We did a trip to Paris and London a couple of years back. We found Paris to be much more expensive.

Me too. There are great, cheap places to go in London if you know where.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Lots do, especially in Europe.
  • kerrminatorkerrminator Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Especially when the end up putting the horse that injured you in the BigMac and dont even tell you lol
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But I bet he'll be happy to receive his British pension, and Cold Weather payments!
  • mildredhubblemildredhubble Posts: 6,447
    Forum Member
    Free healthcare to citizens - really???
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    Free healthcare to citizens - really???

Not really. £4100 ($6200) per taxpayer each year. Medicaid works out cheaper.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I was in France a few months back and didn't notice it being any cheaper there. Same old story really, something things are cheaper here and some things are more expensive.

I would say we are a rip off electronic wise, I'm looking into getting a new laptop and we pay far more then you would in the states for example.
  • ChizzlefaceChizzleface Posts: 8,221
    Forum Member
    Velcro - now there's a rip-off.
  • mildredhubblemildredhubble Posts: 6,447
    Forum Member
    Meilie wrote: »

Interesting!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    Velcro - now there's a rip-off.

It'll never be as bad as body hair removal.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Meilie wrote: »

What does Medicaid cover?
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    This is a phrase oft banded about on these forums.

The inference is that we have relatively poor spending power in the UK. But how true is this?

Obviously, there are many factors at play, and spending power will vary depending on relative wealth, but how does it compare with other countries?

We'd have to consider taxation policies (and tax burden), what is provided by the state for free (health care, child care, welfare, pensions etc.), average incomes, the actual price of commodities and other goods and services.

OK, you can compare the exchange-rate adjusted figures for certain things, but how much of the picture does that paint?

Which countries do you think *aren't* a rip-off?
    Does 'Big Tech' consider all these things when deciding the price-point for the latest iPad or Playstation? I've always understood that 'Rip Off Britain' was coined because some companies simply determine what price they can get away with charging their UK customers, not necessarily what's a fair and equitable price that reflects such things as import duties and local tax arrangements. I'd be astonished if Sony take into account the UK welfare state when deciding how much to charge us for the PS4, so we shouldn't take it into account in deciding if it's a rip-off. As fair basis for comparison, we can only really consider the same criteria that the companies themselves use when setting the price. If, after doing that, it costs, say, £100 more for no apparent reason, that would indeed suggest a 'ROB' price.
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember how the Right Wing press used to chant this tune back in the early 2000's.

They rarely ever say it now.