Options

Labour proposes regular 'MoT's for teachers...

ZaphodskiZaphodski Posts: 4,687
Forum Member
✭✭✭
After all the flack teachers and their unions have given Gove's reforms surely they will embrace this Labour initiative with open arms....?

Comments

• Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Zaphodski wrote: »
    After all the flack teachers and their unions have given Gove's reforms surely they will embrace this Labour initiative with open arms....?

Four hundred thousand teachers and only seventeen have been sacked for incompetence.
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although the "devil would be in the detail", the NUT said it could potentially be a positive development.
  • Options
    PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As someone who has voted Labour often in the past, ALL I WANTED was for literally anyone except Tristram Hunt to be in charge of education. That's all. I only had one man on my Labour list of "please god, no!" I have discussed education with him before (by letter) and the man did not make a shred of sense even when he was just a local MP.

Teachers don't need more pressure. It decreases performance.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was proposed under the last Labour government and dropped.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25686208
  • Options
    Emyj74Emyj74 Posts: 2,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    Four hundred thousand teachers and only seventeen have been sacked for incompetence.

Like in most jobs its often to difficult sack staff so staff are managed out. At least half the the teachers at my wife school have been managed out over the last couple of years.

At my wife school they are assessed twice a term on an Ofsted type basis and are in trouble if they don't get good or outstanding so what would be the point of this new idea in view of what teachers go through now?
  • Options
    MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    Although the "devil would be in the detail", the NUT said it could potentially be a positive development.

The deputy head of the NUT said it was "more denigration of teachers"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25686208

It is interesting that Labour are recycling policies from 5 years ago that they didn't implement when they had the chance.

I wonder what will be next?
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    yeah this will definitely happen.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Psychosis wrote: »

You could say that about any job.

I won't pass judgement on these proposals until I see the details but there are many professional jobs where you have to recertify your skills regularly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Psychosis wrote: »

How do you propose that we weed out the bad teachers? unless you think there aren't any?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    You could say that about any job.

I won't pass judgement on these proposals until I see the details but there are many professional jobs where you have to recertify your skills regularly.

Agreed. I don't see that it's such a big deal. With the amount of teacher training days there are, they should all be at the top of their game!
  • Options
    jassijassi Posts: 7,895
    Forum Member
    I don't really see the problem. We've had national registration and Professional Development requirements within the Health Service for decades, so why not something similar for teaching ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is an idea that Sir Humphrey Appleby would endorse.

This is nothing to do with raising standards, but more to do with increasing administration to increase state control of Education.

Why not just limit the Teacher qualification to say 10-15 years to which they have to resit in order to remain in the profession. There is already Ofsted which could do this anyway.

Why create another quango?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Listening to the NUT guy.

he says that it is easy enough now to get rid of teachers that are under performing.

in response to the figures that only 17 were dismissed between 2001 and 2011 he says they leave of their own volition when they are told that they are not up to the job.

personally i don't think we should be relying on people using their own discretion to leave when they are not up to it. we don't do this else where.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    RacerWelsh wrote: »
    This is an idea that Sir Humphrey Appleby would endorse.

This is nothing to do with raising standards, but more to do with increasing administration to increase state control of Education.

Why not just limit the Teacher qualification to say 10-15 years to which they have to resit in order to remain in the profession. There is already Ofsted which could do this anyway.

10-15 years?

seriously?

for what it's worth i don't think the teachers would be any happier about having to do that either. i don't think may people would relish having to requalify after 15 years either.

it doesn't need to be the same exam they sat in their early 20s. they are allowed to forget some of the theory. so long as they are good teachers. as in their kids learn stuff.
  • Options
    Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't disagree in principle but isn't this in place in some shape or form already?

I teach in FE so not quite the same but I'm observed annually (I would be observed more often if I was lacking), we get OFSTED'd and I have to do 30 hours CPD each year.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RacerWelsh wrote: »

Create more bureaucracy and jobs for their friends. That's what Labour do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Politically why are labour doing this? or rather proposing this.

is it to try and distance themselves from the unions?
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »

I think it's to find a way to ensure consistency and raising teaching standards.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think it's to find a way to ensure consistency and raising teaching standards.

come off it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

More likely a distraction technique to divert attention from the fact that they have no real policies on the important matter of the economy. Why are they even talking about this? The next election will be won or lost on economic policy. Anything else will be a distant second at best.
  • Options
    TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Too simplistic an approach to what it a much more complex malaise in our education system.

I'm rather fatigued with the notion that it is the teachers who are solely to blame for falling standards, the vast majority of whom do a very good job under increasingly difficult conditions. If anything I'd favour a much more hands-off approach from government.

Besides, isn't this the sort of thing Offstead should be doing on an ongoing basis? Don't they identify under performing teachers as a matter of course?
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do you propose that we weed out the bad teachers? unless you think there aren't any?
    The same way other companies weed out bad workers perhaps.

Why do you assume that bad teachers will hang on, refusing to go until LEGAL proceedings are taken to get rid of them
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    The same way other companies weed out bad workers perhaps.

Why do you assume that bad teachers will hang on, refusing to go until LEGAL proceedings are taken to get rid of them

where did i say i assumed that?
  • Options
    Mr MoritzMr Moritz Posts: 3,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Too simplistic an approach to what it a much more complex malaise in our education system.

I'm rather fatigued with the notion that it is the teachers who are solely to blame for falling standards, the vast majority of whom do a very good job under increasingly difficult conditions. If anything I'd favour a much more hands-off approach from government.

Besides, isn't this the sort of thing Offstead should be doing on an ongoing basis? Don't they identify under performing teachers as a matter of course?
    Therein lies the problem OFSTED offer overall judgement on the school not individual teachers.

From what I've seen and heard most of the Inspectors haven't taught for a number of years and if asked to take a class and give a masterclass in what an outstanding lesson is, would fail.

So OFSTED isn't really about raising standards, it's more about being political enforcers for the government.
  • Options
    Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    But hundreds leave through compromise agreements or mutual consent