Options

Mrs Brown's Boys D'Movie

Comments

• Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Paddy C wrote: »
    The last 3 times I've been at the cinema the trailer has been shown and all 3 times it got laughs for most of the jokes in it. Surprisingly the end joke of "I wouldn't get away with dressing like a man" complete with nod to the camera got nothing...

I can imagine it getting absolutely savaged by the critics but it will do well financially.

Thing is; cinema audiences will laugh at anything. Whenever I go, that pathetic Kevin Bacon advert still gets laughs.:confused:

The TV series does seem to have a solid fan base and the formula is simple enough to churn out a feature-length episode so there is no reason why the film won't makes its costs back and then some. Of course, it's still unfunny shite...;-)
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thing is; cinema audiences will laugh at anything. Whenever I go, that pathetic Kevin Bacon advert still gets laughs.:confused:

The TV series does seem to have a solid fan base and the formula is simple enough to churn out a feature-length episode so there is no reason why the film won't makes its costs back and then some. Of course, it's still unfunny shite...;-)

I notice some of the reviewers in the links above have used the "unfunny" word but it's a risky one as comedy is extremely subjective......what makes one person laugh might leave the next person completely cold, and vice versa.
  • Options
    paulbaxpaulbax Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think when it comes to the humour of Mrs Browns Boys you either get it or you dont!

I tend to find that the Irish and and Scottish sense of humour is very similar and very distinct, so I think that people from those countries are more likely to find this show funny than someone who lives elsewhere. Everyone I know here (Including myself) loves this show and finds it hilarious, but I can see how some people wouldn't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbax wrote: »
    I think when it comes to the humour of Mrs Browns Boys you either get it or you dont!

I tend to find that the Irish and and Scottish sense of humour is very similar and very distinct, so I think that people from those countries are more likely to find this show funny than someone who lives elsewhere. Everyone I know here (Including myself) loves this show and finds it hilarious, but I can see how some people wouldn't.

It's clearly working class humour too, though from the huge viewing figures, it seems a lot of middle class people get it as well.
  • Options
    Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who decided to make a movie out of this rather unfunny piece of shit tv?
  • Options
    KrisHaywardKrisHayward Posts: 4,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They still can't make their minds up how many children Mrs Brown has.It says throughout the film she has 6 children as well as that she has 4 sons and Kathy is her only daughter.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    They still can't make their minds up how many children Mrs Brown has.It says throughout the film she has 6 children as well as that she has 4 sons and Kathy is her only daughter.

Trevor Brown (son)
    Dermot Brown (son)
    Simon Brown (son)
    Rory Brown (son)
    Mark Brown (son)
    Cathy Brown (daughter)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Simon doesn't exist in the BBC series, she even says "i have four sons" in the movie.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Simon doesn't exist in the BBC series, she even says "i have four sons" in the movie.

I've seen him in the original series. So he does exist.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason100 wrote: »
    Who decided to make a movie out of this rather unfunny piece of shit tv?

Brendan himself : he has made two feature films before (one fell through though because of financial problems).
  • Options
    barlowconnorbarlowconnor Posts: 38,120
    Forum Member
    myscimitar wrote: »
    Just seen a bus, with the film advertised on the side, I can't wait looks so funny.

I keep seeing buses it seems to be on nearly everyone.
  • Options
    sinbad8982sinbad8982 Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    It's clearly working class humour too, though from the huge viewing figures, it seems a lot of middle class people get it as well.

Its just very unsophisticated slapstick humour, given some of the classy sitcoms like 'Friends' of recent times its incredibly dated stuff. I expected it to flop but it doesn't seem it will.
  • Options
    KMKYWAPKMKYWAP Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolute shite.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sinbad8982 wrote: »
    Its just very unsophisticated slapstick humour, given some of the classy sitcoms like 'Friends' of recent times its incredibly dated stuff. I expected it to flop but it doesn't seem it will.

Indeed, but Brendan would actually freely admit that it was coarse, old fashioned, unoriginal and unsophisticated : it's meant to be the complete antithesis of 'alternative comedy' and the Oxford and Cambridge flavoured humour of the 80s and 90s.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Huge divergence of opinions between the critics and the public not surprisingly : the critics are slating it en masse but loads of people on Twitter this evening saying they loved it and that they laughed out loud throughout.
  • Options
    Forum Member

She said she had six children when I watched it last night.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She said she had six children when I watched it last night.

I know but she also says "I have four sons you know" when the men are dragging her.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    I keep seeing buses it seems to be on nearly everyone.

Ha ha! Me too.

It seems to be a rule that a film advertised heavily on the sides of buses is invariably crap.:D
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd rather bite my own head off and pour sick down the neck hole than watch this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know but she also says "I have four sons you know" when the men are dragging her.

The confusion arises because Mrs Brown exists in a number of different formats : the radio play, the novels, the original made for DVD series, the stage show, the TV series and two different movies : there has been a lot of chopping and changing of characters over the years.
  • Options
    paulbaxpaulbax Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that's a pretty stuck up way to look at it tbh.

It's just silly, doesn't take itself seriously in any way comedy. It's cheesy and sometimes predictable humour adds to its charm. If you approach it without over thinking it you'll definetly have a few laughs.
  • Options
    PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's tat, but it's popular tat, so...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there has been a lot of chopping and changing of characters over the years.

I noticed the actress playing the judge was originally Maria's mother in the first BBC series.
  • Options
    ShadowlandsShadowlands Posts: 1,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Digital Spy still haven't reviewed it, I questioned them on it yesterday, and was told it was because there weren't any press screenings, seems a bit odd to me that a site that has covered the film extensively over the past week (Including from the premiere) haven't reviewed it yet, maybe they just can't get into the cinema.
  • Options
    PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Digital Spy still haven't reviewed it, I questioned them on it yesterday, and was told it was because there weren't any press screenings, seems a bit odd to me that a site that has covered the film extensively over the past week (Including from the premiere) haven't reviewed it yet, maybe they just can't get into the cinema.

As they said, no press screenings, no reviews. It's never a good sign when a film is not shown in advance to reviewers, as the majority of the time the film is considered a stinker by the studio/producers behind it.