Options

Fabricant storm in a teacup

smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
Forum Member
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-27939653

Yet again a Tory MP tweets something stupid and there are calls for the whip to be withdrawn, despite his apology.
A Conservative MP has apologised for saying he might end up punching a journalist "in the throat" if he appeared on a panel show with her.

He's admitted it was a stupid thing to tweet, time to move on and concentrate on important things in life rather than what minor MP says. Maybe politicians and celebrities should be banned from twitter as they just seem to make fools of themselves.

Comments

• Options
    DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its Yasmin Alibhai-Brown calling for the whip to be withdrawn which is no surprise as she will say anything to get herself in the papers. she is like some on these boards and goes totally over the top in her vicious hatred of the Tories at any opportunity not realising in the process it denigrates herself

Oh and this in no way condones what Fabricant said.
  • Options
    deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yasmin Alibhai-Brown started it after what she said about Rod Liddle. If she expects professionalism and people not to make silly comments, she should practice what she preaches.

It's not very likely that the MP actually meant he would punch her, just that she wound him up as much as Rod Liddle winds her up.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/06/19/rod-liddle-and-yasmin-alibhai-brown-have-outrageously-fierly-clash-on-channel-4-news_n_5512728.html

I have no words for how much I loathe you,” said journalist Yasmin Alibhai-Brown to Spectator columnists Rod Liddle. And that was probably the most cordial moment of a fiery segment on Thursday'sChannel 4 News about race, religion and British values.
  • Options
    MoxeyMoxey Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's depressing to see threats of violence towards a woman dismissed and trivialised as "stupid". Some people will go to any lengths, no matter how demeaning,to prop up a Tory politician.
  • Options
    bass55bass55 Posts: 18,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was an utterly stupid thing to say, but also important to point out it was not a threat of violence. He did not say he was going to punch her in the throat. Of course, he should have known better, and he has apologised.

I do not condone Fabricant's comments at all, but Yasmin Alibhai Brown is a vile, bigoted idiot. I see she is now claiming that Fabricant is a racist. This, coming from the woman who said she'd like to see white men become an endangered species.
  • Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moxey wrote: »
    It's depressing to see threats of violence towards a woman dismissed and trivialised as "stupid". Some people will go to any lengths, no matter how demeaning,to prop up a Tory politician.

Careful that high horse doesn't come back and kick you in the arse. People might start checking Browns previous witterings.
  • Options
    CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    Stupid thing to say. If everyone who said something stupid on twitter had the whip withdrawn we'd have no party MPs left though lol. Realistically they could suspend him for a day or two just for the look of the thing, but I doubt they will.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yet again a Tory MP tweets something stupid and there are calls for the whip to be withdrawn, despite his apology.

You mean "yet again an MP". Being stupid on Twitter is not the sole domain of Tory MPs.

Yes, a stupid thing to say but also stupid for anyone to take offence and take it literally. It's just a figure of speech. I've often said someone deserves a slap, but I don't really mean it.

Apology issued. Let's move on.
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He's admitted it was a stupid thing to tweet, time to move on and concentrate on important things in life rather than what minor MP says. Maybe politicians and celebrities should be banned from twitter as they just seem to make fools of themselves.

You start a new thread to tell people is time to move on? Follow your own advice!
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had assumed the title was a reference to his hairstyle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had assumed the title was a reference to his hairstyle.

If he does lose his job over this he can have another career as a Boris impersonator or his stunt double.
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    If he does lose his job over this he can have another career as a Boris impersonator or his stunt double.

Hmm...I'm not sure...Boris' hairstyle is more "had to get out of bed in a hurry because her husband/my wife came home unexpectedly" ;-)
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Yasmin alibhai-brown is wrong over this. It was a joke. a badly judged joke.

And for that she want s to ruin the man's career and disenfranchise the people of Lichfield. pathetic.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure that if Ed Balls had threatened to punch Melanie Phillips we'd be seeing exactly the same comments from posters . . . .

And you do realize that by posting negative comments about Alibhai-Brown in this thread you are implying that it somehow has a relevance to the MPs comments.
  • Options
    swaydogswaydog Posts: 5,653
    Forum Member
    I think Guido sums up the Holier than thou brigade's faux outrage.

"They seem to miss the “I could never” preface to his point. Predictable…"

Also I'm pretty sure I've Brown say something like "he should be shot" about someone she didn't like, on The Wright Stuff.

Should that be taken literally too and her arrested for inciting murder.
  • Options
    Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure that if Ed Balls had threatened to punch Melanie Phillips we'd be seeing exactly the same comments from posters . . . .

And you do realize that by posting negative comments about Alibhai-Brown in this thread you are implying that it somehow has a relevance to the MPs comments.
    It is relevant. It's people agreeing with him she is just awful. There was no threat, just a spot of hyperbole for which there needn't have been any apology. Especially considering she was demanding one that she never intended to accept anyway.
  • Options
    GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »
    Yasmin alibhai-brown is wrong over this. It was a joke. a badly judged joke.

And for that she want s to ruin the man's career and disenfranchise the people of Lichfield. pathetic.

Brilliant. MP threatens violence and the victim of the threat is "pathetic".

And how is the prospect of having the whip withdrawn "disenfranchising" his constituents? :confused:
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    What a fuss over nothing. They've just got this woman on Sky News now and the presenter introduced her as someone this man wanted to punch.

Which isn't even what he said! He came out with an expression that's all. Like someone saying 'If xx doesn't keep her mouth shut I'll kill her!'
    Or the old favourite. 'You're dead' or 'Do that and you're a dead man'
    Does anyone actually take these things seriously?!

And she's a very irritating woman, anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And how is the prospect of having the whip withdrawn "disenfranchising" his constituents? :confused:

He did not threaten violence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Who has threatened violence to whom? I see no threats.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bass55 wrote: »
    He did not threaten violence.

Oh! What exactly has he apologised for then?
  • Options
    Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because that's what public figures are supposed to do in the face of faux outrage these days.
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »

I thought he was sporting a Boris wig.:p
  • Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The same thing Milliband was apologising for over his picture holding the Sun - People being weirdly oversensitive self-righteous tw*ts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tony Tiger wrote: »
    Because that's what public figures are supposed to do in the face of faux outrage these days.

Is it? Again, if he didn't threaten violence what has he apologised for?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

For causing offence for a stupid comment. He should have known better. But he did not threaten to punch her, and you know that