Options

Inexplicably popular "celebs"?

Comments

• Options
    Daniel_GleeballDaniel_Gleeball Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Russell Brand is one that comes to mind. Reasonably intelligent but thinks he is a genius. Very self important.

Just by the way he highjacked Sam Allardyce's post match interview on match of the day, along with his latest book certainly shows what a self appointed messiah he has become.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zoella. Perhaps it's just my age but I don't understand how she's become famous just by giving make up tips on YouTube.
  • Options
    Mr_XcXMr_XcX Posts: 23,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    Zoella. Perhaps it's just my age but I don't understand how she's become famous just by giving make up tips on YouTube.

I agree with this.

I cannot understand how someone can have 2 million followers on twitter for just putting on mascara, get a best seller whilst not even writing their own book., whereas someone truly inspirational to young people like Malala is put into the sidelines.
  • Options
    wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Beckhams, I don't hate them but cannot for the life of me see why they are so popular and feted wherever in the world they go. David doesn't sing, dance, act, tell jokes or even present anything and comes across as plain boring during interviews, what does he do apart from turn up at events/promotions/premieres and smile? I like fashion, but Victoria's dresses are beyond dull, large colour blocks of clingy material that always seem ill fitting on the wearer, and make even the slimmest woman look like she's got a paunch. For me their popularity, sometimes to the point of hysteria, is one of life's mysteries :confused:
  • Options
    steven87gillsteven87gill Posts: 1,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going to lay down a controversial one:

Jennifer Lawrence. ducks from incoming stones :D

It's just that I hate this cult of celebrity being manufactured around her.

I get it, she's the ‘’kooky girl next door’’, whatever, you don't have to crawl up her bum looking for more reasons to love her.

I also don't understand the whole perception that she's a "real" woman by today's standards. She's bloody stunning, not ordinary or just "typical".

Sorry if I'm the only one to think this, & I don't mean to offend fans of her. But it does irk me. She’s a great actress, but I don't think she's anywhere near as good as people make out. She's been in a few harmless action movies and suddenly she's a trailblazer. Maybe it's down to the fact that I'm bothered by this ’’quirkiness’’ she's so constantly radiating at every opportunity, it seems false to me and to see it worshiped… bugs me.

Look, I’m not hating on the gal, I believe her character traits are genuine, but I also believe she's smart enough to emphasise her ‘’not just another Hollywood star’’ side to gain good PR.

Also, she’s a beautiful looking woman; don't kid yourself on that front. Better than 95% of the women you'd see walking down the street, that’s for sure. She's Hollywood good looking, no matter how ‘anti-fashion’ she’s made out to be by her fans.
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Batanya wrote: »

Russell Kane: Wearing tight trousers and make-up doesn't make you a gay icon, dear.

RK has dated several woman. Doesn't seem like something an aspiring
    "gay icon" would do.

http://www.theguardian.com/stage/2011/sep/18/russell-kane-interview
  • Options
    wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has me a Google page bookmarked which says 'comes out as gay' so I can check all the brothas n sistahs each day and I confess I had no idea who Connor Franta is.

You Tube vlogger with millions of fans or followers. It got me thinking of how many people are now celebrities via vlogs or You Tube. It must be 10s, maybe 100s of thousands now. Celebrity status to millions based on your views and personality as well as-or, a skill or talent you may have - direct to audience, no agent or management needed. Not knocking that at all, but just interesting how times have changed.
  • Options
    LondonCityGirl_LondonCityGirl_ Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    little mix, tulisa, tyra banks
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,992
    Forum Member
    Mr_XcX wrote: »
    One Direction: Irritants who just cannot disappear. All over ITV.

Two X Factor appearances and interviews on GMB and This Morning once or twice a year equals "all over ITV"?
  • Options
    Mr_XcXMr_XcX Posts: 23,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two X Factor appearances and interviews on GMB and This Morning once or twice a year equals "all over ITV"?

That's too much for me,

they where also on the Royal Variety as the "star" headline act closing the show. Which was a travesty considering some of the other talent that appeared on it this year.
  • Options
    ellesworthellesworth Posts: 919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can I add any X Factor rejects? My local radio are all over some Emily Middlemass person who as far as I can tell didn't even get to the final 10 z-list. Same with the one that went on I'm A Celeb...umm nk you're not. No one will remember you this time next year
  • Options
    FanntastikFanntastik Posts: 12,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gail force wrote: »
    I doubt that very much. She comes across in interviews as being a bit thick and void of any significant personality. Her whole career has been staged managed, from writers,producers and stylists on call 24 hours a day. Next you'll be telling us she is bigger than Madonna.
    Well you don't have to believe me but the writing credits are there. Her entire "Impossible Princess" was written by her. It wasn't a very successful record but nonetheless she had a lot of input.

Some hits she's also co-written - In Your Eyes, Love at First Sight, Slow, I Believe in You. So she does have input into her work.
  • Options
    axlgodaxlgod Posts: 658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joe Swash - I genuinely cannot understand a word that untalented clown says.
    Calvin Harris (if allowed) - music for chavs.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,992
    Forum Member
    Mr_XcX wrote: »
    That's too much for me,

they where also on the Royal Variety as the "star" headline act closing the show. Which was a travesty considering some of the other talent that appeared on it this year.

Ahhh sorry, I forgot that one other performance. Yes I agree, six appearances in 12 months is excessive!
  • Options
    DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    Completely agree with those.

I'd also add Lemon, O'Leary, Ant & Dec, Sarah Millican, Graham Norton, Alan Carr, Melanie Sykes, Myleene Klass, Cheryl Cole & Victoria Beckham to that list

I feel like the only person who isn't a fan of Ant & Dec
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    axlgod wrote: »
    Joe Swash - I genuinely cannot understand a word that untalented clown says.
    Calvin Harris (if allowed) - music for chavs.

Dislike anyone you like but to say 'music for chavs' is an absolutely ridiculous thing to say
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alan Carr
    Not a fan at all. I just don't find him funny. I think that most people find him funny because he is gay and smutty. Secondly a straight man most likely would find themselves in hot water for being so graphic in their humour.
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    You're not alone.
  • Options
    kazmartinskazmartins Posts: 1,428
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sootysoo wrote: »
    Cheryl Cole (or whatever she goes by these days)

Can't sing, dance or act, yet seems to be inexplicably popular. Oh right, she's attractive. Shallow or what.

as above
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    What may be inexplicable to you may be fully known and understood by others.

Since when can one person state that they know what ALL other folks think?

Yes, well that's why the OP asked.
    Hence the purpose of the thread.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alan Carr
    Not a fan at all. I just don't find him funny. I think that most people find him funny because he is gay and smutty. Secondly a straight man most likely would find themselves in hot water for being so graphic in their humour.

He always come across to me like a 70's caricature of what a gay man was supposed to be, is he actually popular in the gay community?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He always come across to me like a 70's caricature of what a gay man was supposed to be, is he actually popular in the gay community?

Very true. If a straight actor played a gay man like him the PC brigade would probably be jamming the phone lines.
    As regards to his popularity with the gay community it's a fair question but I don't know I'm afraid. I know his dad was a chief scout for Westham now Newcastle UTD. I know he tells a good sob story of how he felt father never accepted him, due to the machismo culture of his job.
  • Options
    ILoveMyDogILoveMyDog Posts: 26,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Kardashians are just dreadful
    Rihanna - Seems like a really unpleasant person
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No idea, but this gay man cannot stand him at all! :D

He's just not funny. I find Graham Norton just as bad too.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You are certainly not alone there!! :D