Handing in my Notice

Steveaki13Steveaki13 Posts: 655
Forum Member
✭✭
I have posted about work before.

Its reached breaking point.

My boss is nasty and the whole work atmosphere for 3 months as been awful and stressful. She has been bullying young staff and is very unconstructive in relations with her staff

However it has turned onto me now. Picking and putting me down for things that are not even my fault. I am one of the most important workers because I am full time and know how to use all the heavy equipment.

After today though I have had enough, I feel stressed, sad, despressed and like shouting.

I am going to send my resignation through. However the 2 weeks could be hell as she has no care for anyone and from what I have heard she will make my life misery.

So how would you give in and serve your notice in this situation

Comments

• Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Given you're at the end of the road, why not speak to someone higher up in the food chain about the issues? Nothing to lose at this point.
  • TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    Steveaki13 wrote: »

I'd find a new job first!

Just make sure she isn't on the verge of being ousted and she doesn't end up as your new boss somewhere else..
  • Steveaki13Steveaki13 Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its a small company and she is the owner.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also my health is becoming an issue, I feel stressed, have raised blood pressure and am getting head aches lately
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't worry about the hell you go through during your notice period, it sounds like you're pretty much at that point already. I would look for another job though, or you will still be stressed once you've left.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    VM123 wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about the hell you go through during your notice period, it sounds like you're pretty much at that point already. I would look for another job though, or you will still be stressed once you've left.

I will be fine once I have left. I am already looking for work but there will likely be an overlap as this has come out of the blue.
  • goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    good luck in finding a job
  • gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you have a citizens advice bureau near you?.Might be worth paying them a visit regarding the bullying at work.
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well instead of rushing to hand your notice in why don't you try talking to your boss first. She might be acting unreasonably because she is stressed herself. This doesn't excuse bad behaviour but many people are ratty at work because they feel under pressure. If something wasn't your fault then say so. The best way to get in your bosses good books is to make suggestions on how things could be improved or work more efficiently.

Carry on trying to find another job but you might regret leaving without another job to go to.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    haphash wrote: »
    Well instead of rushing to hand your notice in why don't you try talking to your boss first. She might be acting unreasonably because she is stressed herself. This doesn't excuse bad behaviour but many people are ratty at work because they feel under pressure. If something wasn't your fault then say so. The best way to get in your bosses good books is to make suggestions on how things could be improved or work more efficiently.

Carry on trying to find another job but you might regret leaving without another job to go to.

She has been through 15 employees for 4 places this year already and caused a previous mass quit. According to someone who has been around a while.

It appears she has always been the same, be horrible to employee's and they leave. She gets angry and starts a fresh with new employees
  • zz9zz9 Posts: 10,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My boss is nasty and the whole work atmosphere for 3 months as been awful and stressful. She has been bullying young staff and is very unconstructive in relations with her staff

However it has turned onto me now. Picking and putting me down for things that are not even my fault. I am one of the most important workers because I am full time and know how to use all the heavy equipment.

After today though I have had enough, I feel stressed, sad, despressed and like shouting.

I am going to send my resignation through. However the 2 weeks could be hell as she has no care for anyone and from what I have heard she will make my life misery.

No matter what your contract says you do not have to work this. You can hand in your resignation and walk out, though you won't be paid for that time obviously. Nothing she can do, she can't force you to work.

Or you could get your doctor to sign you off with stress and then hand in your resignation.

How long have you worked there? From your comments it doesn't appear long, which is a shame as had you been there two years you could walk out and file a Constructive Dismissal claim. To claim Constructive Dismissal you mustn't have got another job lined up, because then you will be deemed to be just leaving for that job.
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing to lose? Turn the tables - start having some fun with her. Shred her papers, delete her calendar entries etc. Only now and then though. Just enough to make her question her own sanity.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you handed in your notice, she will only be able to make your life hell, if you let her, you could walk out without notice if you chose, or you could turn the tables and make it hell for her, after all the worst she could do is sack you, but your leaving anyway.

The only thing to worry about is a reference, and they aren't the be all and end all.
  • CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    Sounds as though you're unlikely to get a reference whatever.

If you are set on leaving I would have a conversation along the lines of:

Can I have a word...I wanted to let you know that I can't take any more of your contempt and disrespect.

As a consequence I am giving you notice that I intend to leave.

I am prepared to work a short period of notice, on the understanding that your attitude towards me will be civil. If not I will leave immediately.

She then has a couple of options.

Either be reasonable with you, negotiates a mutual notice period, perhaps even apologises and trys to explain her behaviour / possibly asks that you reconsider (to which you could agree, subject to no future relapse on her part).

Or she could just continue with the abusive behaviour and probably sack you on the spot.

One piece of advice though. It is usually easier to get a job, when you've already got one.

Think before you jump.
  • wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Get free advice about handing in your notice and pay rights from the Acas Helpline.

Acas Helpline
    Telephone: 0300 123 1100
    Text relay: 18001 0845 747 47 47
    Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm
    Saturday, 9am to 1pm

https://www.gov.uk/handing-in-your-notice-resigning-leaving-job
  • duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing to lose? Turn the tables - start having some fun with her. Shred her papers, delete her calendar entries etc. Only now and then though. Just enough to make her question her own sanity.

:D

Op I was in a similar position, handed in my notice and doc signed me off so I didn't need to work it. Didn't miss in my resignation letter. I'd only been there three months so I can just leave it off my CV. I guess it depends how long you've been there, under two years and the chances are they know it doesn't really make a difference if you walk after being treated badly.

I was crying every night when I got home and got to the stage I was ready to thump him I was so at the end of my tether, so had to leave. If it's affecting your health and well being sometimes it's better to just walk away.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for your advice guys.

I have handed in my notice, I will work a slightly extended notice, meaning I have work until Christmas. Giving me extra time to look for work, if I can just hang on.

Also I have the knowledge that my time here is limited.
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She has been through 15 employees for 4 places this year already and caused a previous mass quit. According to someone who has been around a while.

It appears she has always been the same, be horrible to employee's and they leave. She gets angry and starts a fresh with new employees

Good grief - it's a wonder this person has managed to hold onto their business !!!
  • TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    Thanks for your advice guys.

I have handed in my notice, I will work a slightly extended notice, meaning I have work until Christmas. Giving me extra time to look for work, if I can just hang on.

Also I have the knowledge that my time here is limited.

Flirt with her outrageously.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,196
    Forum Member
    Stick it out until you can find a new job, all the while not letting her see that her attitude is affecting you.

Once you have confirmation of your new position at new employment, take a massive sh*t on her desk and then leave a note saying "Let this serve as both my immediate resignation AND what I think of you, personally, and your organisation. With regards, Steveaki13..."
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also my health is becoming an issue, I feel stressed, have raised blood pressure and am getting head aches lately

I've been in your shoes and know exactly what you're going through. I suggest you have a chat to your doctor, as you don't want to get ill over this.

Good luck. Bullying bosses are the worst kind of bastards (and cowards) you can get.