He has no phone. Plausible?

Indigo_JonasIndigo_Jonas Posts: 2
Forum Member
Hello. A long time lurker but first time poster so be nice :)

I work in a large company on the 1 st floor. Sometimes I have to go up to the 3rd floor to do photocopying etc and there I have been seeing a guy who I think is quite cute :) He smiles at me all the time and winks. He makes small talk too when there is a lull in the office.

I sent him a note explaining I would like to get to know him better and put my number at the bottom if he wants to get in touch. I didnt hear anything that night but when I went in this morning he corned me and said he hasnt got a phone at the moment but will hopefully get on on Friday and he will text me then. He said this twice. I thought it strange he didnt have a phone but didnt question it.

Is this plausible? If he didnt want to get to know me it would have been easier ignoring me right? I keep thinking the fact he cornered me to tell me he will text on Friday tells me he might but again Im not sure..

Any outside views appreciated. Thanks :)

Comments

• StockingsStockings Posts: 137
    Forum Member

I work in a large company on the 1 st floor. Sometimes I have to go up to the 3rd floor to do photocopying etc and there I have been seeing a guy who I think is quite cute :) He smiles at me all the time and winks. He makes small talk too when there is a lull in the office.

I sent him a note explaining I would like to get to know him better and put my number at the bottom if he wants to get in touch. I didnt hear anything that night but when I went in this morning he corned me and said he hasnt got a phone at the moment but will hopefully get on on Friday and he will text me then. He said this twice. I thought it strange he didnt have a phone but didnt question it.

Is this plausible? If he didnt want to get to know me it would have been easier ignoring me right? I keep thinking the fact he cornered me to tell me he will text on Friday tells me he might but again Im not sure..

Yes it is.
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well he might be someone who doesnt have a mobile, in which case I might have expected that he have a landline and so could have called you then.

Or, he might not have a landline but always only had a mobile, but his phone has broken or lost or whatever and he is waiting for the replacement or starting a new contract or whatever.

Or he might not actually want or have a landline or mobile phone. Its possible but not very likely.

I dont think he would have come up to you face to face if he wasnt interested, so just be patient.
  • scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So he will text you on Friday when he has a phone but not fully talk to you there and then, face to face. 'He also cornered' you.

Hmmmm . .

Plausible? Possibly not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So he will text you on Friday when he has a phone but not fully talk to you there and then, face to face. 'He also cornered' you.

Hmmmm . .

Plausible? Possibly not.

Well would you take your potential relationship/date a step further whilst in the office, or would you make plans for the 2 of you to talk in private when you are able to? I wouldnt approach someone and make plans for a date or romantic chit chat in the office.
  • Indigo_JonasIndigo_Jonas Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Scottie2121: We cant really talk in the office hence why I sent a note with my number its more a hi, bye thing with the odd smile and wink

Tiacat: Thankyou I will try to be patient lol :)
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    Well would you take your potential relationship/date a step further whilst in the office, or would you make plans for the 2 of you to talk in private when you are able to? I wouldnt approach someone and make plans for a date or romantic chit chat in the office.
    But texting isn't is talking. Is it? Is texting the new talking? :p Am I really old now? :o

OP - I agree that the office isn't the best place to conduct a romance, but then neither is texting, rather than talking, a good footing upon which to start. It's not as if the guy's shy, or afraid to talk to you, after all. It's plausible he hasn't got a phone, but the idea he can't communicate - well, sort of - with you until he gets one, when that's clearly not the case, is very odd to me. You exchange notes fine. Can't you arrange to meet up outside of work?

ETA - that all looks horribly negative written down. It's not meant to be. To answer your question, yes, it's entirely plausible he hasn't got a phone. The rest is just my bullshit amateur psychology ! :blush:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    But texting isn't is talking. Is it? Is texting the new talking? :p Am I really old now? :o

OP - I agree that the office isn't the best place to conduct a romance, but then neither is texting, rather than talking, a good footing upon which to start. It's not as if the guy's shy, or afraid to talk to you, after all. It's plausible he hasn't got a phone, but the idea he can't communicate - well, sort of - with you until he gets one, when that's clearly not the case, is very odd to me. You exchange notes fine. Can't you arrange to meet up outside of work?

ETA - that all looks horribly negative written down. It's not meant to be. To answer your question, yes, it's entirely plausible he hasn't got a phone. The rest is just my bullshit amateur psychology ! :blush:

Haha! Thanks I guess I will just have to be paitent
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're welcome. Incidentally, it helps to log in as the same user every time if you want to maintain credibility. :)
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ask him on a date in a note... More romantic than a text! Just ask him outright.
  • Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP - did you create the second alias so people wouldn't think you were being a bit slutty considering going out with the new employee at your local shop, and also the photcopy guy at your place of work? Either way - it's frowned at on Digital Spy. You might find that one, the other, or both, get banned pretty soon....
  • jojo01jojo01 Posts: 12,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

How very odd. OP posted her reply, but a different username appeared. I wonder what on earth is going on? ;-)

I do love DS and all its bonkersness.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should have given your email address instead.

Better still, simply try using face-to-face conversation. It's weird, I know, but it can be done with a bit of practice.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    You should just talk to him. Lunch break, after work? I can not see the point in waiting until Friday (so he can text you something) that he can say to your face right now.
  • jojo01jojo01 Posts: 12,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You should just talk to him. Lunch break, after work? I can not see the point in waiting until Friday (so he can text you something) that he can say to your face right now.

He may not know who to talk to though - the OP or Golden Goddess :D
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    jojo01 wrote: »
    He may not know who to talk to though - the OP or Golden Goddess :D

:D ...... Life's so complicated!
  • Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hello. A long time lurker but first time poster
    apparently not!
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm extremely ancient, and don't have a mobile phone (well I do, but I forgot where I put it sometime in 2004....) but this makes perfect sense to me.

The bloke the OP fancies is between mobile phones (it happens). Maybe he doesn't like to talk on the landline as he prefers to text - after all the OP is virtually a stranger to him, and he possibly feels unsure himself.

The text, which he will send as soon as he gets his new phone on Friday, will presumably set up some sort of meeting outside work, where they will not be overlooked by colleagues, so that if it all goes pear shaped no one will be any the wiser except the two main parties.

To me this seems as if he is
    I) keen
    ii) sensible
    iii) nice.

As for the OP fancying two different people (see post #11) it's not illegal, and there's nothing wrong with hedging your bets, imo.

Best of luck, OP. It won't be long till Friday. :)
  • Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member

Yes I never get this sort of thing. The person is right there talking to them and he has to wait till Friday, buy a phone and only then reply to you. Why not just say yes or no right there and then?

Recently two of my friends were at a ice hockey match and one tweeted something, which I favourited (to agree with) and then his friend who was at the same game sitting right next to him favorited it as well. I replied: "What is the point in doing that when you can just turn to him and say "Yes I agree!"?"

Seems that it's got so bad now that people just can't communicate normally and have to have an electronic device to do it.
    Forum Member
    I didn't have a mobile for years and then only got one after everyone on the planet had got one. Then all the people upgraded whilst I kept the old one. They would comment on my phone being so out-of-date and I would say "It still makes phone calls and that is what a phone in meant to do!".

Only last month I took the plunge and brought an Android smart phone - interesting/useful but 80% of it I don't use. (I don't go around with headphone and my entire music collection on it) GPS is interesting but I only use it to check that it shows that I'm outside the local supermarket that I know I'm standing outside off! :D
    Forum Member
    So...............

Am I the only one eagerly awaiting the update on Friday? :D
  • mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who is Indigo_Jonas? Who is GoldenGoddess? How many other IDs are there? :confused:
  • Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    Pretend to be interested in phones and ask to see it when he gets it. If it's a £7 mobile from Asda or something, he's probably got it just for you so that his wife doesn't find out. Given the inevitable cost of condoms, he probably sees £7 for a phone as a good investment.

If he whips out an iPhone 6 or something, he may be for real. Plenty of people don't have a mobile phone, it's the fact that he 'just happened' to be getting one a couple of days after you asked that is suspicious to me.
  • scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So...............

Am I the only one eagerly awaiting the update on Friday? :D

Possibly yes.
  • duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe he has sussed that you have a dual itentity and is nervouse
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duckylucky wrote: »
    Maybe he has sussed that you have a dual itentity and is nervouse

That sounds very sophisticated.

I didnt realise he was getting the phone in order to text her, I thought they were going to have a chat on the phone once he has a phone.
This discussion has been closed.