Ever done something nice and not got the reaction you hoped for?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,397
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just a thought. Got a friend who's not well and tried to do something nice for them, but was laughed at. I feel silly/humiliated. It doesn't really matter what it was, it was the gesture. Have any of you had similar experiences?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Occasionally.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
    Forum Member
    Yes, I learn my lesson though and won't help them again.

I have a neighbour who recently had surgery and is on crutches, as a favour I've been picking up shopping for him. After struggling home with half a dozen bags (I don't have a car) without so much as a "thank you" he complained I'd bought the wrong type of potatoes - and had a cheek to ask if I could take them back to exchange them! I told him where I'll take the potatoes... and it wasn't back to the shop.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Occasionally.

The thing is - I didn't want a medal or anything and I know they didn't ask me to do anything - I still would have appreciated a 'thank you'. Ah well - nevermind.
  • India_RainIndia_Rain Posts: 2,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ten years ago, my mum told me that one of my sisters and her husband were struggling financially, as my brother in law had his hours cut. So, next time I was round there, I offered my brother in law a job, working for me part time.
    My sister went into one and said it would be humiliating and degrading and she hasn't spoken to me since. I send them a Christmas card every year and never get one back now.

And I used to clean my old neighbour's windows for her, when I was doing mine...till she complained that I was leaving smears. :D
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    No good deed goes unpunished. My grandmother was queen of taking every nice jesture as a slight. She once flew into a rage with me because the Christmas card I gave her was a child's drawing. She accused me of trivialising her faith....can't win 'em all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    summerain wrote: »
    Yes, I learn my lesson though and won't help them again.

I have a neighbour who recently had surgery and is on crutches, as a favour I've been picking up shopping for him. After struggling home with half a dozen bags (I don't have a car) without so much as a "thank you" he complained I'd bought the wrong type of potatoes - and had a cheek to ask if I could take them back to exchange them! I told him where I'll take the potatoes... and it wasn't back to the shop.

Not nice is it?

The person I attempted to do something nice for said that my gesture was silly and pointless.
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    India_Rain wrote: »
    Ten years ago, my mum told me that one of my sisters and her husband were struggling financially, as my brother in law had his hours cut. So, next time I was round there, I offered my brother in law a job, working for me part time.
    My sister went into one and said it would be humiliating and degrading and she hasn't spoken to me since. I send them a Christmas card every year and never get one back now.

And I used to clean my old neighbour's windows for her, when I was doing mine...till she complained that I was leaving smears. :D

That's so sad!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
    Forum Member
    MrsBambi wrote: »
    Not nice is it?

The person I attempted to do something nice for said that my gesture was silly and pointless.

It isn't nice :( I can only assume they weren't brought up with any manners. Even if deep down you felt it was silly and pointless, you certainly don't tell the person! It really is the thought that counts, shame this person doesn't give any thought to others...

I was called a "fool" by a mutual friend for helping, the guy I helped didn't need to say it, I felt like one. I initally offered to pick up essentials, like milk and bread, instead I was handed a massive list. People just make mugs of you if you let them.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrsBambi wrote: »
    Just a thought. Got a friend who's not well and tried to do something nice for them, but was laughed at. I feel silly/humiliated. It doesn't really matter what it was, it was the gesture. Have any of you had similar experiences?

Yes, often. It's the reason I don't do anything nice anymore, leastways not publically.

People either look at you gone out, as though you're a nutter, or it gets overlooked without a single acknowledgement. Or they think you're doing it for something in return.

Either that, or "Oh I couldn't possibly accept that" ~ fine, well don't. Sod you, ingrate :rolleyes:
  • SecretSmilerSecretSmiler Posts: 1,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i once offered my unexpired car parking ticket to an elderly gent walking the pay point

I cant remember exactly what he said but it was very rude - I felt quite humiliated:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,845
    Forum Member
    A few years ago, in the UK, my mama bought this hair dye called 'grey chic', little did i know that it was supposed to cover grey (which imo, my mama does not have), and when she put it on she asked me how it looked, 'grey' said I in all stupid innocence thinking i was giving her a compliment.

She spent the rest of the day washing and re-washing her hair, luckily it was a semi-permanent dye.
  • varialectiovarialectio Posts: 2,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You just have to remember the saying "Virtue is it's own reward"
  • Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I once bought an ex partner an expensive bit of gym equipment after he'd been saying he wanted to get fit but couldn't afford to join the gym.

I was accused of only buying presents that I wanted myself - even though I'm well known for choosing thoughtful and personal presents for everyone else.

Oh well, that's why he's an ex! And he took the bloody thing with him when he left :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    summerain wrote: »
    It isn't nice :( I can only assume they weren't brought up with any manners. Even if deep down you felt it was silly and pointless, you certainly don't tell the person!

I was called a "fool" by a mutual friend for helping, the guy I helped didn't need to say it, I felt like one. I initally offered to pick up essentials, like milk and bread, instead I was handed a massive list. People just make mugs of you if you let them.

You weren't a fool - you were doing someone who was vulnerable a favour. It's showing kindness - you don't expect to have it thrown back in your face.

I didn't know how to react to my friend's reaction - I was going to send him something in the post (just some sweets I know he likes and a card), because he's dislocated his shoulder and has some knee problems and is in some pain - which he loves reminding me of. He had to go to A&E but won't be operated on for another three months or so. I thought I'd cheer him up by sending something small (but not OTT). I would have sent it but couldn't remember the correct address and so had to call to confirm the flat number. He asked why I needed it and so I had to explain. When he found out he said it was really pointless and stupid since he's "not completely incapacitated". He said that "maybe if (he) was in hospital it'd be different".

He'll be lucky if I even bother to visit him when he has to go into hospital now. I was really hurt by what he said - I went really silent on the phone and haven't spoken to him for a couple of days now.

summerain - I totally agree with you. Even if you think the idea is stupid, keep it to yourself! It's basic manners.
  • GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Donkey's years ago my younger sister, she was 15 at the time, told me one of her friends was shoplifting and trying to get her to do it. My sister didn't want to but wouldn't stand up to this so called friend and asked if I'd have a word with her as I knew and had been at school with the girls brother. On the way home from work I saw my sisters friend and had a quiet word. It fell on death ears and I got a mouthful of abuse from her. Later I got another mouthful of abuse, from my sister because apparently I'd had a go at her and upset her.
  • hugsiehugsie Posts: 17,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    India_Rain wrote: »

Did you offer him a job cleaning your toilets or something?:eek:;)
  • India_RainIndia_Rain Posts: 2,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hugsie wrote: »
    Did you offer him a job cleaning your toilets or something?:eek:;)

You'd think so, wouldn't you? Nope..was a job driving for me. :confused: