I feel bad for turning this woman down to watch the boxing tonight. Advice needed?

marc_p88marc_p88 Posts: 1,133
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I met her a few weeks back, we've spoken on the phone etc, but she's 42 and has 3 teenagers. She is a nice person and we have been meaning to meet, but our schedules have made it difficult for us to meet up. Tonight she invited me over to her's and I was going to go, but I decided to go to a friends and watch the boxing instead.

I spoke to her this morning and she was really cheery and happy to see me, but now she's not responding to my texts. I feel quite bad and need to make it up to her somehow. The problem is, every two weeks her kids go to her mum's for the night and so that is why tonight was perfect for her.

I text her saying hopefully we can meet up in two weeks and I'll definitely come see her. It is just tonight I really wanted to watch the boxing and it's a once in a lifetime event tonight; biggest boxing event in history and 80,000 at Wembley.

How do I make this situation between us cool again?

Comments

• NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember a time when Jackanory was half-decent.
  • Bob_WhingerBob_Whinger Posts: 1,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    loser
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Watch the boxing with her, it's not gender inclusive.
  • PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Invite her to watch the boxing.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    I remember a time when Jackanory was half-decent.

To be fair, if Bernard Cribbins was reading this out loud it'd at least be slightly more bearable.
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    marc_p88 wrote: »
    How do I make this situation between us cool again?

Turn on some of that foolproof daygaming charm, she'll forgive you in no time.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd take the boxing anyway. If she doesn't like it, tough shit.
  • AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    What does the Daystalking manual advise?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest OP if she is going to blow you off after just today then she probably isn't worth it, if she really likes you she'll want to rearrange another date, the same goes for you, just make an effort to rearrange something special with her. Does she like surprises? Maybe call a florist to deliver some flowers in your name, should cheer her up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    After she spent the whole day getting ready? Cleaning the house, choosing her outfit, washing her hair! Bet she's been looking forward to it since you first planned it and then you ditch her to watch the boxing? You got her hopes up and then stamped on them, to watch the boxing.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3sweet5u wrote: »
    To be honest OP if she is going to blow you off after just today then she probably isn't worth it, if she really likes you she'll want to rearrange another date, the same goes for you, just make an effort to rearrange something special with her. Does she like surprises? Maybe call a florist to deliver some flowers in your name, should cheer her up.

It sounds to me like the problem is more that that's what she ISN'T going to do.
  • Incognito777Incognito777 Posts: 2,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The most overhyped fight ever.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biggest boxing event in history? The hype machine works well anyway
  • marc_p88marc_p88 Posts: 1,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watch the boxing with her, it's not gender inclusive.

No, because it's on PPV. I'm not inviting her to watch boxing with me and my mates.

I do feel bad, though. She was looking forward to seeing me this morning.
  • FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair she isn't likely to ditch you for dropping out one date, most people just wouldn't be that over sensitive, not unless she just wasn't into you anyway.

She may be annoyed at you for a bit though.
  • iSupposeSoiSupposeSo Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    Without wishing to sound rude, if you felt that bad you wouldn't have turned her down. I'm not surprised she's annoyed, I would be too. Esp as you're saying another 2 weeks to wait, wouldn't be as bad with an alternative date much sooner.

Am I right in interpreting this as you changed the original plans you had with her? If so that is bad, if not then it'll prob work itself out if you were meant to be.
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solarflare wrote: »
    Biggest boxing event in history? The hype machine works well anyway

I know, it's nowhere near as big as the Balboa v Lang rematch.
  • AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    I know, it's nowhere near as big as the Balboa v Lang rematch.

Nah, Drago vs Balboa pretty much single handedly ended the Cold War so I'll go with that one. ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CarrisJ wrote: »
    After she spent the whole day getting ready? Cleaning the house, choosing her outfit, washing her hair! Bet she's been looking forward to it since you first planned it and then you ditch her to watch the boxing? You got her hopes up and then stamped on them, to watch the boxing.

Don't say that, that makes feel even worse. I think she has been doing all of that today as well.
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member

If this story isn't Jackanory, a woman as described is the one being "blown off" and OP isn't worth her valuable time. The flowers idea is hopeless, OP should go mow the lawn or paint the garage door at least. :D
  • FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't say that, that makes feel even worse. I think she has been doing all of that today as well.

Why don't you turn up and take her out? I mean, its only a boxing match.
  • iiHEARTy0uiiHEARTy0u Posts: 13,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aw i think thats kinda unfair

She has 3 teenagers so obviously doesnt get much alone time. I would be pissed off too!

Totally agree with the flowers idea. That would make her feel special and show you are interested.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What's the old expression "treat 'em mean, keep 'em keen" ;-)

I honestly wouldn't worry OP. Treat this as a test. If she's really interested in you, she won't let this put her off.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Tell the truth, there was no woman for you to turn down. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iSupposeSo wrote: »
    Without wishing to sound rude, if you felt that bad you wouldn't have turned her down. I'm not surprised she's annoyed, I would be too. Esp as you're saying another 2 weeks to wait, wouldn't be as bad with an alternative date much sooner.

Am I right in interpreting this as you changed the original plans you had with her? If so that is bad, if not then it'll prob work itself out if you were meant to be.

Problem is, I have cancelled on her twice before this. One time I had some family issues and a couple weeks ago I to fill in at work for a colleague who called in sick. Both were genuine reasons, but this one just seems like I don't care. I text her about hour and half ago and she hasn't answered with anything yet. To make it worse, when I said I would have to cancel, she said "I was half expecting you too anyway" and what she said there is what made me feel bad. I told her on the phone earlier that when I go over I could stream the fight online and she was fine with it, but then my mate invited me to watch it at his with a couple mates and it would be in HD. So it was either watch it on a low quality stream or HD on a nice tv.
This discussion has been closed.