Buffy The Vampire Slayer - A General Discussion Thread

Comments

• NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    I've only ever watched series 1 to 3 regularly as I went right off it when they left the school, went to university and introduced Tara and Dawn. I've never seen any of series 5, 6 or 7.

Watch 5 and experience the perfect ending :)
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Off topic if you're talking about television, but I love the cover to Buffy season 9 issue 23, there's really good art in that series:

http://i455.photobucket.com/albums/qq279/jcrx_album/BuffyS92300-Noto-d9354_zps276767c5.jpg
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    NinjyBear wrote: »
    Watch 5 and experience the perfect ending :)

Well I'm thinking of getting all of the series I've not seen as I'd love to know how it all ends in series 7. I guess I just really liked the original gang of Buffy, Willow, Xander, Giles, Angel and Cordelia, and later Oz. The only thing I really remember from series 4 was despising Riley.
  • SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,903
    Forum Member
    Just seen that the entire run of Buffy is on Netflix. Enjoyed the show as a teen and watched a couple of seasons when it was shown on BBC2 at 6:45, but soon lost track of it and never picked up on it again. So many people have said it's one of their favourite shows of all time so I'm looking forward to watching the entire thing soon. May come into this thread for a bit of discussion too.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me, buffy never went downhill or lost track. It never got to the point where it became unwatchable or "jumped the shark". All seven seasons are fabulous in their own way. They all have their flaws, but buffy for me is one of the very very very few shows that never lost it's way.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    For me, buffy never went downhill or lost track. It never got to the point where it became unwatchable or "jumped the shark". All seven seasons are fabulous in their own way. They all have their flaws, but buffy for me is one of the very very very few shows that never lost it's way.

Nicely put and I definitely agree with this.
  • rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree,it has a few so so episodes but they are not bad enough you don't want to watch them,the early buffy episodes were a little cheesy sometimes but thats not a bad thing though.

i've watched it through about 5 times fully & enjoyed it everytime,the only other series i can do that with is stargate SG-1.
    there is 1 specific bit i always cringe at in season 7 is the xander caleb moment (i'm sure you know what it is) i don't want to spoil it for those in this thread who don't know but i always look away
    Forum Member

Why did I not like series 4 then? *a rhetorical question* I wish I knew! I didn't like Riley at all, and I really disliked Dawn and Tara. Anyway, I'm going to get 4-7 and try again. I've not seen any of series 4 since it was shown on TV so maybe I'll have changed my opinion. The only one I remember loving was the episode with Buffy and the demon room-mate who played Cher all the time. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Series 4 was a learning curve for the show. The show dealt with the move from high school to college, plus the loss of Angel and Cordelia. In the early episodes, you couldn't work out what direction they were going in. But by mid-season, things came into action.
  • munkyfellovermunkyfellover Posts: 2,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't particularly fond of the whole Initiative thing either, I adore the rest of the show though.
  • RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm now about halfway though season 4 and it's definitely a big stepdown from season 3 so far - although 'Hush' was great. There is a lot more goofiness in this season which I'm not a fan off.
    Forum Member
    Rocketpop wrote: »
    I'm now about halfway though season 4 and it's definitely a big stepdown from season 3 so far - although 'Hush' was great. There is a lot more goofiness in this season which I'm not a fan off.

Series 3 was so good I guess it was always going to be hard to maintain that standard within a new setting. I wish they could've kept them at school for longer though, and kept Cordelia and Angel. The gang was broken up at the end of series 3 and, for me, the gang is one of the reasons BtVS was so watchable. Watched 'Hallowe'en' from series 2 last night and loved it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Series 3 was so good I guess it was always going to be hard to maintain that standard within a new setting. I wish they could've kept them at school for longer though, and kept Cordelia and Angel. The gang was broken up at the end of series 3 and, for me, the gang is one of the reasons BtVS was so watchable. Watched 'Hallowe'en' from series 2 last night and loved it.

I know what you mean about keeping them in school for longer,xander didn't really have anything do for ages,just kind of hung around,nothing wrong with season 4 it was still good.

having watched the gang grow up in school for 3 years it was always going to be a little strange seeing them out in the real world sort of thing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ummmmm..... All I cab say on this is that series 6 was gold, I thought it was probably the best series and certainly had the best episode in it. :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 224
    Forum Member
    Season 4 is my favourite :D

It's definitely not OBJECTIVELY the best season, but it is the one I love most. It just has so many of my favourite Buffy moments, and I like the college setting and the group growing apart and so on...it's very much a transition season. And it has:

Giles singing
    Buffy/Spike wedding shenanigans
    Giles taking a moment out of his monster identity crisis to chase Professor Walsh down the street (because you would!)
    Utterly brilliant Faith/Buffy bodyswap
    Oz heartbreak :(
    Buffy vs bench
    Harmony!
    Hush, still scary and hilarious after all these years
    Lots of Anya snark
    Spike as Giles' annoying roommate
    The layers upon layers upon layers of foreshadowing and character work in Restless
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    laparure wrote: »

It's definitely not OBJECTIVELY the best season, but it is the one I love most. It just has so many of my favourite Buffy moments, and I like the college setting and the group growing apart and so on...it's very much a transition season. And it has:

Giles singing
    Giles taking a moment out of his monster identity crisis to chase Professor Walsh down the street (because you would!)
    Buffy vs bench
    Harmony!
    Lots of Anya snark
    The layers upon layers upon layers of foreshadowing and character work in Restless

It's not my favourite season but it is one of my favourites. After three (great) mythology heavy seasons I found season 4 a refreshing change of pace. As well as the things you mentioned above, I enjoyed seeing the fantasy world mixing with the military. It made a good point showing that humans can be just as nasty with science and weapons as demons with claws and fangs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah that was pretty funny,giles for me had so many great 1 liners & funny moments,especially in the later seasons
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harmony was awful, she did nothing for me, she was wooden and just awful. I never warmed to her not even in Angel. I did end up warming to Cordelia in Angel but I still hate her in Buffy. :D
    Forum Member
    Harmony was awful, she did nothing for me, she was wooden and just awful. I never warmed to her not even in Angel.

Agreed. She'd be in my list of worst characters for sure.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Giles singing
    Buffy vs bench
    Harmony!
    Lots of Anya snark

Agreed i mean i LOVE all 7 seasons in different ways...as all 7 offered something different in pace, tone, feel, arc, storyline...but for me season 4 is my favourite too.

For those reasons and more...it felt like a risk well taken when you saw it...the change up in location and tone really set itself a new standard and i loved the independant feel and vibe across the 22 episodes...it felt like a real journey summarised in Restless season finale so well :) Many classic episodes and for the first ever time it showcased the arc itself wasnt what moved the season forward but the characters :) the Initiative/Adam concept was very much a showcase of that as only 6 episodes of season 4 were that "arc heavy". Plus as noted it contains some of the very best episodes ever :)
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just started watching Angel! Never got into it before, but now I'm addicted! So gutted Doyle died :'(! AND then when I went to drool over the actor, found he died irl too :-[
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    Just started watching Angel! Never got into it before, but now I'm addicted! So gutted Doyle died :'(! AND then when I went to drool over the actor, found he died irl too :-[

The actor who played Lorne died as well, a few years after the show ended. :(
  • Judas82Judas82 Posts: 239
    Forum Member
    RIP Glenn Quinn and Andy Hallett aka Doyle and Lorne and thank you for your contribution in making Angel the series the classic it is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have always been a bit confused about Doyle's departure.

Did the actor leave or was he intended to only be a short time character anyway?
    Forum Member
    I have always been a bit confused about Doyle's departure.

Did the actor leave or was he intended to only be a short time character anyway?

The official story is that he was always intended to be a short-term character to show that Angel was more of a grown-up show than Buffy, but there were also a lot of rumours that Glenn Quinn was difficult to work with.