Humax iPlayer Connecting...

2»

Comments

• Frank1Frank1 Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    geddit wrote: »

If the Humax is not set to DHCP mode it will not connect, even if the manual settings are correct - it says "Connecting..." but it isn't even trying! Humax could not explain why firmware 26 has 'improved manual network settings' when everyone will be forced to use DHCP mode!

So it looks like...
    Those with static ips like me will have to change as shown by Mikey_T

This is not true or not the whole story - not sure which:

Since the last software update, mine has been on manual network settings and is working fine with iPlayer.
    Previously, the Humax was corrupting any manually entered default gateway requiring DHCP to be used.

Frank
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    Thanks Frank - I knew it would be more complicated. I was just relaying what Freesat and Humax had told me - specifically that it will not work unless DHCP mode is selected. This is how the majority of people use it. The fact that yours works on Manual now confuses what I was told.

Just to be sure, on the manual network screen, did you set up the IP Address, Subnet, Router IP, and DNS IP exactly the same way as with your PC? (I assume you have one).

Oh I notice you have the HDR - this may work differently to the non-record box, perhaps?

Regards
  • larkimlarkim Posts: 1,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the general networking point, it seems to me that it might be wise to rethink the use of static IPs in general (at least in the way that you have done it).

I've found that the best way to use a static address (if that is necessary) is to set any device on first connecting to the network to use DHCP. Then, within the router itself, tell the router to reserve this IP address for this device. This way the device believes it is using DHCP, but in fact the device is only ever allocated the same IP address.

Most routers that I've seen over the last few years are capable of this, though I accept that this won't work in every situation. Plus, moving devices from "puka" static addresses to this "reserved" DHCP addressing might be a pain. From memory my router would allow me to manually enter the reservation settings (both IP address and MAC address) so I could guarantee that any static devices on my network would get the same IP address if I switched them from static to DHCP, but again YMMV!

Matt
  • Frank1Frank1 Posts: 360
    Forum Member

Just to be sure, on the manual network screen, did you set up the IP Address, Subnet, Router IP, and DNS IP exactly the same way as with your PC? (I assume you have one).

Yes, exactly the same.
    Oh I notice you have the HDR - this may work differently to the non-record box, perhaps?
    Regards

That maybe the significant bit as the manual settings bug may not have been fixed in the HD, whereas it HAS been fixed in the HDR.

Frank
  • GaseousClayGaseousClay Posts: 4,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frank1 wrote: »
    That maybe the significant bit as the manual settings bug may not have been fixed in the HD, whereas it HAS been fixed in the HDR.

Frank

They were both fixed

http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/support/downloadcenter_model.aspx?category_seq=65

http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/support/downloadcenter_model.aspx?category_seq=61
  • Dan the VanDan the Van Posts: 1,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to be sure, on the manual network screen, did you set up the IP Address, Subnet, Router IP, and DNS IP exactly the same way as with your PC?

Each device on your network has to have it's own IP address, so if your PC is 192.168.0.88 then Humax must be different say 192.168.0.100, the Router and DNS address would be the same.
    Network mask would also need to be that of your network. Most home networks use a Class C mask which is 255.255.255.0.

Hopefully you know this already but it is worth the reminder for those who are not network aware

Dan.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    This still gets more and more confusing - hopefully someone from the Beeb, Humax or Foxsat will eventually find out what is wrong before the 'trial' is over.

So far, those with an HD box can only get iPlayer working with DHCP on - and this is the only configuration Freesat/Humax will help with.

It appears HDR boxes will work with manually set IP addresses, so there is hope.

It is reported that the Manual setting fix in ver 26 only stopped the manual settings from being corrupted - not necessarily the fix to the connecting... hang up.

Thanks, Dan. Yes I was only asking Frank to confirm that he had set his HDR using the same principles as his PC, not with the same IP - I did not imagine he could have done anything different (after all its not rocket science!) but as I'm clutching at straws I thought I had better check.

Whether I have been given the correct information or not, I now firmly believe the problem lies in the Humax HD firmware or the Beeb iPlayer page. But...

Jay
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I had the same problem but switching to DHCP long enough to get an IP address seemed to be enough to get Iplayer working. I switched back to manual and Iplayer still worked fine. I guess the DHCP check is just a one off - or maybe the Iplayer download is cached?
    Anyway this might be helpful to for some people.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 491
    Forum Member
    To help us answer this I think
    You are also using google DNS, does anyone know what the url is being used for iPlayer via a Freesat system. maybe google DNS can not resolve the name.
    Does anyone know the answer to this question? I have a similar problem that I am pretty certain is a DNS issue. For various reasons I use an alternative (fixed) DNS server in my router and have to manually add many URLs for connected devices to be able to access them. I already have to do this for bbc.co.uk to see their site on connected PCs and use iPlayer. Neither my Humax nor my Wii can access iPlayer content with their embedded applications so I am assuming content is accessed via another url for which I need to know the details to insert into my DNS database...

Any information greatly received.....