Loud neighbours

1235»

Comments

• Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote:
    To be honest you must have incredible powers of hearing to be able to hear a bathroom pull switch through 2 walls, leave aside having ear plugs in as well.

I wouldn't have thought it possible for the sound from that to travel that far, let alone be perceptible to human ears. To a cat possibly, but a person ? :confused:
    I have been diagnosed as being hypersensitive to certain sounds.

But honest I think even you would be able to hear the click with ear plugs in as the sound proofing is the equivalent of being in a glass house.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote:
    Sometimes I think the best way to live is on a canal houseboat where you can move around at will.

Or at least to have one as a retreat for some peaceful times.
    I've spent a night on a canal boat. It was lovely. It does depend where you moor up tho, as you get the walkers in the evening.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is an article on the ITV news about a group of mums trying to battle anti social behaviour.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do think that once you have been annoyed by a certain noise or noises, there is a tendency to be more sensitive in the future.

I've read this thread with interest, and certainly agree with this statement at least so far as I'm concerned.

Some years ago we bought a house, and shortly afterwards the neighbour (a doctor) and his family went abroad. They let the house to nurses and 14 of them moved in. To start with the noise wasn't too bad, but after a while it became so unbearable I landed up having a nervous breakdown. The comings and goings at all hours, the parties, the screaming, shouting, banging, loud music etc made our lives hell. Added to this the owners had had all the floors sanded, so there were no carpets on the floors to aborb sound. It was in the days before Councils would do much, so we went to Solicitors. Eventually it was let to 5, but by that time we'd moved fortunately into a detached house. I've always been fortunate enough to live in detached properties ever since, but I can quite understand how noisy neighbours can affect people especially healthwise.
  • Options
    LaChatteGitaneLaChatteGitane Posts: 4,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrfreeze wrote:
    It's not just the loudness tho. It's bass noise I can not stand, with some people who have my condition even the low hum of a fluorescent light can drive them mad, with me it bass sounds even at a low level that others can not hear.
    Sometimes I hear noises that other only hear once I've pointed them out.

BTW I have asked the Doctors to make me deaf, but they won't do it. If the council can't find me somewhere quiet to live then I'll go to court to be made deaf if I have to.
    There are still a few habitable caves not too far from where I live no next door neigbours either :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had problems with noisy neighbours in the past. First in a flat with an insomniac half deaf TV addict upstairs who used to have his TV blaring all night. I complained many times and he'd be very apologetic and switch it down for a night or so but never for too long - in the end I had no choice but to move.

Moved into a lovely 30's built semi with solid walls and don't hear anything from the house we're attached to but the garden is a different matter. The original neighbours had 3 football crazy boys, two of them 8 year old twins and they used to play football in the garden for 6 hours at a time and then just kick a ball against a wall for hours on end - drove us mad and we were not able to use our garden or sit in the back rooms of the house because the noise drove us mad - I hated the summer and longed for constant rain and cold weather. No point complaining since they were only kids and you can't stop them playing - all day and into the evening was a bit much though. After 3 years of this we were just starting to consider moving again when the good lord looked down on us and they moved instead. New neighbours moved in a few months ago, quiet couple (like us), no kids, no dogs, no noise, its heaven.

So, basically if you do have noisy neighbours there really is no point complaining and moaning, you have 2 options:-

1. You move
    2. You wait for them to move
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    peebly wrote: »
    Noise problems, easy to solve.

Do the same as them, they have to sleep sometime, when they turn there dance music off; you put your highland bagpipe classics on.

After a few days they will get the message.

Hee hee:D

Better still learn to play them, the practicing will drive em nuts:D
  • Options
    Mrs DoodlesMrs Doodles Posts: 4,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have a gobby chav living 3 days down she has always for the music on really loud either that or she is always out in the road arguing with her boyfriend or screaming at her 8 yr old...

She drives a scruffy clapped out old fiesta which you can hear a mile off as she has the music on so loud! :mad: