Potty Training!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 564
Forum Member
✭✭
Just a quick question. Currently potty training my son who is nearly 3 and was wondering if I should use pull up pants or not when we go out?
I don't want to confuse him into thinking its a nappy but I'm not too keen on accidents when we're out. Do I bother with them or just go straight to underwear? Any advice would be good!

Comments

• Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    We tried pull ups but they didn't really work as the little bugger was quite happy just to go in them as they were pretty much the same as a nappy. We had weeks of charts and sitting on the potty for ages each day, but it never seemed to click. We ended up going straight into 'big boy' pants. There were a couple of failed attempts as i think we tried before he was really ready, but the last time it just worked and he was essentially went from nappys to fully potty trained and using the proper toilet (with kiddy seat) in a few days,

Every child is different though so its just a matter of trying and seeing what works for you. If he doesn't seem to be getting it though i definitely recommend waiting another month or so before trying again instead of pushing it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    I use pull ups when out and about for ease, with both mine. But I was careful to call them pants and not nappies, with my daughter they were a necessity as she loved pinging the Velcro on nappies and leaving them behind :D

You can try them, and if they don't work or you don't like them, no harm done!
  • SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't go down the route of putting him in those padded pants - like Vast Girth says, he will just think it's his nappy. Ordinary pants from now on, and carry a few spares with you. He'll quickly realise what happens if he doesn't tell mum or dad he wants the loo - uncomfortable wet or dirty pants once or twice and that will be it. Keep asking him all the time if he wants the toilet, and take him to one in any case if you happen to be passing one - they might say they don't want to go but they always manage to squeeze a wee out anyway ! Might take him a bit longer until he's dry at night though, so carry on with a nappy for that. Concentrate on doing away with nappies during the day first, getting that well established before you try at bedtimes. My two boys were about 3½ before we got them dry at nights as well :)
  • Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My daughter always thought pull ups were nappies, so I don't really see a difference. Just make sure you take him to the loo before you go out and remind him every time he has had a drink or every hour or so that he should tell you when he wants to pee (or take him to the loo).

I started potty training at 18 months (early according to some) and it took about 6 months to get her dry, but by the age of 2 she was completely dry during the day. A few months later she told me that she didn't want a nappy at nights either, as it's uncomfortable and she's "not a baby". I now get her to pee straight before bedtime and she's dry at nights too.
  • trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you are using normal pants while at home then I'd use them when you go out as well. Don't worry about accidents, just take an extra set of clothes out with you for the time being.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    we make it fun to use potty - also just found this helpful freebie!

http://www.brollysheets.co.uk/shop/Child/FREE+Potty+Training+Activity+Kit.html
  • technology_lovetechnology_love Posts: 3,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My son is 3 and a half.
    Still in nappies and we are struggling.

He was diagnosed ASD mild end and is 18 months behind on his speech.

Nothing really to offer except to wish you good luck!

ps: we also use pullups for now, all good.
  • Rhino HornRhino Horn Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just come out of the other side of potty training my daughter. Fortunately she got it very quickly.

In front of the Health Visitor when I went to get her sister weighed she did a wee (day 2 of training). The HV said to me that a good option if they are not getting the idea is to put normal pants on with a nappy over the top. That way they get the sensation of being wet but no mess for you...

I haven't tried it, but thought it was an option worth sharing. Good luck!

P.S. a chocolate button for every wee on the potty worked wonders...
  • Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rhino Horn wrote: »
    I've just come out of the other side of potty training my daughter. Fortunately she got it very quickly.

In front of the Health Visitor when I went to get her sister weighed she did a wee (day 2 of training). The HV said to me that a good option if they are not getting the idea is to put normal pants on with a nappy over the top. That way they get the sensation of being wet but no mess for you...

BIB - Absolutely! Treats (not stickers) worked for my daughter. She couldn't care less about the stickers but would do anything for a sweet :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks all for the advice! We're still struggling with it. He's not too bad home, will use the potty some of the time but out and about is not so good. He goes and doesn't tell me, so I'm constantly changing his clothes and I feel like I'm washing all the time!!! Its a real hassle but I'm definately going to try giving rewards and the nappy over the top of pants idea might be worth a go too.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    allyackles wrote: »
    Just a quick question. Currently potty training my son who is nearly 3 and was wondering if I should use pull up pants or not when we go out?
    I don't want to confuse him into thinking its a nappy but I'm not too keen on accidents when we're out. Do I bother with them or just go straight to underwear? Any advice would be good!

My three year old suddenly toilet trained just before his 3rd birthday, it all happened within two days after we tried for a year :D Anyway, we use pull ups at night and when we take him out just in case, but he still asks for the toilet even with pull ups on, he even gets out of bed and goes to the loo before he falls asleep.

OP don't make a big thing of it, put them on him just incase but keep asking him every 20mins or so!
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rhino Horn wrote: »

We used one malteser for a No1 and two for a No2!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    My daughter was not interested at all in potty training - refused to sit on potty, would sit on toilet seat until she realized she had to stop playing to go to the toilet..... :mad:

I'm not sure I even agree with myself on this :o but one weekend we just left her without a nappy - she wet herself about 3 times - and she started telling us when she needed to go to the toilet. We then introduced pull ups for going out/shopping trips/car journeys etc using the 'their big girl knickers' line- and that seemed to work.

Like I say - not entirely happy with our approach, but patience isn't my thing. We haven't mastered night time yet though :)
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My first attempt at potty training my daughter was a disaster.

She got a chill at the same time, and associated the potty with misery.

I quit it immediately, and just didn't bother about it. I put her in a nappy when we were out, and often at home.

I showed her the toilet regularly and she had a stool to get on it, and she started taking her nappy off to use the toilet.

It was quite quick and easy. I just refused to be stressed about it and it worked fine.