bye, bye OnDigital

richardadcrichardadc Posts: 1,121
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am finally getting sky, after all the problems with OnDigital. Maybe one day OnDigital will improve, but at the moment i am not prepered to pay the same ammount as Sky for about 50 less channels.

I may pop in time to time to annoy you poor OnDigital subscribers.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 161
    Forum Member
    Good bye & good luck with Sky, old chap! :D

Please though, don't become as annoying as some from the Sky forum; we've got enough petty w***ers from that area as it is! ;)

[This message has been edited by Byron (edited 27 June 2000).]
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Byron:
    ..we've got enough petty w***ers from that area as it is! ;)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You've got plenty of your own too! :D

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    Do we have to slag each other off? Is it a new condition of signing up for the forum these days?

Noel Hennessy
  • TFeOnlineTFeOnline Posts: 536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I too got Sky and now have both SkyDigital & ONdigital. All I'm waiting for is my ONd subscription to run out so I can get rid of the bloody thing!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hennenoe:
    Do we have to slag each other off? Is it a new condition of signing up for the forum these days?

Noel Hennessy
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Noel I take it you weren't talking to me as my comment was merely a joke and if you did take it seriously then you should have also taken into consideration that Bryon slagged someone off to start with!

As usual a light hearted joke couldn't be taken in the way it was intended; as a joke.

Why don't we just get back to the proper posts?

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Just one point I'd like to make... why does everyone that stops subscribing to ON come on here to air their greavances? Why not let OnD themselves know the problems you are having? Obviously the first person you speak to on the phone won't really give a shit about anyone leaving the service, but their managaer might, and if not, speak to the manager's manager. Companies need customer feedback, good OR bad, so they can then take steps to improve the service. Try it, someone might just listen...
  • simonosimono Posts: 697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was this service really that bad? I've also seen things about ONrequest why did it fail?

Yes it was really bad although not quite as bad as dragging up a 14 year old thread :):):)
  • AngusMastAngusMast Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    Reasons OnDigital failed

* Reception problems due to under power transmitters
    * Less bandwidth than Sky
    * Insecure encryption
    * Paying a lot of money for 2nd rate football
  • Wbc-WorkerWbc-Worker Posts: 815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was one of the few who actually bought their ONdigital unit's right from the kick off in 1998 - it meant that after the card ran out it would still work as a basic box - I was never interested in football - I was staying in Stratford at the time and my box was being over loaded from Crystal Palace so had to fit a variable attenuator to reduce the signal !! -

it kept on working though the years until it ended up not being compatible

http://www.onhistory.co.uk/timeline/ondigital/

its a shame how they messed it up.
  • technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AngusMast wrote: »
    Reasons OnDigital failed

* Insecure encryption

And BSkyB launched free stb ..,., a day before onD lunched
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to have Ondigital(ITV Digital) but never moved back to Sky when the service closed.
    I had Sky before I moved to Ondigital(ITV Digital) and I only had Sky before that as the old BSB 5 channel TV service closed and I was moved over to Sky.

Darren
  • SonOfPurpleSonOfPurple Posts: 2,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This older thread bobbing back up gives me a chance to recount the tale of how my household took its first faltering steps into the digital age. Having not previously had any multichannel service in the analogue era - the contents of The Children's Channel, CMT Europe and BSB's Galaxy will forever remain a mystery to me - my 'rents decided the impending switch to digital would give us a chance to exchange our crumbling, caught-between-London-and-Kent analogue four-and-a-bit-channel reception for something more crisp. So myself and poppa were dispatched to Currys or Comet or wherever it was to sign up for ONdigital, given we could supposedly pick that up thru our pre-existing aerial. This was the month MTV launched onto DTT and, being a teen at the time I was very insistent our primary package included that!

So the box came home and got plugged in. After the extended tuning faff, we found we could reliably receive Channel 5, all to the good, and BBC Knowledge and... nothing else. No MTV, in fact less TV than we were getting in analogue form before we had the box in circuit!

Our indefatigable pater's next step was having a massive new aerial bolted onto the side of the house. Not only did this singularly fail to pull more stations down to our ONdigital setup, it actually put us in danger when the ruddy thing blew down in a storm days after going up.

The upshot was the ON box was bundled away and chucked back at Carlton and Granada with some zeal, and we finally threw our money at Murdoch, using the hole the short-lived aerial's installer had made in the wall to run the dish cable through. Not only did we now have telly, we had real choice, and I spent many happy days of my youth lapping up the output of Trouble, Challenge, UK Play and MTV2, amongst others.

A change of circumstances saw us drop down to the free channels in 2004, but these - bolstered by the likes of BBC Three, Chart Show TV and more recently Food Network - have served us well enough. My biggest gripe, as you'd expect, was the loss of Challenge...

A few years later, and with ONdigital itself now long dead, I was tasked with picking up and setting up Freeview equipment for a relative who'd moved house. For the craic, I decided to whack it into the telly at home to see if DTT was still almost useless to me. Surprisingly, we could now get most of Freeview - except D3&4, which remained beyond our grasp, though as most of the channels on that were FTA down our dish, that didn't bother me much. Shortly after, the launch of Dave - a channel I knew I'd enjoy, and which I'd have to pay for on Sky, saw me permanently augmenting our free-TV setup with a Freeview box, and this best-of-both-worlds combo continues to serve us our daily telly diet.

And just when I'd made peace with the telly gods, guess which channel Sky bought in 2011 and turned free-to-air? I could ramble on, but I'd rather just shut up and happily rewatch the same Crystal Maze, Family Fortunes, Defectors and Catchphrase episodes I last saw a decade ago...

(Hey, if my ONdigital had worked in the first place I wouldn't have had Challenge at all until recently, so let me call this a win, yeah?)
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The day that dreadful ON Digital system was dumped from my house was happy days for me. I had Sky and stupidly try to replace it with ON Digital, I then had nothing but reception problems despite spending a mint on aerial upgrades. Anyone remember fitting ferrite rings on the aerial lead, they did not work either.

From posts on here at the time I was not the only one, pixillating and freezing picture when a fridge or central heating switched on or a vehicle went by on the road. The Phillips STB was a crock of shite. I actually got a new STB which was replaced by ITV a couple of weeks before it folded, I hardly used it as soon after I returned to subscribing to Sky.

I bought a new TV with built-in Freeview and I could get a perfect reception on it with the same aerial that the ON/ITV Digital STB could not. It was not the system or aerial but that dreadful STB which is still up my loft somewhere an unloved piece of electronic crud that one day I might take it apart as it would never surprise me if it was made up of old cocoa tins, elastic bands and parts of an old toaster or washing machine, such was its uselessness.
  • oscar1oscar1 Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    I still use a Nokia ONdigial /ITV dIgital box
    as a modulator between a DigiHome box and a small TV without a scart socket that lives in a wardrobe in the bedroom.

Regards
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I recall panarama a few years back, it detailed how the murdoch mafia caused On Dig to die through encryption card fraud.
  • hardylanehardylane Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forget the box itself... it's what the whole fiasco did to independent TV that I can't forgive.
    Granada and Carlton sunk £1 billion onto this turkey, effectively bankrupting the two companies, forcing a merger into the corporate behemoth that is ITV Plc. Regional identity was erased, and their satellite channels wiped out. Charles Allen has a LOT to answer for.
  • Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    OnDigital will come out one top! I can't see this Sky thing catching on at all.
  • Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    AngusMast wrote: »
    Reasons OnDigital failed

* Insecure encryption

Fully secure until Sky TV paid some hackers to crack it and spread it to everyone.
  • jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    hardylane wrote: »
    Forget the box itself... it's what the whole fiasco did to independent TV that I can't forgive.
    Granada and Carlton sunk £1 billion onto this turkey, effectively bankrupting the two companies, forcing a merger into the corporate behemoth that is ITV Plc. Regional identity was erased, and their satellite channels wiped out. Charles Allen has a LOT to answer for.

It would have happened anyway.

Regional ITV was sunk the day Granada launched a hostile bid for the Tyne Tees franchise. It was completely unnecessary, ended up taking £24million/year out of regional TV in the North (without that bid, Mersey TV's bid for Granada would never have got off the ground, and both Granada and TTTV would most likely have been unchallenged), and it put in place a chain of events (the asset-stripping of the Tyne Tees franchise by YTV) which showed the way for companies wanting to go back on their agreements.

I know why they did it -- Tyne Tees was a stubborn, old-fashioned company which had stuck to its roots being owned by a small cabal of local companies, and would have been unlikely to have sold out easily, frustrating plans for a single ITV in England.

Chances are, even without that ITV would have gone in much the same way, but it would have been slowed down massively, and OnDigital would probably not have played out the way it did.