Friends Gripes

Comments

• Options
    decobelledecobelle Posts: 4,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul1511 wrote: »
    ..snip..

In fairness, Janice probably does get treated a bit unfairly. Granted she is annoying, with the OMG and the voice and laugh, but she is quite sweet at times. In the hospital, she is nice to Rachel, giving her advice about raising a child whose father is not in a relationship with the mother and after initial teasing, she is quite nice to Chandler with advice when they bump into her at the fertility clinic.

Janice two timed Chandler with her husband, and although being nice at times she was pretty loud and annoying. She's not someone I would want to spend a lot of time with!
  • Options
    robbies_galrobbies_gal Posts: 32,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just watching series 9 and rachel as per usual-mucks it up by saying yes to joeys "propsal" yet ross is annoyed with him even when he finds out he didnt even propose
  • Options
    Eques_99Eques_99 Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    just watching series 9 and rachel as per usual-mucks it up by saying yes to joeys "propsal" yet ross is annoyed with him even when he finds out he didnt even propose

Tbh I can relate to that. A man in love is not the most rational creature.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aww-dont get me wrong i love ross-i do like that ep wher joey keeps doing the quotations wrong lol
  • Options
    CappySpectrumCappySpectrum Posts: 2,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cris182 wrote: »
    Yes and you put up with close friends annoying traits, But the pot smoking guy had no connection to any of them so why should they put up with him

Lol! Tartlets! Jon Lovitz. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlAzHv4sevo
  • Options
    Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Eques_99 wrote: »
    Tbh I can relate to that. A man in love is not the most rational creature.

Plus Ross is a jealous person at the best of times
  • Options
    djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely Rachel would have realised that Tag was into her, and just asked him out instead of hiring him as her assistant? Rachel would have been allowed to date him had they not worked together
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think hementioned he had a girlfriend at the time so not so obvious
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    djfunnyman wrote: »
    Surely Rachel would have realised that Tag was into her, and just asked him out instead of hiring him as her assistant? Rachel would have been allowed to date him had they not worked together

I'm not sure it was obvious as after he met Phoebe when she came down to the office he told Rachel that he wanted to ask her out to which her response was "She's gay". Odd behaviour for someone who was into Rachel from the get go.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh yes forgot about that
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was also that time that Joey took Tag out so he could show Tag around the New York nightlife as Tag was new in town and they ended up hooking up with a lot of girls. When he told Rachel about it the next day he said that all it made him do was miss his ex-girlfriend.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was also that time that Joey took Tag out so he could show Tag around the New York nightlife as Tag was new in town and they ended up hooking up with a lot of girls. When he told Rachel about it the next day he said that all it made him do was miss his ex-girlfriend.

And in the Thanksgiving episode Tag shows up having broken up with that ex girlfriend again
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And in the Thanksgiving episode Tag shows up having broken up with that ex girlfriend again

Wanting to ask out Phoebe and missing his ex-girlfriend doesn't indicate to me that he liked Rachel from the beginning. I think he started to warm to Rachel after he started working for her. If she had asked him out after the initial interview I think he may have run a mile.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just watching tow the grant prob one my least fave eps-the whole thing about chafrlies ex then she just starts kissing him in front of ross really annoys me

greg kinnears character is just ridiculous
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just watching tow the grant prob one my least fave eps-the whole thing about chafrlies ex then she just starts kissing him in front of ross really annoys me

greg kinnears character is just ridiculous

Yes who the hell kisses their ex-boyfriend while stood next to their current boyfriend?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i had to turn it off before the end stupid storyline
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ross seems to go into fits of rage way to easily in the later episodes. Like in the Nap Partners episode his rage is triggered over something very small
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ross seems to go into fits of rage way to easily in the later episodes. Like in the Nap Partners episode his rage is triggered over something very small

I think that is the point, though - that Ross has become ridiculously unstable, although in quite a loveable way.

IMO Schwimmer pulls it off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes who the hell kisses their ex-boyfriend while stood next to their current boyfriend?

I thought that was OK. It was a bit exaggerated, but this is a sitcom!

It was supposed to signify Ross' rotten luck, and the fact that he is the victim of events. In this case, the totally unexpected twist that his girlfriend is in fact passionately in love with her crazy ex.

And that episode had some very funny lines:

"Sweetheart, this conversation's starting to make me feel a little uncomfortable!"

"As I told you at the interview Ross, the award of the grant is not dependent on your knowledge of some pretty useless trivia!"
  • Options
    MoJo-GirlMoJo-Girl Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One major gripe that I had forgotten until I saw the episode the other day:

In the one where they go to Vegas and Chandler and Monica are running around getting the "something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue" bits together, Chandler gives Monica a blue jumper and then says to just take it, i.e. steal it as something borrowed.

What really winds me up, is that Chandler is wearing a BLUE JUMPER. Why didn't he just give Monica that? It annoys me that the costume people didn't think of giving him something else to wear.

Petty, I know.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joey already had been told that Phoebe had a date when Phoebe met David again, but when Joey and Phoebe are at dinner Joey seems to have forgotten about Phoebe's plans
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joey already had been told that Phoebe had a date when Phoebe met David again, but when Joey and Phoebe are at dinner Joey seems to have forgotten about Phoebe's plans

do you mean when phoebe gave him alecture about not dumping your firneds for a date?

if so joey didnt forget he wa splaying for time asking for all the specials coz he was annoyed with her
  • Options
    Forum Member
    do you mean when phoebe gave him alecture about not dumping your firneds for a date?

if so joey didnt forget he was playing for time asking for all the specials coz he was annoyed with her

Indeed.

When he was saying at the dinner things like "You? A date tonight? Nooo Phoebe there must be some mistake, because I clearly remember you saying....."

he was being heavily sarcastic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eques_99 wrote: »
    They were all a bit annoying, yes, but well meaning enough.

The Friends all had annoying traits as well.

You've reminded me of something. I think it was mentioned either in the very first or second episode, by Chandler, that each friend had an annoying habit that he doesn't complain about (they were having a go at him for taking up smoking again): -

Ross: over pronouncing every word
    Monica: snorting when she laughs
    Joey: cracking his knuckles
    Phoebe (as mentioned by Joey): eating her hair

With the possible exception of Ross, the others never do these annoying habits ever again throughout the next 10 seasons.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    1) On the double blind date with Mike, Phoebe describes her friend as "smart and funny and loose", the friend starts to object and Phoebe says "ah come on, who are you kidding?", whereupon the friend shrugs and suggestively sucks an olive off a cocktail stick. Then about 30 seconds later Phoebe storms out, and this girl says to Joey "I'll stay if you can tell me my name". She has just been established as "loose" so why would she suddenly acquire such high standards, particularly as Joey is supposed to be irresistible to women (anyway why would Phoebe have such a yuppie friend in the first place?)

2) When the gang say goodbye to Marcel the monkey Joey, in contrast to the rest of them, is unmoved ("I don't really know what to say, Ross, he's a monkey"). This does not really chime with Joey's character, which is generally warm and emotional, and at other times he exhibits a child-like fascination with animals, most notably the chick and the duck (anyway what happened to the second chick and duck after Joey moved to LA?)

3) The whole business of firing the male Nanny because Ross thought he was too sensitive. The thing is, Ross had already voiced this objection before the Nanny was hired, and Rachel had forced Ross to hire him anyway. Nothing had changed in the meantime, in fact the Nanny was performing well, so how would Ross now be able to persuade Rachel to agree to the firing, which is in any case nastier than just not hiring someone (also, after the Nanny's heart to heart with Ross would not the firing have been reversed?)