Options

Media phrases that annoy you ?

acid rainacid rain Posts: 6,997
Forum Member
Does anyone here get sick of hearing lame 21st century expressions that don't pass for real english?

For example the one that currently annoys me to no end is; "I'm LOVING this show." What they really mean is;"I love this show." This inacuracy is mostly perpetrated by silly sunday magazine and vacuous celebrities.

What Media phrases annoy you the most?

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I SO want that = I want that so much
    bugs me no end..almost as bad as..He/she Rocks my world *puke*

When did we become America??
  • Options
    acid rainacid rain Posts: 6,997
    Forum Member
    I know. Another expression i hate is FIERCE. Since when did that mean cool?

I blame all those american psuedo reality shows.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    'Where are you at?' is particularly annoying!! Uttered in many 'Cops' episodes by dim US cops.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    It's not so much phrases but grammar that annoys me. How is a , in a headline supposed to mean "and"?
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "He/She is about to face his/her biggest challenge yet".

:D

Listen out for it, you'll be surprised how often it's used in cheap lifestyle reality documentaries or reality talent show type programmes.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Genius" is another lazy term that gets overused and which gets right on my wick.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    hero or brave in relation to sports people (especially footballers):mad:

complete bollox

put a soldier side by side with a footballer, and then see who the public think is the greater hero, or braver.
  • Options
    capricecaprice Posts: 16,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "I'm feeling you" meaning I get you, understand you, know where you are coming from... There were already many phrases to convey this emotion, did we really need another lol?!

"Victim" when used to describe someone who broke a nail or missed the bus... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    skinrayskinray Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    acid rain wrote: »

What Media phrases annoy you the most?

At the end of the day.

There never was a more pointless and overused phrase. A great favourite with the toothless, tattooed chavs on The Jeremy Kyle Show. I have heard it used at the end of every sentence. :mad:
  • Options
    Toby LatimerToby Latimer Posts: 4,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ''In a place'' i.e. if the person is in a happy mood - '' I'm in a good place right now'' . Also for instance the expression ''I'm good'' i.e. ''Would you like a coffee ?'' instead of ''no thanks'' they say ''I'm good'
  • Options
    fitnessqueenfitnessqueen Posts: 5,185
    Forum Member
    I hate the phrase they use on fashion pages "bang on-trend" and also instead of saying "be like so and so" or "dress like so and so" they say "make like....". :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    acid rain wrote: »
    I know. Another expression i hate is FIERCE. Since when did that mean cool?

I blame all those american psuedo reality shows.

Yeah that horrendous- it's in a similiar vein to Pish's failed attempted to bring 'major' into our vocab. urghh.

I also really hate 'awesome'- when did we go back to the 80s again?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    weather presenters going OO with the word "autumbal"
  • Options
    Millie MuppetMillie Muppet Posts: 6,853
    Forum Member
    'Astute businesswoman' - usually when talking about Jordan.

'Self-deprecating sense of humour.' - Victoria Beckham.

'Celebrity Mother of the Year' - a contradiction in terms.
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everyone on the news talking about "toxic debt".

I am sick of "the credit crunch", too. It's been renamed "the harvest crunch" in the Chuff house.
  • Options
    intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    Merging of names as soon as a couple have been going out for 5 minutes. I didn't mind Brangelina but then people started applying it to everyone
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,715
    Forum Member
    Any producer using "Is Vernon Kay available?" would annoy me! :D

'Credit Crunch' is a pretty lame tame, I agree. If it was called "up shit creek" or "Brown's Folly" or what about RECESSION at least that would get over some of its significance. We seem to have adopted the words 'credit crunch' so we can put our fingers in our ears and go 'la la la' whenever the word recession comes up.
  • Options
    Soulmate9Soulmate9 Posts: 7,407
    Forum Member
    Merging of names as soon as a couple have been going out for 5 minutes. I didn't mind Brangelina but then people started applying it to everyone

That annoys me no end! I absolutely loathe the Brangelina and TomKat ones...... they make me cringe.
  • Options
    bobblabobbla Posts: 11,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The use of the word JOURNEY about anyone who has done absolutely nothing.

Arrrghhh :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Calling BB contestants "stars." That's very, very annoying. They're not stars and never will be.
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weather forecasters on regional TV magazines (I have never heard a national forecaster do this) who use the word 'rubbish' as an adjective - i.e. 'what rubbish weather we had today'. I am not sure if this is even acceptable use of English but whether it is or isn't, it sounds awful.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All of media outside of Broadsheets in just one long cliche ridden BS.
    Orange Peel
    Brave
    Inspirational
    Poor tragic
    Stick thin
    My Rock
    In touch with myself
    I was devastated
    My Drugs Hell
    My nights of passion with.......
    Oh and the self promoting stuff..I would love to be in..movie, TV series, win an Oscar ( not that they are actors ) etc.......
    Good Role Model (??????)
    Queen or Princess of.........

All those joined up names of couples that they never asked to have applied to themselves ! Tomkat and the like..puke.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all the overly-American ones that annoy me, both in and out of the media! Such as:

Go figure
    Hit 'send'
    You do the math
    Can I get a...

Specifically in the media, I detest hearing about people's 'journeys' and about the various celeb 'young mums', most of whom aren't particularly young.

Oh, and another one that annoys me is the current obsession with 'You know what?'. The worst offender I've heard is Sophie Anderton, but all the 'celebs' are at it, the phrase features in almost every interview these days. And it's usually justifying something ridiculous too...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    "My bad." What does that mean anyway?
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watch Bloomberg quite a lot and therefore inevitably see a lot of their American output. I'm not sure if this is a habit peculiar to them or whether it is a common phrase in the United States, but often when a correspondent does a piece to camera, instead of just ending and letting the anchor pick up, they say to the anchor 'I'll send it back to you'!