Options

Sky HD update and problems with Sony Tv

mintsmints Posts: 84
Forum Member
My Sky hd box has been updated overnight now when I try to select the options on the tv a Sony kdl-55w905 to adjust brightness etc. the set will not display the menu, if I remove the hdmi feed lead from the tv the options work.
On all other inputs and Freeview the set operates normally it is something to do with the Sky box it prevents the options working even in stand by, it operated ok last night, Help please.

Comments

• Options
    scepticsceptic Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    Try going into settings -> picture on your Sky box and set HDMI Control to OFF...
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,528
    Forum Member
    mints wrote: »
    My Sky hd box has been updated overnight now when I try to select the options on the tv a Sony kdl-55w905 to adjust brightness etc. the set will not display the menu, if I remove the hdmi feed lead from the tv the options work.
    On all other inputs and Freeview the set operates normally it is something to do with the Sky box it prevents the options working even in stand by, it operated ok last night, Help please.

It's one of the stupid features of HDMI-CEC - the TV remote thinks it's trying to control the source rather than the TV (so if was a BD Player pressing 'menu' would bring up the DB menu instead).

As a service engineer I find it REALLY annoying - oh yes, picture is a little bright, let's turn it down - NO WE CAN'T!!!!! :mad:

As already suggested, turn HDMI control OFF on the Sky box.
  • Options
    mintsmints Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    I have cleared the problem by reloading the update to the Sky box now the tv operates ok again, but thanks for your replies I will take note for future reference.
  • Options
    mseven1mseven1 Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have had problems with my boxes since the update today. With my Sky+ HD box the search and scan banner doesn't go away despite it being set to 5 seconds. On my standard box it kept freezing but I forced an update which seems to have fixed it.
  • Options
    johnmdcjohnmdc Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    mints wrote: »
    I have cleared the problem by reloading the update to the Sky box now the tv operates ok again, but thanks for your replies I will take note for future reference.

By reloading the software you have reverted to the older version that didn't have HDMI control. When the box gets updated to the new version again (as it will do soon) the problem will reoccur, I would suggest you take Nigel's advice and switch HDMI control off.
  • Options
    drabbledrabble Posts: 757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On my Sony KDL-32EX503.

Settings > External Inputs > HDMI Set-up > Device Control Keys

The default setting is Tuning Keys, change it to Normal and save, the TV remote returns to normal function with Control for HDMI turned on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    drabble wrote: »
    On my Sony KDL-32EX503.

Settings > External Inputs > HDMI Set-up > Device Control Keys

The default setting is Tuning Keys, change it to Normal and save, the TV remote returns to normal function with Control for HDMI turned on.

Thanks very much for that - I'll have to look out for it on other models :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    johnmdc wrote: »
    By reloading the software you have reverted to the older version that didn't have HDMI control. When the box gets updated to the new version again (as it will do soon) the problem will reoccur, I would suggest you take Nigel's advice and switch HDMI control off.

Exactly, he's simply postponed the problem - however, 'drabbles' suggestion would be even better (assuming it's available on the OP's TV of course).
  • Options
    willij5willij5 Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    I've got the exact same TV and I had to disable the HDMI control on the Sky box settings after the update.

I didn't want to disable it in the TV settings due to my TV being connected to amp for ARC purposes etc. I like being able to control the volume on either my TV or amp from a single remote.
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    willij5 wrote: »
    I've got the exact same TV and I had to disable the HDMI control on the Sky box settings after the update.

I didn't want to disable it in the TV settings due to my TV being connected to amp for ARC purposes etc. I like being able to control the volume on either my TV or amp from a single remote.

If the Sky HDMI output is going into the amp rather than direct to the TV you can disconnect the CEC wire from Sky without affecting it between the amp and the TV allowing to to still control the amp. I had to do this for my Humax PVRs - I used an adaptor rather than physically cut wires.
  • Options
    DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, blocking pin 19 of an HDMI cable is a fairly common work-around for HTPC HDMI issues too. OSs basically try to be too clever with detecting whether displays have been unplugged, whereas it's often easier to have the OS assume that the display is always there.
  • Options
    drabbledrabble Posts: 757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks very much for that - I'll have to look out for it on other models :D

No problem, it could be under the Bravia Sync settings on later models.

Maybe for the R010 thread but I think Sky should never have pushed out the update with CEC on by default in the first place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    drabble wrote: »
    Maybe for the R010 thread but I think Sky should never have pushed out the update with CEC on by default in the first place.

Humax did the same - when they added CEC to the Freetime PVR's a few months back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Humax did the same - when they added CEC to the Freetime PVR's a few months back.

Yes that caused a problem to me and I ended up having to "cut" the CEC pin using an adaptor, I had to do this twice as my Humax Freeview PVR had the same problem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bobcar wrote: »
    Yes that caused a problem to me and I ended up having to "cut" the CEC pin using an adaptor, I had to do this twice as my Humax Freeview PVR had the same problem.

Can you not disable it on the Humax, as you can on the Sky boxes?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can you not disable it on the Humax, as you can on the Sky boxes?

No there was no configuration for this, the only way I could stop it was by removing the CEC link itself. I could disable it on both the TV and amp but I wanted it between the TV and amp just not to the PVRs. The freesat box in particular is very bad for not having enough configuration items, for example you have to go through hoops of disconnecting the router (but still having Ethernet connected) before you can set a fixed IP address rather than DHCP.
  • Options
    davefevsdavefevs Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    Just stumbled across this thread. I have a Sony Bravia in the kitchen linked to sky box (in lounge) via a long hdmi and. Cablesson splitter.

I've noticed my tv keeps switching itself on, and onto Hdmi1....yet the hdmi cable is actually into hdmi2 on the Sony?

1) is it related to new update?

2) can I fix it?

Cheers
  • Options
    Forum Member
    davefevs wrote: »
    Just stumbled across this thread. I have a Sony Bravia in the kitchen linked to sky box (in lounge) via a long hdmi and. Cablesson splitter.

I've noticed my tv keeps switching itself on, and onto Hdmi1....yet the hdmi cable is actually into hdmi2 on the Sony?

1) is it related to new update?

2) can I fix it?

Turn HDMI control OFF, on either the TV or the Sky box.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the advice on here, my brand new LG 42LB630V volume control started acting up (freezing and jumping about) after the Sky update and I very nearly sent it back out of frustration. Simply switching 'HDMI control' to off got everything back to normal and the Sky menu's are back to being snappy (I'd not really noticed the lag beforehand).

Edit :- The LG doesn't seem to have the option to turn off control within it's own menus as Drabble suggested for the Sony's.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ColinL wrote: »
    Edit :- The LG doesn't seem to have the option to turn off control within it's own menus as Drabble suggested for the Sony's.

Some sets do,some sets don't :cry: