Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RFS wrote: »
    I think they called it a mutton-bird and it seemed to be hideously pongy

Im not going to even ask what kind of bird that comes from!:eek:
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh god - I've looked it up. It's a sea bird! I'm not surprised it stinks!
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It sounds less than pleasant to eat:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short-tailed_Shearwater
  • brendans babebrendans babe Posts: 34,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »

I hope those chicks are dead before they put them in boiling water !:eek:
  • RFSRFS Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member

Given that I hate lamb, that would be my worst nightmare!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Julies plate looks red!
  • soteksotek Posts: 3,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blowup wrote: »
    I don't mind people being straight faced or serious. But she is a cake-making humourless robot.

Completely agree. She has a touch of the unpleasant Filippo style arrogance as well. Maybe she just isn't coming across well but I've met people like her in real life so I suspect she's probably like it all the time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quail must be different to chicken because if you cooked chicken to just that colour you might kill someone!
    Forum Member
    Quail must be different to chicken because if you cooked chicken to just that colour you might kill someone!

I know - that and pigeon always look unbelievably raw - like they could fly off the plate.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont suppose there is any chance Debra will go!
    Forum Member
    I dont suppose there is any chance Debra will go!

We can live in hope ...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We can live in hope ...

Thats a 'no' then!:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah i kind of liked TK:cry:
    Forum Member
    Thats a 'no' then!:rolleyes:

Sigh... Next time...
  • mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    we needed matt to break a tooth on that olive pip to get rid of her ;-)

yet again one of the younger contestants gets knocked out due to a poor breadth of knowledge and not knowing turkey goes alot drier than chicken , even i know that i can barely boil an egg

also it always winds me up a little when they dont know if they have cooked meat properly or not , they then get complimented for it being perfect when it seemed to be more luck than anything else
  • MoontakerMoontaker Posts: 3,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really sad to see TK go, she was obviously popular, I thought she was ray of sunshine.

I think they're a pretty decent lot on the whole this year and there's not too much focus on their personal history,.so no 'feel sorry for me, I've had it tough' moments yet.

I'm very excited about Tasmania, It's top of my fantasy list of places to go, I can't wait to see more of it.

Loving the judges as always, them together with the format make the programme imo.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The clue is in the colour of the meat. It's a game bird, like pigeon. Definitely best served medium. You could never do that to chicken
  • Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
    Forum Member
    mimik1uk wrote: »

yet again one of the younger contestants gets knocked out due to a poor breadth of knowledge and not knowing turkey goes alot drier than chicken , even i know that i can barely boil an egg

also it always winds me up a little when they dont know if they have cooked meat properly or not , they then get complimented for it being perfect when it seemed to be more luck than anything else

I'm with you on the fact they don't know if their meat is cooked & it ends up being more a case of luck than judgement. They should learn to prod their meat & how it gives as a way of judging at least!:rolleyes:
    I'm veggie and like you mimik, it doesn't take an experienced chef to know turkey is a dry meat.:confused::rolleyes:
    I did like TK tho' - that Debra!:mad: btw ( I'm not getting at you mimik or other posters) but why do the judges keep referring fruit/olives etc as having 'pips'?:confused: apples, pears etc have pips, cherries, olives, apricots, nectarines/peaches etc have 'stones'.

On another note, while I'm here - why am I starting to detest Julia, yes she's an amazing pastry cook but I think she believes she might as well be given the title ASAP?! She's winding me up now, I've gone off her and her self righteous attitude.:eek:
  • blowupblowup Posts: 1,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moontaker wrote: »
    Really sad to see TK go, she was obviously popular, I thought she was ray of sunshine.

I think they're a pretty decent lot on the whole this year and there's not too much focus on their personal history,.so no 'feel sorry for me, I've had it tough' moments yet.

I'm very excited about Tasmania, It's top of my fantasy list of places to go, I can't wait to see more of it.

Loving the judges as always, them together with the format make the programme imo.

Yeah she seemed very sweet but lacked an edge, probably because of her age (or at least that how it seemed from the editing).

Haha about the pip :D

Yeah it is a bit silly about the cooking the meat perfectly when they are stood there shaking and sobbing, wondering if they have cooked it or not. But it's probably just nerves, and their skill and instinct has meant they have cooked it right and they were just doubting themselves. So they probably do still deserve some credit - apart from debra, who was either relying on dumb luck or was only pretending not to know about cooking meat.
    sotek wrote: »
    Completely agree. She has a touch of the unpleasant Filippo style arrogance as well. Maybe she just isn't coming across well but I've met people like her in real life so I suspect she's probably like it all the time.

I feel the same. You shouldn't really judge people from a show, but we've seen quite a bit of her now and I get the same vibe. She seems like someone who wouldn't help you out if you worked with her.
    Gawd shorthand was my nemesis at the end !!! I actually named it Satan's Scripture!
    I am now NCTJ certified - but then again I am already working as an IT journo so it was more personal pride to get the whole enchilada (see what I did there ?!)

I just choked on my Greek yoghurt and honey at "cake-making humourless robot" arf!!!
    Then I read the bit on Debs - now positive sobbing with laughter !
    And I have made a point of watching her face when Mindy won the chance if immunity and then got the immunity pin. Let's just say if looks could kill, one of the challenges for the teams would have been cooking for Mindy's wake.
    That woman scares me !!!

I have an NCE too. They're pretty tough to get, so well done us. :p
    Forum Member
    blowup wrote: »
    I have an NCE too. They're pretty tough to get, so well done us. :p

Soooo working in print? I know a couple of the journos at the local paper where I did my placement were doing theirs, and we often had NCE people wandering around for sessions at the journo school I went to.

Meanwhile back on topic... given my advancing years, I find myself strangely not kindly disposed to the older members of the teams (Andrew, Debs) who seem to have an air of "elder knows best"... I don't really get that same vibe from Audra and Dalvinder who seem a lot more mellow.

Although everytime I think of Ben yelling at everyone in his teacher's voice, and then promptly being so discombobulated that Matt had to step in and chivvy him along, I have to giggle!
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wait, what? Fish pie with PASTRY? Is that an actual thing?

My granny used to make a fish pie with pastry she used to cut it in the shape of a fish and make pastry scales to decorate it, it was lush!

I think I'm miles behind..I'm watching the cactus one!
    Forum Member
    Ohhh I have last night's eppie on in my home office - Debs has been a veggie for quite some time... so THAT explains her total discombobulation at the YumCha challenge in terms of eating the style of food and some of her reactions in other challenges.

But I still think she's awfully reluctant to kinda throw herself into the spirit of a ... well y'know... COOKERY competition with a look of "oh nooooo I don't know anything about this"....
  • mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    But I still think she's awfully reluctant to kinda throw herself into the spirit of a ... well y'know... COOKERY competition with a look of "oh nooooo I don't know anything about this"....

yeah always makes me wonder if they have ever watched any of the previous series as you would think they would prepare better knowing what they are going to face during the competition
    Forum Member
    yeah always makes me wonder if they have ever watched any of the previous series as you would think they would prepare better knowing what they are going to face during the competition

I kinda imagine the conversation in my head:
    Ohhh I love cooking veggie food, and I adore being in my comfort zone, and I hate anything that I haven't eaten, or taking orders, or maybe having to give orders.
    Ohh Masterchef... a chance to show off my skills at avoiding new cuisine, or make believing I am in a kitchen leading a team of cooks... I'll sign up RIGHT away, because they'll never make me do that will they - I just get to live in a house, and have masterclasses all day, right? RIGHT? NO???? AGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!