Options

ALDI - Good and bad

Comments

• Options
    ee-ayee-ay Posts: 3,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So Aldi get their chicken from the same place as M&S get theirs.

The 2 Sisters Food Group and Faccenda accused of putting public at risk

A hygiene alert has been raised around factories and farms supplying chicken to Tesco, Asda, Sainsbury’s, Aldi, Marks & Spencer and Nando’s.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2703442/Chickens-picked-floor-washed-filthy-water-sold-supermarket-Investigation-launched-claims-contaminated-poultry-sold-high-street.html#ixzz38LCVeznw
  • Options
    rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    I was in Aldi at the weekend and I saw they were selling chicken thigh fillets, I just had some with my lunch and that in good chicken. I hope this is a permanent addition.
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    I tried one of their freerange whole chickens and it was lovely. Definitely worth £5, though it's a shame they're all only 1.5kg. Sometimes you'd like a larger one.

I also tried their broich buns (four for £1), and although they were nice, I think I'll be sticking to their extra large rolls for 52p.

Frozen venison burgers have been reduced from £3 to £1.49 for some reason. Perhaps they just didn't sell well, but I've noticed a few items around the place suddenly sporting a "£50% off" sticker. I don't mean stale things, normal products whose prices have been slashed for some reason.

As for the chicken hygene post above, I doubt Aldi get all their chicken products from one supplier, so it's hard to know which products are the ones you also get in M&S and Nandos. Either way, think of that the next time some government advert on the radio tells you never to wash your chicken!
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tried one of their freerange whole chickens and it was lovely. Definitely worth £5, though it's a shame they're all only 1.5kg. Sometimes you'd like a larger one.

I also tried their broich buns (four for £1), and although they were nice, I think I'll be sticking to their extra large rolls for 52p.

Frozen venison burgers have been reduced from £3 to £1.49 for some reason. Perhaps they just didn't sell well, but I've noticed a few items around the place suddenly sporting a "£50% off" sticker. I don't mean stale things, normal products whose prices have been slashed for some reason.

As for the chicken hygene post above, I doubt Aldi get all their chicken products from one supplier, so it's hard to know which products are the ones you also get in M&S and Nandos. Either way, think of that the next time some government advert on the radio tells you never to wash your chicken!

Is it possible that they were marketed or packaged as a summer/barbecue item? I bought some pork/chorizo sausages from Asda that were marked down because of that.
  • Options
    Lucy LouLucy Lou Posts: 8,574
    Forum Member
    Not sure if anyone has mentioned Aldis Racer-bars in this thread? they are divine and just as good as snickers :)
  • Options
    #grotbags##grotbags# Posts: 1,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tried Aldi for the first time tonight instead of the usual Monday misery of Tesco. I never had a pound for the trolley, and the checkout girl didn't mention where the bags where, or that they were chargeable until she started serving her next customer, so I had to go round and wait in the queue again. Such an Aldi virgin :blush:

I hate not knowing where things are, but it was less chaotic than Tesco. I guess the real test will be when I feed my son any of the stuff! But it passed the purse test for now.
  • Options
    bluefbbluefb Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had some good pizzas from there recently, after getting previously burned and put-off when I bought one of those revolting fake cheese fake tomato efforts years ago. Pepperoni £1.50 and veg £1. Both good quality and value.

They also had Glenryck tinned mackerel a few weeks ago, which is has a nicer flavour and texture that the own brand stuff and was the same price, but now they've reverted to the own brand.
  • Options
    tortfeasortortfeasor Posts: 7,000
    Forum Member
    GOOD: 1) The fruit and veg is outstanding in my opinion. I wish I'd started shopping in ALDI years ago, particularly because the cost of fruit is so much cheaper. I eat a lot of fruit and during the summer I particularly eat lots of strawberries, raspberries and peaches. I saved quite a bit this year - I was regularly buying the large punnets of strawberries for £1.99 at ALDI and these were priced at over £3 in the other supermarkets.

2) VIVE Diet Lemonade. This beats other supermarket own brand lemonades. Supermarket own brands can be really bland but this stuff is delicious and tastes of lemons! I'm convinced it also stays fizzy for longer. Plus, it's 39p for a 2 litre bottle. I haven't bought a bottle of Schweppes for weeks.

3) My local ALDI stocks Courage Best bitter and sells it for 99p a bottle. This is one of my favourite bitters, so I always pick up a few bottles. They also stock Hobgoblin for £1.25 a bottle, which is very reasonable.

4) The mature cheddar cheese, which was recently featured on one of their TV ads. The packaging is similar to Cathedral City. I think it tastes as good as Cathedral City.

5) Diet Coke. My local ALDI always stocks it and quite often their prices for either cans or bottles will be better than the other supermarkets.

6) The prices tend to stay the same for weeks.
  • Options
    Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,031
    Forum Member
    Lucy Lou wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone has mentioned Aldis Racer-bars in this thread? they are divine and just as good as snickers :)

They are lovely. The Titans (Mars bars) are nice too, but they haven't quite got the Jive bars right (Twix) in my opinion. I eat far too much chocolate....
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not something I buy often but their 39p Cheese pasty is cheesy nice.
    I once tried an Asda 39p one and eating became quite a gruel.
  • Options
    chopsimchopsim Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Not something I buy often but their 39p Cheese pasty is cheesy nice.
    I once tried an Asda 39p one and eating became quite a gruel.

They are lovely for a quick cheap snack.
  • Options
    kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tried a pizza from aldi last night; Carlo's deep pan meat feast and it was delicious!!:D
  • Options
    kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ella Nut wrote: »
    They are lovely. The Titans (Mars bars) are nice too, but they haven't quite got the Jive bars right (Twix) in my opinion. I eat far too much chocolate....

i love the titan, jive and racer bars!!:D i also probably eat too much chocolate!!:o:D
  • Options
    clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,645
    Forum Member

Very nice, as are the Dreamy (Milky Way) and Romeo (Bounty).
    kate36 wrote: »
    i love the titan, jive and racer bars!!:D i also probably eat too much chocolate!!:o:D

I'm not keen on the Titan bars, not a surprise really as I don't like Mars bars either. Jive bars are nice.

I do pretty much all my shopping at Aldi and the only thing I've found I really don't like is their Ginger But biscuits, they have recently changed and the new ones are horrible!
  • Options
    Buster1874Buster1874 Posts: 1,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree about the Jive bars, they are better than a Twix in my opinion.

But I have noticed that whenever I go to Aldi, there are a lot of gaps on the shelf. They haven't had chocolate digestives in for ages. Either they don't get enough stock in or don't fill the shelves fast enough.
  • Options
    postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can thoroughly recommend the Ashfield British pork ribs. Plentiful and very tasty for £2.99
  • Options
    rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    I had the Ashfield Southern Fried Chicken at the weekend, it was delicious.
  • Options
    WaldoUKWaldoUK Posts: 12,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Disappointed that Aldi's only tinned pulses is kidney beans. I use tinned pulses a lot from now to Easter for stews, soups, tangines etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dreemy bars taste exactly the same as Milky Ways and they are 49p for 6.
  • Options
    Lucy LouLucy Lou Posts: 8,574
    Forum Member
    WaldoUK wrote: »
    Disappointed that Aldi's only tinned pulses is kidney beans. I use tinned pulses a lot from now to Easter for stews, soups, tangines etc.

I noticed today that they also sell chick-peas :)

Has anyone ever bought plants from Aldi?.....I know this is a food section but I have bought both garden and house plants from there and they have never flourished.
  • Options
    shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Basil tomato and creme fraiche soup in a tin . Excellent taste and value at less than 50p (45 I think)

Also onion and chive sticks. Combine with soup and a brilliant lunch and hopefully healthy too lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I noticed today that they also sell chick-peas :)

Has anyone ever bought plants from Aldi?.....I know this is a food section but I have bought both garden and house plants from there and they have never flourished.

I saw chick peas, but wanting them to do butter beans, black eye beans etc.
  • Options
    boozer3boozer3 Posts: 2,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the steak from Aldi is very nice and much better value and taste than that of other supermarkets. Their brioche burger buns are the best rolls I've had, especially when toasted but their fresh produce is just the same as anywhere else to me. Their cornflakes are alright, but nowhere near Kellogg's, porridge is porridge, their other cereals, those aimed at children and crisps are nasty.

I don't find Aldi that value for money, though. Could be something to do with the fact I go in for a few groceries and come out with a chainsaw and 60 quid's worth of cycling and running gear.
  • Options
    clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,645
    Forum Member
    boozer3 wrote: »

I don't find Aldi that value for money, though. Could be something to do with the fact I go in for a few groceries and come out with a chainsaw and 60 quid's worth of cycling and running gear.

I know what you mean, just this week I popped in for bread and milk and somehow arrived home with a chrome shoe rack and handheld steam cleaner
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yummy Aldi's fish cakes with minted pea filling