warlordwarlord Posts: 3,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a brilliant speech
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure that there will be a point to this thread, which will be revealed shortly. Until then, we'll be on the edge of our seats.
  • Options
    sangrealsangreal Posts: 20,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The British Empire isn't coming back any time soon.
    It's gone, a distant memory of a time long gone by.
    Britannia no longer rules the waves.
    We don't even own ourself anymore, let alone half the world and the gates of our enemies.

We leave the EU and we'll be the laughing stock, the dead man, the lone wolf, the black sheep, the butt of the continent of Europe.
    Germany, France, Spain, Benelux, Italy, Ireland, etc etc are also stars on the EU flag.
    Do they want their independence back? Do they want to be restored to some former glory?

What are the actual benefits of leaving the EU? Surely they pale into insignificance compared to the benefits of staying in?
    What are the benefits of being independent? World trade? The Commonwealth? Border controls? Saving on fees?
    What is UKIP's actual problem with the EU?
    Why are they so Europhobic/Xenophobic?
    We are all equal. So what makes the (English) UK think it's so different & special?
    Who do these people think they are?

Most of the problems in this country are caused by the government(s), establishment/authorities, land/wealth-owners, Tories, bigots, monopolies/corporations & general people of THIS country, not by Europe, EU legislation or immigrants. Sure, the World Bank/Government, IMF, Bilderbergs/Rothschilds/Illuminati/NWO, Satan, or whatever might well be responsible for the rest of the woes....

Plenty of Europeans aren't happy with the current state of affairs,
    so it's time for positive negotiations, and to move forwards, not backwards.

UKIP is NOT a protest vote against the establishment.
    If they do get into a coalition in 2015, they'll end up being just another LibDems in 5 years time.

A. Europhile :--)
  • Options
    radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sangreal wrote: »
    The British Empire isn't coming back any time soon.
    It's gone, a distant memory of a time long gone by.
    Britannia no longer rules the waves.
    We don't even own ourself anymore, let alone half the world and the gates of our enemies.

We leave the EU and we'll be the laughing stock, the dead man, the lone wolf, the black sheep, the butt of the continent of Europe.
    Germany, France, Spain, Benelux, Italy, Ireland, etc etc are also stars on the EU flag.
    Do they want their independence back? Do they want to be restored to some former glory?

What are the actual benefits of leaving the EU? Surely they pale into significance compared to the benefits of staying in?
    What are the benefits of being independent? World trade? The Commonwealth? Border controls? Saving on fees?
    What is UKIP's actual problem with the EU?
    Why are they so Europhobic/Xenophobic?
    We are all equal. So what makes the UK think it's so different & special?
    Who do these people think they are?

Most of the problems in this country are caused by the government(s), establishment/authorities, land/wealth-owners, Tories, bigots, monopolies/corporations & general people of THIS country, not by Europe, EU legislation or immigrants. Sure, the World Bank, IMO, Bilderbergs/Rothschilds/Illuminati/NWO, Satan, or whatever might well be responsible for the rest of the woes....

Plenty of Europeans aren't happy with the current state of affairs,
    so it's time for positive negotiations, and to move forwards, not backwards.

UKIP is NOT a protest vote against the establishment.
    If they do get into a coalition in 2015, they'll end up being just another LibDems in 5 years time.

A. Europhile :--)

Fortunately and thankfully, INCORRECT.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fortunately and thankfully, INCORRECT.

No, it really isn't.
    UKIP is incorrect.
    HUGELY incorrect and VERY foolish!
    Mark my words :--)

Reckless by name & nature.

Europe is wonderful, and so are many of its peoples.
  • Options
    KIIS102KIIS102 Posts: 8,539
    Forum Member
    No, it really isn't.
    UKIP is incorrect.

The continent of Europe isn't the problem which the Europhiles are trying to mix in with the EU "if you hate the EU, you hate Europe" crap. Exactly the same as trying to control your border is 'Racist'.

Well whether people like it or not, UKIP is on the rise. People said they had no chance at the Euro elections until it seemed like they'd do well, nevermind win the damn thing. People said they'd not get close to winning any seats, they've close close second all over the country. And finally, people said they wouldn't get a seat in Westminster........please hold.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    To the fourth poster.

The world is our future - the bankrupt EU is the past.

China, Brazil, India, Malaysia and Singapore are our future - not Greece, Slovakia and Croatia.

That's the thing you dont get!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KIIS102 wrote: »
    The continent of Europe isn't the problem which the Europhiles are trying to mix in with the EU "if you hate the EU, you hate Europe" crap. Exactly the same as trying to control your border is 'Racist'.

Well whether people like it or not, UKIP is on the rise. People said they had no chance at the Euro elections until it seemed like they'd do well, nevermind win the damn thing. People said they'd not get close to winning any seats, they've close close second all over the country. And finally, people said they wouldn't get a seat in Westminster........please hold.
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    To the fourth poster.

China, Brazil, India, Malaysia and Singapore are our future - not Greece, Slovakia and Croatia.

Yes, I get all that.

If UKIP and 'similar' European parties could broker a deal and renegotiate the terms, then fine. But they can't/won't.

I personally believe that leaving the EU is not a solution to the current problems and will only make matters even worse.

But like you said. We shall see....

Personally, I would love it if UKIP could knock one of Tory or Labour into 3rd spot,
    because those 2 parties are certainly part of the problem....
    Preferably Tories, who I loathe with a passion... but let's face it, one of those 2 parties are still going to win in 2015, right?

The chances of my party (i.e. Greens - the true protest vote) actually ever winning, or even getting into a coalition, still remain highly grim though :--(

I blame the BBC for giving UKIP a voice instead of the Greens ;)

@MARTYM8
    We already trade with all those countries....just not enough...
    http://www.economicshelp.org/blog/7011/economics/uk-exports-to-non-eu-countries/
    http://www.economywatch.com/world_economy/united-kingdom/export-import.html
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At least he didn't sing 'We're more than a number in a little red book'.
    With his squeaky voice, that would have been the end of his career a few months earlier than expected.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To the fourth poster.

EXACTLY. Britain - coal, gas, oil, steel, fish, excellent farm produce, the commonwealth and Europe on our doorstep to trade with. Britain does not need the EU and its hooters' in the trough brigade.
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, it really isn't.
    UKIP is incorrect.

You have a point, UKIP has just become an acceptable way to be a racist and say its because you dont like Europe poking their nose into UK business!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EXACTLY. Britain - coal, gas, oil, steel, fish, excellent farm produce, the commonwealth and Europe on our doorstep to trade with. Britain does not need the EU and its hooters' in the trough brigade.

Other countries all have those products/commodities, and far more in abundance than us.

Coal? Thatcher shut down the mines.
    Gas & oil? We've not even got enough for ourselves.
    British Steel? Oh yeah, I remember that....
    Fish & farm produce... what makes ours any better than anyone else's?

Cars (eco-friendly), technology, appliances, furniture, clothing, software....

We are a million miles behind Germany, Japan, SE Asia, USA, etc etc.
    We were once so far ahead, but not any more.
    This is where (part of) the root of the problem lies... at home!

We've been usurped, exploited & sold down the river ;)
  • Options
    nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a brilliant phrase.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    China, Brazil, India, Malaysia and Singapore are our future -
    Oh great - all of which outclass us in production terms, all but one of which run highly restrictive practices on trade and don't need most of our goods, and none of which add up to the lost revenue from being in the largest market in the world.

That's a very sensible economic choice.
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rather than no star on a USA one?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »

Hahaha :D Good one :--)
  • Options
    pope_tartpope_tart Posts: 3,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »

:D:D when i saw the title I thought it was something to do with Britain selling out to the USA too.

Why the fuss about Europe when America bought us out years ago
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No mentioning of mass manufacturing I notice.

And if Europe plays hardball about allowing a non-EU UK to be used as an offshore financial services base, (as I would in their circumstances); were f***ed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »
    No mentioning of mass manufacturing I notice.

Yes, a pity. Still car assembly doing well. However not enough.
  • Options
    boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To the fourth poster.

It's you that doesn't get it, they'll either be self sufficent or be dependent on China, a UK outside of the EU will look very isolated ans irrelevant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Japan etc bases itself in the UK because we are part of the EU. If we leave the EU, they relocate manufacturing to the low labour cost, low transport cost centre of their European market, eastern Europe
  • Options
    MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »
    Japan etc bases itself in the UK because we are part of the EU. If we leave the EU, they relocate manufacturing to the low labour cost, low transport cost centre of their European market, eastern Europe

Rubbish - Ford moved production of the Transit for the European market from a country within the EU (UK) to one outside (Turkey) - there are more cost implications than simply being within the EU for manufacturing companies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Majlis wrote: »
    Rubbish - Ford moved production of the Transit for the European market from a country within the EU (UK) to one outside (Turkey) - there are more cost implications than simply being within the EU for manufacturing companies.

Yes they were moving to a low wage economy. The UK could only compete outside europe if it pays Turkish level wages, ie about half that of the UK. But then again that may be your economic wet dream.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Majlis wrote: »

It's not really rubbish...

I work for a Belgian-owned company (ex USA-owned) who have offices in Belgium, France, USA and soon to be Spain & Germany.

They're holding off on a UK/London base until after the result of the next election and potential EU referendum.

They say if UK leaves the EU then they'll need to renegotiate passport, employment, work, wages statutes/status/everything. They also say that many companies have stated that they will pull out of the UK, and potentially millions of people will lose their jobs in UK & Europe & beyond.

If UKIP really thinks that Europe (and some countries beyond) will still embrace the UK with open arms if we pull out of the EU, they've got another thing coming.

I don't think they really believe that at all. I think they're a set of con artists, who will lead the UK to doom and destruction...not that we aren't already on that path anyway....

We are the gateway to Europe for many countries, and that gate will become closed... at least for a few years until everything is renegotiated, and then however long it takes to get re-established afterwards.

Alas, partly thanks to Thatcher, Major, Blair, Brown & Cameron, we don't have much in the line of bargaining chips any more.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Car assembly says it all
    Parts imported from Germany and assembled here because in a downturn it's much easier to hire and fire workers than the Continent.