Keep the faith with Kirkwood

GothamGotham Posts: 1,273
Forum Member
✭✭✭
In my humble people, this is the guy that has produced the best two soap storyines in the past 4 years: McDean and Hannah's anorexia. These are two storylines that go beyond the sensational that would never happen in real life (cough cough Archie Mitchell) and are actual storylines that people can relate to. That's what made them so great. Give the guy time and he will have Eastenders thriving again.

Comments

• charliestubbscharliestubbs Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate the "Give the guy time" line.

Sorry, but the man has had ages to put good storylines into the show.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    Well he's finally got his feet under the table now and it seems we are going to get a good run from christmas.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    It does seem that many people on here took an immediate dislike to Kirkwood even before he took over Eastenders. This is possibly due to his work on Hollyoaks which again many people do not class as real soap for some reason. I personally loved his work on Hollyoaks and thought that the fire at the Dog was brilliant. I still think he can do the same for Eastenders.
  • Carol.WCarol.W Posts: 172
    Forum Member
    I think the problem many have is that we are almost a year into his run yet he has nothing to show for it. This has never happened with any other producer of EastEnders. He really has got off to the worst start in the entire history of the show. Further more he has no excuses for the show being so dire. He could have made the Lucas plot end on an epic high instead it ended low key. Much like Peggy's exit.
  • LoveWillPrevailLoveWillPrevail Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think he'll do brilliant
    Forum Member
    I think he'll do brilliant
    Well his first year has been anything but brilliant.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Carol.W wrote: »
    Well his first year has been anything but brilliant.

Well 9 months he started in March, and I dont think its been too bad at all. Lets see how Christmas episodes play out
    Forum Member
    Well 9 months he started in March, and I dont think its been too bad at all. Lets see how Christmas episodes play out

He was announced as new EP last November and worked along side Diederick for most of January and February. Bryan was a key in Kat and Alfie's return and they were announced early Feb. :)

Links
    How will the handover period work?"There'll be a little bit of an overlap. I'm running the show until the end of February. Monday, March 1 is when Bryan gets my office and that's when I'll be gone. Through January and February, we'll be doing something of a handover, but I'll be spending quite a bit of time during February working on the live episode, so I'll be only too pleased to hand over by that point. I'll collaborate with Bryan on the storylining through that period and then when I'm going at the end of February, he gets the special bunch of keys."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s2/eastenders/interviews/a189591/diederick-santer-executive-producer-eastenders.html

http://www.walfordweb.co.uk/item.php?id=2483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He was announced as new EP last November and worked along side Diederick for most of January and February. Bryan was a key in Kat and Alfie's return and they were announced early Feb. :)

Links

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s2/eastenders/interviews/a189591/diederick-santer-executive-producer-eastenders.html

http://www.walfordweb.co.uk/item.php?id=2483

I know that :) but he took full control in March and his first episodes were in June :)
    Forum Member
    I know that :) but he took full control in March and his first episodes were in June :)

It doesn't make any difference. He had very strong imput before that as the links prove. :) excuses don't cut it when both Diederick and Bryan himself confirm he was planning things long before he took up full control!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It doesn't make any difference. He had very strong imput before that as the links prove. :) excuses don't cut it when both Diederick and Bryan himself confirm he was planning things long before he took up full control!!

Well Im still keeping faith in him! Till around Feb/March time
  • Cosmic GiftedCosmic Gifted Posts: 3,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still enjoying it at the moment xD I think it will pick up a lot in the next week or two.
  • ::Adam::::Adam:: Posts: 7,223
    Forum Member
    I'm still enjoying it - and it really has improved this week.

People took an instant dislike to him because he came from Hollyoaks.
  • _BollyKnickers__BollyKnickers_ Posts: 4,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me some of the current storylines are really good, while others are poor. EE as a whole isn't terrible, but it is rather patchy. Looking forward to the new year though, some promising stuff to come so fingers crossed! :)
    Forum Member
    I think, the show can only really be his, once Stacey's left - because then, the biggest storyline from DS era(who killed Archie) has gone.
  • ghettoBLASTER!ghettoBLASTER! Posts: 5,220
    Forum Member
    ::Adam:: wrote: »

When you say some who do you mean? because it would help saying so. I have no issue with him coming from Hollyoaks as he guilded Hollyoaks to its most successful era. On EastEnders however like another person said he has so far had the worst first year for any exec the show has ever had. There have been some bright sparks but overall 2010 EastEnders has been a major letdown and quite frankly not good enough for a soap in it's 25th Anniversary year.
    Forum Member
    When you say some who do you mean? because it would help saying so. I have no issue with him coming from Hollyoaks as he guilded Hollyoaks to its most successful era. On EastEnders however like another person said he has so far had the worst first year for any exec the show has ever had. There have been some bright sparks but overall 2010 EastEnders has been a major letdown and quite frankly not good enough for a soap in it's 25th Anniversary year.

I can't go back and list posters(i didn't mean you) but as soon as it was announced people would complain, saying he would turn it into a teen show etc.
    Forum Member
    I can't go back and list posters(i didn't mean you) but as soon as it was announced people would complain, saying he would turn it into a teen show etc.

Well he sure did that didn't he. :rolleyes: I actually wish he had turned it into Hollyoaks as it would have been better than what we have had in handslight.
    Forum Member
    Well he sure did that didn't he. :rolleyes: I actually wish he had turned it into Hollyoaks as it would have been better than what we have had in handslight.

I don't mind the show right now - and this weeks episodes have been quite good - he's also really breathed new life into certain characters etc.

but hey - that's my opinion - yours is different.
    Forum Member
    I don't mind the show right now - and this weeks episodes have been quite good - he's also really breathed new life into certain characters etc.

but hey - that's my opinion - yours is different.

Charlie Brooks is carrying the entire show on her own right now imho which shouldn't be the case. I hope New Year brings the final kick start BK needs or else I think he'll be gone by early Summer. People can say the ratings are healthy all they want but feedback is noted and everywhere is pretty anti EE at the moment. The BBC will be watching feedback from all quarters very closely. They always do.
    Forum Member
    Charlie Brooks is carrying the entire show on her own right now imho which shouldn't be the case. I hope New Year brings the final kick start BK needs or else I think he'll be gone by early Summer. People can say the ratings are healthy all they want but feedback is noted and everywhere is pretty anti EE at the moment. The BBC will be watching feedback from all quarters very closely. They always do.

He really has done wonders for Janine - also Glenda - those where DS didn't seem to have much idea on.
  • gavin shipmangavin shipman Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    I believe Bryan Kirkwood has a lot up his sleeve for EastEnders.

It's only just the beggining of his reign.

All the foundations are there all he has to do now is make fantastic storylines for the great characters that are on the square.
  • ScreamingTree<3ScreamingTree<3 Posts: 4,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

People took a dislike to him because he is a one trick pony.
  • wallo mr slugwallo mr slug Posts: 9,734
    Forum Member

Yes, I agree.

If he can give us 1 week of good episodes then it doesn;t matter that the past 9 months have been bad :)
  • ScreamingTree<3ScreamingTree<3 Posts: 4,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I agree.

If he can give us 1 week of good episodes then it doesn;t matter that the past 9 months have been bad :)

1 week of good episodes then back to 9 months of trash. Yep, what a gifted guy.