Anyone tried giving up smoking with Champix?

Joanne MAJoanne MA Posts: 811
Forum Member
✭✭
I have started on a course of Champix today. I have 2 weeks worth of tablets to take, then an appointment with a nurse in 2 weeks and my quit date is July 26th.

I've tried giving up previously with the aid of all the usual nicotine substitutes and tried cold turkey but without success.

Has anyone tried, and hopefully been successful using Champix? Are the side effects as bad as i have read, and when do the side effects start?

Thank You

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hiya!

I gave up with Champix - yes its really good and effective for the purpose but i suffered some side effects that put me off it ... one, i put on a stone and a half in a month - i didnt even know this was humanly possible plus i wasnt eating any differently as i was on weight watchers at the time.
    two: a friend of mine had died a few months earlier and i started thinking how it would be much better to just die than carry on living, i mean whats the point anyway when you just end up dead anyway - fortunatley for me my OH was listening when i was saying all this and he took me straight to Doc's - i was taken off them straight away !!
    I'm not saying it was because of the Champix , all of this, but i certainly associate it with it all - if there was no side effects then it would be amazing - lots of peopel are ok though so my advice is just to be mindful of yourself and let those around you know and to alert you to any differences they see in you - GOOD LUCK!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 336
    Forum Member
    Used them last september and still not smoking. The only side effect was terrible nausea when taking the evening tablet, so after a few weeks went down to only one tablet in the morning. Best thing I ever did - good luck.
  • TomGrantTomGrant Posts: 4,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey!

I used them to give up about a year ago and they were really effective. They sent me a little west the first couple of days, felt a little drunk, but after only a day I didn't crave cigarettes anymore, and didn't even need to finish the course.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My OH gave up a year ago with Champix. He'd been smoking for over 50 years and tried numerous times before using patches, gum, those fake cigarettes and willpower but had never got past a few weeks before.

On the champix he just gave up - no real cravings, no bad moods like on previous attempts. I didn't think he'd ever give up but he seemed to find it relatively easy - but he also says that the fact that it was tied into a sort of support programme helped, ie he was given 2 weeks of tablets, then returned to the nurse, then the same again etc. He did a 12 week course altogether and there was a weekly drop-in centre he could go to if he wanted to.

The only side effect he had was a bit of indigestion. He has put some weight on (about a stone over the last year) but he's much healthier. For the first time in years he didn't get a bad chest last winter. He says it's the best thing he's ever done.

Good luck and I hope it works just as well for you!
  • MidiboyMidiboy Posts: 8,263
    Forum Member
    I gave up 4 years ago using Champix and haven't had a ciggie since. Two of my mates gave up 3 years ago using Champix after 25 and 19 years of smoking and my OH gave up last year after 30 years of smoking.

I know 3 others who've tried to give up with Champix, didn't finish the 3 month course of tablets and have gone back to smoking again so you need to see it through until the end.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Goodness, the weight gain sounds a bit of a nightmare :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I gave up with Champix 2 years ago. I found it very easy with only the occasional craving and no side effects at all.
  • magikmaxmagikmax Posts: 796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good luck with it. If it doesn't work, don't give up hope. It's always better giving up completely, but have a look at the electronic cigarette thread on here. I did, and haven't had a ciggy since February 27th.
  • jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    Goodness, the weight gain sounds a bit of a nightmare :eek:
    I didnt gain weight. I did suffer nausea from the little tablet. I didnt have to finish
    the course. I had been smoking for 33 years. Had my last cig on nov 3rd 2010
  • Janey JonesJaney Jones Posts: 878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mummymaz wrote: »
    hiya!

I gave up with Champix - yes its really good and effective for the purpose but i suffered some side effects that put me off it ... one, i put on a stone and a half in a month - i didnt even know this was humanly possible plus i wasnt eating any differently as i was on weight watchers at the time.
    two: a friend of mine had died a few months earlier and i started thinking how it would be much better to just die than carry on living, i mean whats the point anyway when you just end up dead anyway - fortunatley for me my OH was listening when i was saying all this and he took me straight to Doc's - i was taken off them straight away !!
    I'm not saying it was because of the Champix , all of this, but i certainly associate it with it all - if there was no side effects then it would be amazing - lots of peopel are ok though so my advice is just to be mindful of yourself and let those around you know and to alert you to any differences they see in you - GOOD LUCK!!

The depressive qualities of Champix are well documented, for some users anyway. The Telegraph ran an article about it about three years ago (sorry, I've long since lost the link :o )

I tried quitting using Champix a couple of years ago. My o/h and I started taking them within a few days of each other, we both stopped smoking after ten days and there were no residual cravings for either of us. Neither of us had any weight gain that I can remember, I had nausea and headaches for a few days after I started taking them and my o/h had digestion problems that didn't end until about a year after he stopped taking them :eek:

We both started smoking again after 2 months of being cigarette-free :(

FWIW I agree with maz, Champix does what it does very effectively and you may not have any of the side-effects mentioned in this thread BUT please make everyone close to you aware of the potential pitfalls and consult your GP if you're concerned about anything at all after you start using it.

Both me and o/h would never try it again after our experiences with it, I hope you're one of the success stories OP :) x
  • jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    My friend was refused them as she had suffered from post natal depression, but 2 other friends have used them to successfully give up the cigs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackol wrote: »
    I didnt gain weight. I did suffer nausea from the little tablet. I didnt have to finish
    the course. I had been smoking for 33 years. Had my last cig on nov 3rd 2010

That's good to know. Think I will have a chat to my GP about them.

Well done btw :)
  • BedlemBedlem Posts: 2,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I gave up last week!

Had the worst case of man-flu ever and couldn't smoke because I was too congested. Haven't lit up a cig since getting rid of it and nor do I fancy it.

Go get desperately ill, best aid to help you give up. That's my advice! :)
  • Joanne MAJoanne MA Posts: 811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for your replies and encouragement everyone.

I'm on day 6 of Champix - my quit smoking date is 26th July. The first couple of times I took the morning tablet I felt quite rough about an hour afterwards and had hot flushes but today it has been fine.

I think my cravings for cigarettes are subsiding, am still smoking but think the majority of them are habitual now, difficult to tell!
  • ThisIsSannyCThisIsSannyC Posts: 415
    Forum Member
    Daft Question Alert:
    How do I get hold of this? :D
  • TequilaTequila Posts: 5,111
    Forum Member
    Just be careful with this if you have a history of mental illness. A recent scientific study said that violent behaviour is eighteen times more likely when using that drug and it has been responsible for hundreds of suicides.
  • ThisIsSannyCThisIsSannyC Posts: 415
    Forum Member
    I've just gone through Health Express... Saw the price of the starter pack: £94.95 :eek::eek::eek::eek:

I've had to have a **** to calm my nerves :D
  • danletodanleto Posts: 2,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anti-smoking drug 'increases the risk of heart attacks and strokes'

I'd rather just slam a few Nicotine patches on my arm and be done with it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep. I used it and gave up. I haven't smoked in a year and a half.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just gone through Health Express... Saw the price of the starter pack: £94.95 :eek::eek::eek::eek:

I've had to have a **** to calm my nerves :D

Go to the doctors and you get it on perscription.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tequila wrote: »
    Just be careful with this if you have a history of mental illness. A recent scientific study said that violent behaviour is eighteen times more likely when using that drug and it has been responsible for hundreds of suicides.

If you have a history of depression they don't give them to you, but on the other hand surly if you felt worse when you took them you would realise and stop?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,304
    Forum Member
    Tequila wrote: »
    Like every antidepressant since people thought they could make money against Prozac, I imagine.
  • TequilaTequila Posts: 5,111
    Forum Member
    lynxmale wrote: »
    Like every antidepressant since people thought they could make money against Prozac, I imagine.

My point was that trying to give up for some people may very well be a damned sight more dangerous than just continuing smoking.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    danleto wrote: »
    Anti-smoking drug 'increases the risk of heart attacks and strokes'

I'd rather just slam a few Nicotine patches on my arm and be done with it.

A nicotine inhalator worked for me when I stopped in June 2007. I'm glad that I didn't have to go down the Champix route.
  • lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,647
    Forum Member
    My mam took them and apart from strange dreams, she didn't have any bad reactions from them. She hasn't smoked since February 2010.