8 Out Of 10 Cats Does Countdown

Comments

• JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For those who, let's say, "appreciate", Rachel, check out this pic she's just tweeted of a recording of regular Countdown.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CI2DYNpWoAADrDy.jpg:large

I'd like to know when that episode airs ;)
  • JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bring back Joe, complements Jon & Seans dry humour with slapstick - show's boring without him

I couldn't stand Joe when I first started watching it, but I began to like him, then he got axed!

Some of the guests in Dict Corner are really appalling.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wasn't quite there for me tonight, mainly because i'm not really a fan of David O' Doherty. Great idea to get Susie and Rachel in on the game but they could have probably done something different with regards to getting people to fill in for them.
  • grazemytvaddictgrazemytvaddict Posts: 4,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really liked the episode tonight, thought it was quite funny. However I must be one of the only people on here to like Sarah Milican and Roisin. I liked most of the guests tonight.
  • PaleHorsePaleHorse Posts: 5,681
    Forum Member
    Does anyone else really dislike Rhod Gilbert? It's alright to be that cocky, but only when you haven't taken a show down with you.
  • playa1playa1 Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roisn isn't that bad but she seems to be on it every other week.
  • JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    A very naff show in all honesty, but Rachel Riley makes it worth watching. If she wasn't on it, I wouldn't tune in. I mean, cloning dogs? That was more random than The One Show.
  • epm-84epm-84 Posts: 3,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wasn't quite there for me tonight, mainly because i'm not really a fan of David O' Doherty. Great idea to get Susie and Rachel in on the game but they could have probably done something different with regards to getting people to fill in for them.

I think they should have done that on a week when Jon was there and then got Rachel and Jon to swap places and Sean and Susie to swap places.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JordyD wrote: »
    Some of the guests in Dict Corner are really appalling.

For normal Countdown one person does dictionary corner for 5 consecutive episodes (unless they've changed it.) Maybe they should have gone with a similar idea for the hybrid program as well - maybe Adam Buxton and Holly Walsh doing the entire series between them?
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    epm-84 wrote: »
    For normal Countdown one person does dictionary corner for 5 consecutive episodes (unless they've changed it.) Maybe they should have gone with a similar idea for the hybrid program as well - maybe Adam Buxton and Holly Walsh doing the entire series between them?

Normal Countdown records five episodes in one day, so it makes sense for the guest to spend the day there. Then they can pretend the guest is spending the entire week with the show (and everyone changes shirts every show to keep up the illusion).

But the 8oo10C version is a weekly show, while they record two shows in a day according to some posters (I've never been able to get tickets). That makes it harder to swap guests around between episodes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bart4858 wrote: »
    But the 8oo10C version is a weekly show, while they record two shows in a day according to some posters (I've never been able to get tickets). That makes it harder to swap guests around between episodes.

They do. Usually one at around 6pm on a Monday and the other at around 9pm. As they don't want an audience of pensioners and students (like real Countdown) they can't do weekday day time recordings. It doesn't mean they can't book the same guest to be there for multiple dates, if they film on dates when they are available.

However, for the 8 Out of 10 Cats Version even when a guest is there for both recordings, they normally have them being a contestant for one and being in dictionary corner for the other.
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Funny that Susie still hasn't scored a single point despite 100s of appearances, but Rachel scored something like 27 points in 3 rounds!
  • Seymour ButtsSeymour Butts Posts: 3,746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know why they keep delaying the scheduled episode from a few weeks back with Adam Buxton, David O'Docherty, Lee Mack and Mel from Mel and Sue?

This Friday is being advertised as Sean Walsh, Danny Dyer, Joe Wilkinson and Bill Bailey.

Two mysteries. No Jon yet again and what is the reason for the missing episode :confused:
  • JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone know why they keep delaying the scheduled episode from a few weeks back with Adam Buxton, David O'Docherty, Lee Mack and Mel from Mel and Sue?

This Friday is being advertised as Sean Walsh, Danny Dyer, Joe Wilkinson and Bill Bailey.

Two mysteries. No Jon yet again and what is the reason for the missing episode :confused:

Have no idea, think that episode was supposed to be on the week before last, then it was changed to last week, but it still didn't happen.

As you mentioned, Joe Wilkinson is on this Friday (as guest captain) and have just checked next weeks episode which shows Sarah Millican as guest captain (yet again). Look like Jon will be missing most of this series for some unknown reason.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Look like Jon will be missing most of this series for some unknown reason.

He got married in April. Maybe that's the reason? If he missed 1 week of filming due to his wedding and 2 weeks due to his honeymoon then that'll be 6 episodes he's missing for.
  • JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No No No Joe Wilkinson guest host tomorrow, might have to give that one a miss.
  • pipkinpipkin Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Went to the filming of the episode shown last week. It took 2 1/2 hours with the introductions segment taking about 45 minutes. So much funny stuff was cut out, Sean read out about 8 limericks & only one was shown. they do the bits where Jimmy Carr messes about in real time which surprised me, but they broadcasted them in a different order, the cloned puppies were done on a letters round & he had the pups on the desk for a bit but they had to cut that bit because Rachel & Susie were not sat with the contestants. It was interesting to see how tv programmes are put together & have to say JC is brilliant at what he does
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pipkin wrote: »
    Sean read out about 8 limericks & only one was shown.
    Pretty sure 3 were shown.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pipkin wrote: »
    Went to the filming of the episode shown last week. It took 2 1/2 hours with the introductions segment taking about 45 minutes. So much funny stuff was cut out, Sean read out about 8 limericks & only one was shown. they do the bits where Jimmy Carr messes about in real time which surprised me, but they broadcasted them in a different order, the cloned puppies were done on a letters round & he had the pups on the desk for a bit but they had to cut that bit because Rachel & Susie were not sat with the contestants. It was interesting to see how tv programmes are put together & have to say JC is brilliant at what he does

There have been some editing errors and some examples of editing which have been too obvious in some episodes.

The other week they didn't show a Dictionary Corner bit at the end of part 2 but at the end of part 3 they showed one which had obviously been filmed at end of part 2. During it they showed Rachel at the numbers board (despite the most recent round being letters) and the scores being lower than they actually were at that stage.

In other episodes the mascots have appeared on screen before they've been brought out, which has given away that they tried to show one of the contestants laughing at a different joke to the one they were laughing at. There was also one where one of Jimmy's opening jokes have been edited and they thought switching to show Rachel would it cover up but the unnatural change in Jimmy's voice gave it away.

I went to one of the filmings last year and observed Jimmy and Sean seem to like engaging with the audience but Jon seems to refuse to even look at the audience, he'll look directly at the camera but not the audience.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dear god .. joe wilkinson and danny dyer ...

https://twitter.com/8Outof10Cats_TV/status/619437093396312064/photo/1

Rachel will have to be completely naked to distract me from the car crash that's going to be ..
  • CherylFanCherylFan Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Rachel will have to be completely naked to distract me from the car crash that's going to be ..

Hmm perhaps a little unlikely but quite an attractive thought
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Danny Dyer too? Bad enough Wilkinson is on, definitely giving this episode a miss.

Jon doesn't seem popular on here though, I like him and hope he comes back soon, not keen on these guest captains.
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CherylFan wrote: »
    Hmm perhaps a little unlikely but quite an attractive thought

But why not? I can think of lots of pros but no cons. Win-win for everyone.
  • JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    Hurry up and get Rachel on!
  • cliffy91cliffy91 Posts: 1,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone know if or when a new series of the original format will be shown? I've had a look online but couldn't find anything