Arsenal Supporters Thread (Part 16)

Comments

• CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rumour that Chesney will be the keeper to leave rather than Ospina:

http://www.givemesport.com/602149-arsenal-star-wojciech-szczesny-agrees-terms-with-as-roma?autoplay=on
  • DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being reported in several places now he's agreed terms in principle. Bit of a surprise really.
  • bluewomble88bluewomble88 Posts: 2,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's really p'ing me off that whilst other clubs are buying, all we're doing is selling. Again.

Even Palace have signed Cabaye ffs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's really p'ing me off that whilst other clubs are buying, all we're doing is selling. Again.

Even Palace have signed Cabaye ffs.

One keeper in so one has to go.

If Joel Campbell goes maybe we'll buy another striker.
  • NightHawk123NightHawk123 Posts: 7,015
    Forum Member
    Happier if Ospina is our No.2 goalie instead of Chesney. A season on loan would do him good hopefully.

Meanwhile RM seem to have Reus on their radar so hopefully that is an indication that Ronaldo will be moved up front leaving Benzema surplus to requirements. Still nothing concrete coming out from either clubs though!

Can't see us not signing a striker after selling Podolski and letting Sanogo out on loan even if Akpom is being moved to the senior squad this season.

If we don't sign a striker I can see Wenger playing Theo up front alot more this season instead of or even alongside Giroud.
  • ustarionustarion Posts: 20,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Happier if Ospina is our No.2 goalie instead of Chesney. A season on loan would do him good hopefully.

Meanwhile RM seem to have Reus on their radar so hopefully that is an indication that Ronaldo will be moved up front leaving Benzema surplus to requirements. Still nothing concrete coming out from either clubs though!

Can't see us not signing a striker after selling Podolski and letting Sanogo out on loan even if Akpom is being moved to the senior squad this season.

If we don't sign a striker I can see Wenger playing Theo up front alot more this season instead of or even alongside Giroud.

Maybe Walcott just needs his chance. Giroud sure as hell has had his and is always found wanting when it matters most.
  • WouterWouter Posts: 2,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ustarion wrote: »
    Maybe Walcott just needs his chance. Giroud sure as hell has had his and is always found wanting when it matters most.

I suspect that you're right and that we'll once again rely on what we have have rather than fork out for quality additions. Saying that, when Walcott played through the middle on occasions last year he did well and may well surprise us all, just as Coq did last season.

Madness to rely on what ifs though when you've got plenty of cash in the bank to buy "certainties" like Schneiderlin and Benzema/Lacazette.

But hey, the window's still open and we may well get a(nother) quality addition or two. We can do with moving a few on as well... Realistically, how many games are Rosicky, Arteta, Flamini and Campbell going to play? Get rid of these and get 2 players in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Diaby to have a medical at West Brom. That should be interesting!
  • WouterWouter Posts: 2,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DavidT wrote: »

That doctor's going to miss din dins...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Now watch him go through next season injury free and lift the Baggies to mid table.

Some amusing tweets here:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2529659-how-twitter-reacted-to-abou-diabys-rumoured-move-to-west-brom?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure why Lord Harris has come out with this publicly http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33648776
    Forum Member
    Not sure why Lord Harris has come out with this publicly http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33648776

This quote is interesting:
    We get a list of the players that Wenger wants. On the list is a centre forward, but I'm not going to tell you who he is.

You've got to get the other team to want to sell him, but I think he wants to come. It basically comes down to whether the other team can find a superstar to replace him, because they don't have to sell.

Sounds like Benzema to me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If we make another major signing in any position before the start of the league I will walk naked.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    Isnt Benzema similar to Giroud?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Isnt Benzema similar to Giroud?

Not as lazy. Giroud reminds me of a typical goal-hanger in a secondary school football match.
    Forum Member
    Also Benzema can take players on and has more assists, not just lay off the ball to the midfielders as soon as he gets it and importantly has more pace.

At RM, he's always been in the shadow of Ronaldo where almost everything goes through him. I reckon at a different club we'll see the real Benzema come out where he doesn't need to automatically look for Ronaldo to play in all the time.

Ozil also had him in his dream team XI so he must really love playing with him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also Benzema can take players on and has more assists, not just lay off the ball to the midfielders as soon as he gets it and importantly has more pace.

At RM, he's always been in the shadow of Ronaldo where almost everything goes through him. I reckon at a different club we'll see the real Benzema come out where he doesn't need to automatically look for Ronaldo to play in all the time.

Ozil also had him in his dream team XI so he must really love playing with him.

When as usual Giroud flattered to deceive in the big matches at the World Cup he was dispatched and Benzema took the main role. It was so obvious that he was 10x the player Giroud was.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    "Apart from Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo, he could have any player."

Well that's 2 players confirmed off the list.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    Also I think the amount quoted is our cash reserves, not the actual transfer budget :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just wonder why he brought it up. Raises expectations doesn't it?
  • satellitesatellite Posts: 8,181
    Forum Member
    ustarion wrote: »
    If we make another major signing in any position before the start of the league I will walk naked.

And I'll be there holding your hand! ;-)

I'll be STUNNED if we get anyone else in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    Lord Harris....yawn. Every pre season one of the board says something similar.
    Why would Benzema leave RM? He's a favourite of Perez's and first choice. Wenger might be hoping they'll buy in someone else to replace him like with Ozil, but Harris' remarks would mean that the price might go up.
    Can't see it happening although would love it to. Benzema is way better than Giroud.
  • Eddie hunterEddie hunter Posts: 4,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    "Apart from Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo, he could have any player."

Well that's 2 players confirmed off the list.
    Just wonder why he brought it up. Raises expectations doesn't it?

Never understand why clubs make these sort of statements. It works fine if you are saying it while parading your new 50m player but it looks ridiculous when there is no one actually signed up.

It was Woodward and Moyes huge mistake at Man Utd. Get the business done THEN boast about the transfer cash!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly, boasting about how much you have got doesn't help at all.
This discussion has been closed.