The Walk-In Goal

wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,895
Forum Member
✭✭
I do not like it.

Just to explain briefly what this is, for those that do not know, it is when a team allows the opposition straight from kickoff to walk-in the ball into the goal, without a challenge.

It happened on Saturday in the Doncaster Rovers v Bury League 1 match. The Bury goalkeeper had put the ball out for a throw-in to allow a player who was injured to get treatment. When Doncaster returned the ball to the goalkeeper the ball was lobbed over the Bury goalkeeper (by accident) and went into the net. This then led to the walk-in goal.

The incident (and the goals) are reported in the Independent newspaper, if you have not already seen and read about it. The link is here: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/doncaster-rovers-let-bury-walk-ball-into-the-net-for-injurytime-equaliser-in-great-show-of-sportsmanship-in-league-one-10447183.html

It has been called an act of sportsmanship by some.

But in my mind there can be nothing worst than just seeing a team allow the opposition to score a goal in that way.

In fact there was a directive a few years ago that it was up to the referee (and only the referee) to stop play for injury, and this whole thing of players kicking the ball out of play, and then the opposition would return it to them, would be stopped. Whatever happened to it? I would like it to actually be returned and be in common use.

And certainly if I was a Doncaster Rovers fan, I would not be happy they allowed a team to score a goal in that way. In fact the Doncaster Rovers fans were booing as Bury scored the goal.

The solution to this: Simple, it existed for almost 100 years, let the referee decide to stop play or not, and if so, re-start the game with a CONTESTED DROP BALL. (A contested drop ball, almost seems to have been fotgotten about in the game nowadays.)

Final thought, imagine if Doncaster Rovers miss out on promotion by a point, or something.

Comments

• wampa1wampa1 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ref should have just disallowed the first goal. Make up a reason like foul throw or something.
  • wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wampa1 wrote: »
    Ref should have just disallowed the first goal. Make up a reason like foul throw or something.

According to the laws of the game, a goal had being scored. It is not the referees job to disallow goals for made up reasons.

You can not seriously say that a referee should just be making up things as he goes along are you?
  • Will_JohnsonWill_Johnson Posts: 857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Given the specific circumstances, and noting that its farcical in a lot of respects, I don't have a big problem.

I don't really like the sceptre of throwing the ball out to allow physios on and then it being returned, but I think introducing some rule to deal with the issue is unnecessary for the number of instances where it occurs.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Considering it was a legitimate goal that was initially scored, there's not really a lot the referee could have done about. I think what happened next was incredibly sporting and everyone involved should be commended.
  • kempshottkempshott Posts: 1,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could he have disallowed the goal for ungentlemanly conduct / unsporting behaviour (Law 12)?
  • wampa1wampa1 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can not seriously say that a referee should just be making up things as he goes along are you?
    It wouldn't be the first time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kempshott wrote: »
    Could he have disallowed the goal for ungentlemanly conduct / unsporting behaviour (Law 12)?

The issue is that he could not have been certain that the player didn't intend to score.

That's why it was left to Paul Dickov to instruct his players to allow the equaliser.
  • djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When Forest played Leicester in the Carling Cup a few years ago and the match was abandoned as Clive Clarke had a heart attack, in the rematch Forest were allowed to score from kick off as they were winning 1-0 when the match was abandoned. Many matches have been abandoned before and since when this hasn't happened
  • Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,620
    Forum Member
    djfunnyman wrote: »
    When Forest played Leicester in the Carling Cup a few years ago and the match was abandoned as Clive Clarke had a heart attack, in the rematch Forest were allowed to score from kick off as they were winning 1-0 when the match was abandoned. Many matches have been abandoned before and since when this hasn't happened

Sticks in the throat that if the match is abandoned any Yellow & Red cards stand. whilst goals are declared void in Spain they just play the remainder of the match on another day with the scores standing from the abandoned game. A couple of years ago Tranmere v Notts County was abandoned but Tranmere reduced the ticket prices for the rearranged game to £5 on the night free if bought in advance.

Perfectly fair thing to do, one of those things which the player was passing back to the oppositions keeper but misjudged the pass & scored, their manager told them to let the other side score.

Steve Bruce would be wanting the game replayed if he was the manager of the team who conceded the goal.:D
  • djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sticks in the throat that if the match is abandoned any Yellow & Red cards stand. whilst goals are declared void in Spain they just play the remainder of the match on another day with the scores standing from the abandoned game. A couple of years ago Tranmere v Notts County was abandoned but Tranmere reduced the ticket prices for the rearranged game to £5 on the night free if bought in advance.

Perfectly fair thing to do, one of those things which the player was passing back to the oppositions keeper but misjudged the pass & scored, their manager told them to let the other side score.

Steve Bruce would be wanting the game replayed if he was the manager of the team who conceded the goal.:D

Yeah I was at both the abandoned and rearranged game. County were winning 1-0 when the match was abandoned and won the rematch 1-0 too :)
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,787
    Forum Member
    Great sporting moment. I remember a similar incident at Wolves many years ago when Wolves should have done the same but didn't. Dave Beasant was a little unhappy about it i seem to remember.
  • Draca_NoirDraca_Noir Posts: 1,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another aspect of letting Bury equalise in the last minute is the betting aspect. If you had it down as Both Teams To Score then :D:D:D, however if you had 0-0 you'd be :(:(
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Draca_Noir wrote: »
    Another aspect of letting Bury equalise in the last minute is the betting aspect. If you had it down as Both Teams To Score then :D:D:D, however if you had 0-0 you'd be :(:(

It could also affect League positions if it comes down to 'Goals scored' at the end of the season

If Bury get in the plays offs by virtue of having the same goal difference but having scored one more goal than someone else.........someone will remember this first game !
  • Keith_13Keith_13 Posts: 1,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't the equaliser offside as he takes it off the goalkeeper?
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it depends who the ball was put out for - if the Bury keeper put it out for a Doncaster player then fair enough, but if for his own team then they shouldn't expect the ball back.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keith_13 wrote: »

No. You cannot be offside if the ball is played by the opponent.

Imagine the furore if the referee had blown for time as the Bury player was on the edge of the box...
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do not like it.

Just to explain briefly what this is, for those that do not know, it is when a team allows the opposition straight from kickoff to walk-in the ball into the goal, without a challenge.

It happened on Saturday in the Doncaster Rovers v Bury League 1 match. The Bury goalkeeper had put the ball out for a throw-in to allow a player who was injured to get treatment. When Doncaster returned the ball to the goalkeeper the ball was lobbed over the Bury goalkeeper (by accident) and went into the net. This then led to the walk-in goal.

The incident (and the goals) are reported in the Independent newspaper, if you have not already seen and read about it. The link is here: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/doncaster-rovers-let-bury-walk-ball-into-the-net-for-injurytime-equaliser-in-great-show-of-sportsmanship-in-league-one-10447183.html

It has been called an act of sportsmanship by some.

But in my mind there can be nothing worst than just seeing a team allow the opposition to score a goal in that way.

In fact there was a directive a few years ago that it was up to the referee (and only the referee) to stop play for injury, and this whole thing of players kicking the ball out of play, and then the opposition would return it to them, would be stopped. Whatever happened to it? I would like it to actually be returned and be in common use.

And certainly if I was a Doncaster Rovers fan, I would not be happy they allowed a team to score a goal in that way. In fact the Doncaster Rovers fans were booing as Bury scored the goal.

The solution to this: Simple, it existed for almost 100 years, let the referee decide to stop play or not, and if so, re-start the game with a CONTESTED DROP BALL. (A contested drop ball, almost seems to have been fotgotten about in the game nowadays.)

Final thought, imagine if Doncaster Rovers miss out on promotion by a point, or something.

Then they should have played better the whole season, not just blaming one game. I see nothing wrong with allowing a walk in goal in this instance, the player was passing back to the keeper that was the intention, an unfortunate pass led to a goal, when it should have been 0-0.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,787
    Forum Member
    Keith_13 wrote: »

In what possible way could that have been offside?
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    It could also affect League positions if it comes down to 'Goals scored' at the end of the season

If Bury get in the plays offs by virtue of having the same goal difference but having scored one more goal than someone else.........someone will remember this first game !

Good point. I see no reason why the League could not void both goals.