Arsenal Supporters Thread (Part 16)

Comments

• victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tactic weaknesses again. Lack of width and playing players out of position like Ramsey wide.
  • HaydenHayden Posts: 32,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elyan wrote: »

Chamberlain looked very good when he came on. I think he is better coming off the bench in big games. Must be given more game time though, in other games.

I don't necessarily disagree but you have to wonder how long Chamberlain will be happy with this. He'd be an extremely desirable signing for many big clubs yet it seems like he still doesn't get into our best 11.

As for Welbeck's 'little minor injury' that Professor Plum said would keep him out for a week or so back in April - who knows?
  • ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    Hayden wrote: »
    I don't necessarily disagree but you have to wonder how long Chamberlain will be happy with this. He'd be an extremely desirable signing for many big clubs yet it seems like he still doesn't get into our best 11.

As for Welbeck's 'little minor injury' that Professor Plum said would keep him out for a week or so back in April - who knows?

The thing is, he is inconsistent if you play him game in game out. He's even inconsistent during games. Bit of an enigma. Good with the ball. Good at running at players. Good shot. Very threatening at times. Yet he doesn't seem to be able to do it for the whole game. Not even most of the game.

That's why I think he's best as an impact sub.

By the way - Chelsea's 33 year old ex reserve 'keeper didn't do bad last night. did he? ;-)
  • DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Giroud will remain an enigma. Capable of brilliant goals and also of being totally anonymous for an entire match. I doubt he will ever change. Not sure Wellbeck is going to be the answer. Playing with Giroud in the team alters our whole style of play. We have scored two goals in three games and one of them an own goal.
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    sotek wrote: »
    It's some version of this ... or perhaps in reverse where he is desperate to win it and then turn around and bask in the glory of knowing he was right and everyone else was wrong.
    But of course! TBF, he has come close at times, but just doesn't seem to learn from mistakes.

And I agree with Henry when he says the midfield isn't that bad; Vieira was good but he was one of a kind. And physicality alone isn't going to win you titles. Neville basked himself in nostalgia. Otherwise wouldn't United struggle without a Keane?

There is no proper striker in the team. Giroud with the greatest of respects isn't good enough to win you a league.

City have Aguero, Chelsea have Costa, United have Rooney. And United will probably sign another striker before the transfer window shuts.

Arsenal? Rely on Giroud to miss chance after chance, score a worldie when it doesn't matter and do the same old thing again. Finish in the top four and make do.

The Crystal Palace game should've been over after 20 minutes. If Arsenal have a proper striker, they would look the business.
  • HaydenHayden Posts: 32,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elyan wrote: »
    The thing is, he is inconsistent if you play him game in game out. He's even inconsistent during games. Bit of an enigma. Good with the ball. Good at running at players. Good shot. Very threatening at times. Yet he doesn't seem to be able to do it for the whole game. Not even most of the game.

That's why I think he's best as an impact sub.

By the way - Chelsea's 33 year old ex reserve 'keeper didn't do bad last night. did he? ;-)

As you very well know, my point wasn't to criticise Cech who is and always has been an excellent keeper, but to state that if that particular signing was our only transfer business of the summer it would be gross negligence on Wenger's part.
    Forum Member
    But of course! TBF, he has come close at times, but just doesn't seem to learn from mistakes.

And I agree with Henry when he says the midfield isn't that bad; Vieira was good but he was one of a kind. And physicality alone isn't going to win you titles. Neville basked himself in nostalgia. Otherwise wouldn't United struggle without a Keane?

There is no proper striker in the team. Giroud with the greatest of respects isn't good enough to win you a league.

City have Aguero, Chelsea have Costa, United have Rooney. And United will probably sign another striker before the transfer window shuts.

Arsenal? Rely on Giroud to miss chance after chance, score a worldie when it doesn't matter and do the same old thing again. Finish in the top four and make do.

The Crystal Palace game should've been over after 20 minutes. If Arsenal have a proper striker, they would look the business.

Spot on. Absolutely agree.
  • misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How many 6 foot plus very physical but talented players out there?

I see what Neville was saying but its not as if there are bunch of Viera esque players waiting to be snapped up by clubs.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Anyone think Ramsey was onside? I think he was marginally off, Sky said he was offside :confused:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34050874

Benteke's goal the other day shouldnt have stood, that was offside too.
  • ustarionustarion Posts: 20,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Anyone think Ramsey was onside? I think he was marginally off, Sky said he was offside :confused:

He was onside and agree with him about video technology.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »

He doesnt mention that Rugby like football doesnt use video technlogy for everything.

In Rugby League they dont use it to determine if a pass was thrown forward for example. They dont use it to check if a play the ball was done correctly.

For me a video ref can only be used in football for decisions that offer no ambiguty.

Whether the ball has crossed the line isnt open for debate. Offsides can be as can fouls as can handballs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    misawa97 wrote: »
    He doesnt mention that Rugby like football doesnt use video technlogy for everything.

In Rugby League they dont use it to determine if a pass was thrown forward for example. They dont use it to check if a play the ball was done correctly.

For me a video ref can only be used in football for decisions that offer no ambiguty.

Whether the ball has crossed the line isnt open for debate. Offsides can be as can fouls as can handballs.

A pass being thrown forward doesn't necessarily mean there may be a goal though. Ramsey actually put the ball in the net.

Although I agree it might rely on the referees recognising there is an element of doubt about something, unless it would have be used for all goals scored. This in itself might not add too much time on to a match if it is just to check if it is onside or not. What might be more difficult is checking everything that led up to the goal - i.e. was their a foul beforehand.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ustarion wrote: »
    A pass being thrown forward doesn't necessarily mean there may be a goal though. Ramsey actually put the ball in the net.

Although I agree it might rely on the referees recognising there is an element of doubt about something, unless it would have be used for all goals scored. This in itself might not add too much time on to a match if it is just to check if it is onside or not. What might be more difficult is checking everything that led up to the goal - i.e. was their a foul beforehand.

Plenty of tries can be scored from a forward pass.

You are right about things leading up to a goal. You couldnt just check offsides, after that people would want possible fouls in the area to be checked and so forth,

Whats more important is getting to the bottom of why big decisions are called incorrectly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plenty of tries can be scored from a forward pass.

You are right about things leading up to a goal. You couldnt just check offsides, after that people would want possible fouls in the area to be checked and so forth,

Whats more important is getting to the bottom of why big decisions are called incorrectly.

"Can be" - that's the whole point. Ramsey actually DID put the ball in the net. In rugby if there is any element of doubt about a try then the referee goes to video evidence. I think sometimes this process takes longer in rugby because sometimes they have to look at various angles etc. I think this would be less of a problem in football if only offside was being checked.

Big decisions will always be called incorrectly whilst they are down to human judgement. I think it is nearly impossible for a linesman to see where the offensive player started his run whilst at the same time focus on where the last defensive player is situated.
    Forum Member
    It's too important.

A decision could be made by a 5th or a pair of 5th officials in a back room at the stadium. It would take less than 30 seconds. In the meantime the game could go on.

The game has the money. There is no excuse not to use the technology.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Can be" - that's the whole point. Ramsey actually DID put the ball in the net. In rugby if there is any element of doubt about a try then the referee goes to video evidence. I think sometimes this process takes longer in rugby because sometimes they have to look at various angles etc. I think this would be less of a problem in football if only offside was being checked.

Big decisions will always be called incorrectly whilst they are down to human judgement. I think it is nearly impossible for a linesman to see where the offensive player started his run whilst at the same time focus on where the last defensive player is situated.

Sorry what I meant was tries are scored from forward passes just like goals are scored when players are offside.

Rugby League doesnt have the video ref check if a pass was thrown forward and a try is scored.
    It's too important.

A decision could be made by a 5th or a pair of 5th officials in a back room at the stadium. It would take less than 30 seconds. In the meantime the game could go on.

The game has the money. There is no excuse not to use the technology.

Where does it stop? If a player goes down in the box should the video ref check. Look at corners and the amount of pulling, pushing and fouling done in the area. Should a video ref look at that? Free kicks? Why stop there, how about corners which are mistankly given and then a goal is scored. Surely a video ref could check to make sure the corner was the correct decision and not a goal kick instead.
    Forum Member
    Sorry what I meant was tries are scored from forward passes just like goals are scored when players are offside.

Rugby League doesnt have the video ref check if a pass was thrown forward and a try is scored.

Where does it stop? If a player goes down in the box should the video ref check. Look at corners and the amount of pulling, pushing and fouling done in the area. Should a video ref look at that? Free kicks? Why stop there, how about corners which are mistankly given and then a goal is scored. Surely a video ref could check to make sure the corner was the correct decision and not a goal kick instead.

Just goals and penalty decisions.
  • ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member

actually, rugby has its problems too. The ref bottled a forward pass call in the World Cup final, which would probably have meant France beat the All Blacks, in NZ :o
    Refs are human and they make mistakes, part of the game. That doesn't mean I'm happy with the standard of refereeing in the PL right now as I think it's the worst it's been for some time. Maybe too much pressure from the moneyed clubs?
    Some of the refs we see in the CL from (eg) Italy or Spain seem to be better than here.
    (there was a Turkish ref who was v good as well, can't remember his name).

Now that Neville et al have had a pop at Wenger, no chance of him signing anyone. Here we go again! Anyone else see the interview with Cech where he was asked if we could win the PL this year. He gave a politician's rambling answer. He believes no, basically. He knows what it takes. No doubt Arsene told him a bunch of porkies about strengthening the squad and signing new world class players etc etc etc. (at least he's got the medals and isn't exactly on a pauper's wages). I look forward to Cech coaching the defence actually.
    sorry such a long post.
  • NightHawk123NightHawk123 Posts: 7,015
    Forum Member
    Monday Night Football's analysis of the Invincibles and the current midfield in case you missed it.

http://youtu.be/ztqxfVr5LtE

I would have loved for Wenger to have bought Kondogbia. We need some physicality to balance the small tippy tappy footballers we have in midfield. If that means to bench either Santi or Ramsey then so be it.

He needs to play 2 defensive midfielders more often to play in big away games and exceptional situations like last night where we lost both the first choice CBs.

This means nothing if you don't have a decent striker up front who can put away chances.
  • WouterWouter Posts: 2,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Away to Spuds in the league cup.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Oh dear.
    Third round?
    Forum Member
    The fixture falls three days after we play Chelsea away, and four days before we play Leicester away.

He will put out a mixed side. I think spuds will also field a semi-reserve team.
  • soteksotek Posts: 3,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our transfer policy:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/aug/27/per-mertesacker-laurent-koscielny-arsenal-arsene-wenger-transfer-markt

To summarise ... 'We need somebody but despite having had the whole summer to find a suitable player we've left it until the last minute but I'm sure someone (no idea who yet) will turn up'

Sheer mismanagement.
    Forum Member
    sotek wrote: »
    Our transfer policy:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/aug/27/per-mertesacker-laurent-koscielny-arsenal-arsene-wenger-transfer-markt

To summarise ... 'We need somebody but despite having had the whole summer to find a suitable player we've left it until the last minute but I'm sure someone (no idea who yet) will turn up'

Sheer mismanagement.

This quote doesn't surprise me, "I cannot say I am very confident because we are not close to signing anybody at the moment.”

Dithering comes to mind.
    Forum Member
    We're in Group F against

Bayern Munich
    Olympiakos
    Dynamo Zagreb

Can't see us not going through to the knockouts. Best we can hope for is 2nd spot behind the obvious favourites Bayern.
This discussion has been closed.