2015/16 Football League TV Fixtures Thread

Comments

• Options
    1066simon1066simon Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    stevvy1986 wrote: »
    Derby v Burnley - Monday 21st September - 7.45pm
    Huddersfield v Nottingham Forest - Thursday 24th September - 7.45pm

Both have been picked as all 4 teams are out of the Capital One Cup, so can play that midweek (Derby v Burnley moved back 2 days, Huddersfield v Forest moved forward 2 days).

This also obviously means R3 of the Capital One Cup will have a live Tuesday and Wednesday game (as we likely expected, but that's basically confirmation).

Moved at 4 weeks notice, what a joke.
  • Options
    wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But there was always a chance that it could be moved.

Yes I go to matches. I came back from the Wolves match tonight.
  • Options
    bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please don't start with the moving fixtures thing again, I can't see many Burnley or Forest fans having already booked travel, if any.

The League Cup is a tough one, Spurs vs Arsenal is 100% to be on TV. It's a tough choice after that, Villa's cup record at home is pretty dreadful up until the FA Cup last season, it's a chance of an upset along with a fiery local derby which often results in a good punch up. Walsall/Chelsea is classic cup draw stuff, but Chelsea will probably play a reserve team & IMO, Birmingham are more likely to beat Villa than Walsall are to beat Chelsea (Be delighted to be proved wrong).

Given the Blues/Villa hasn't been played for a while & isn't too likely to be a league fixture anytime soon, I'd go with that.

Spurs/Arsenal is the biggest tie of the round despite it being played regularly, it will capture neutrals & the media's attention more than other games, while watching the same teams play each other can be a bit dull, the viewing figures for this will be higher than any other tie.
  • Options
    JudioJudio Posts: 11,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now Qpr are out surely Sky will now show QPR away at Brentford on Fri Oct 30th (local derby)
    That will mean only Charlton are needed to be selected for Championship clubs
  • Options
    stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,088
    Forum Member
    Spurs v Arsenal is a nailed on TV game (you could argue it's a game between 2 PL sides that we'll see this season anyway, but it'll get higher viewing figures than any other potential TV game in this round).

Would have said Villa v Birmingham will be shown until Walsall v Chelsea came out. For me that tie is also nailed on.

Must admit though, Ipswich away to Man Utd, Carlisle away to Liverpool, Walsall at home to Chelsea are examples of why I'm peeved that my team (Huddersfield) have such a pathetic cup record in recent years. If I'm right, had we beaten Notts County in R1 we'd have been seeded and been drawn away to Walsall, and had we won that, we'd have been at home to Chelsea (and likely on TV).

In a way though, Walsall might be a little bit gutted that they're at home rather than away as you don't get TV fees for being shown in this competition (unlike the FA Cup), and they'll not make anything like as much money as they would have done had they been drawn away.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Walsall v Chelsea confirmed to be played on the Weds

As Spurs play on the Sunday before

Looks like Sky may be showing the Birmingham derby on Tuesday
    TV games should be announced later today
  • Options
    IC89IC89 Posts: 1,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So it looks like common sense/circumstance has seen to it that the Birmingham derby is on TV.

I have yet to see one person on the forums I frequent/Twitter to say they are salivating at Walsall-Chelsea. Villa-Birmingham on the other hand is causing abuzz everywhere.

And let's face it, the Brum derby surely has all the ingredients needed. A potential upset, hostilities between the teams and fans, a white hot atmosphere and the chance to be outraged when a few fans run onto the pitch.

While Chelsea get the ratings their trouncing of a minnow with a second string isn't appealing compared to that, surely?
  • Options
    Neil_HarrisNeil_Harris Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Walsall V Chelsea & Villa/Blues should be the TV Games.

Why does anyone want to watch Arsenal reserves Vs Spurs Reserves?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Judio wrote: »
    Now Qpr are out surely Sky will now show QPR away at Brentford on Fri Oct 30th (local derby)
    That will mean only Charlton are needed to be selected for Championship clubs
    Just confirmed
    Fri Oct 30th Brentford v QPR 745
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In a way though, Walsall might be a little bit gutted that they're at home rather than away as you don't get TV fees for being shown in this competition (unlike the FA Cup), and they'll not make anything like as much money as they would have done had they been drawn away.

Really? Is that the case, I genuinely don't know. However I'd have thought live League Cup TV games would be similar to live Football League games, in that both teams involved in a live game receive a payment for being involved with the home club getting slightly more for staging the match. I'm not sure of the figures involved but I believe that is roughly how it works when it comes to league matches organised by the same competition. I'd be interested if someone can clear this up.
    IC89 wrote: »
    I have yet to see one person on the forums I frequent/Twitter to say they are salivating at Walsall-Chelsea.

I guess you didn't bother to read my post at the very top of this page of this thread! While perhaps "salivating" isn't the right word to describe it, I'm certainly really looking forward to watching Walsall v Chelsea should touch wood I be able to get tickets to it now that it looks very unlikely to be on TV.

As for your comments about the tie being a "trouncing of a minnow" - I find that quite disrespectful and ill-informed to be honest. Walsall have had a fantastic start to the season, with a 100% record in the league after our opening day draw and two upsets over good Championship teams in Forest and Brighton in this competition. So we're hardly cannon fodder who've just stumbled upon a decent draw. Having a former Chelsea youth team player in Milan Lalkovic starring for us in recent weeks gives this tie an extra albeit small talking point. While I'm not going to go as far as predicting an upset, I certainly expect it to be a competitive and watchable contest given the form we are in and the attractive, attacking football we have been playing.

While the (bad) luck of the draw throwing out two local derbies will probably mean we won't be on live UK TV, surely Walsall v Chelsea has to be the strongest candidate to be a featured match on the international feed and the Channel 5 highlights programme.

I'd agree with that. Aside from fans of the two clubs (albeit I'll readily admit we're talking about two massive fanbases which has to count for someone), are many people really looking forward to a third North London derby on top of their two league meetings?

When you factor in the likelihood of second-string players being involved, I can't say it holds that much appeal to me. I'd like to see the two games you suggest as the televised ties but sadly I imagine Arsenal v Tottenham is a nailed on pick.
  • Options
    spursboy68spursboy68 Posts: 4,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really? Is that the case, I genuinely don't know. However I'd have thought live League Cup TV games would be similar to live Football League games, in that both teams involved in a live game receive a payment for being involved with the home club getting slightly more for staging the match. I'm not sure of the figures involved but I believe that is roughly how it works when it comes to league matches organised by the same competition. I'd be interested if someone can clear this up.

I guess you didn't bother to read my post at the very top of this page of this thread! While perhaps "salivating" isn't the right word to describe it, I'm certainly really looking forward to watching Walsall v Chelsea should touch wood I be able to get tickets to it now that it looks very unlikely to be on TV.

As for your comments about the tie being a "trouncing of a minnow" - I find that quite disrespectful and ill-informed to be honest. Walsall have had a fantastic start to the season, with a 100% record in the league after our opening day draw and two upsets over good Championship teams in Forest and Brighton in this competition. So we're hardly cannon fodder who've just stumbled upon a decent draw. Having a former Chelsea youth team player in Milan Lalkovic starring for us in recent weeks give this tie an extra albeit small talking point.

While the (bad) luck of the draw throwing out two local derbies will probably mean we won't be on live UK TV, surely Walsall v Chelsea has to be the strongest candidate to be a featured match on the international feed and the Channel 5 highlights programme.

I'd agree with that. Aside from fans of the two clubs (albeit I'll readily admit we're talking about two massive fanbases which has to count for someone), are many people really looking forward to a third North London derby on top of their two league meetings?

When you factor in the likelihood of second-string players being involved, I can't say it holds that much appeal to me. I'd like to see the two games you suggest as the televised ties but sadly I imagine Arsenal v Tottenham is a nailed on pick.
    I think the Top 6 PL sides do take the League Cup seriously now, Tottenham always did.
  • Options
    kevthelutonbeekevthelutonbee Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spurs v Arsenal is a nailed on TV game (you could argue it's a game between 2 PL sides that we'll see this season anyway, but it'll get higher viewing figures than any other potential TV game in this round).

Would have said Villa v Birmingham will be shown until Walsall v Chelsea came out. For me that tie is also nailed on.

Must admit though, Ipswich away to Man Utd, Carlisle away to Liverpool, Walsall at home to Chelsea are examples of why I'm peeved that my team (Huddersfield) have such a pathetic cup record in recent years. If I'm right, had we beaten Notts County in R1 we'd have been seeded and been drawn away to Walsall, and had we won that, we'd have been at home to Chelsea (and likely on TV).

Might be my imagination but in recent years there is more chance of the game being picked if it Lower League at home to PL and not vice versa as the view seems to be there are more ingredients for a giant killing that way round and yes I do remember Bradford last year.

Three seasons ago my Brentford were drawn at home against Chelsea who were then champions of Europe and ITV showed us live on Sunday lunchtime.

If the game had been drawn the other way round I'm certain we would have been schlepping down to Stamford Bridge at 3pm on the Saturday and I doubt we would have been within 9 minutes of one of the all time cup shocks had Brentford been the away team

So happy the Ra Ra game is now live. Friday night game, full house, the place will be rocking
  • Options
    arunan22arunan22 Posts: 1,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'd disagree. The North London derby immediately stood out to almost all football fans as tie of the round. Ask the majority of football fans about the draw, they will talk about Spurs v Arsenal and not Walsall v Chelsea.

We have this every round, where people constantly forget that 2 big PL teams playing each other almost always rate higher than other ties on TV when it comes to the cup competitions. Yes its a nice story, and its a chance to show a potential upset, but the TV companies care about ratings, not satisfying a minority of people who care about a footballing story.

If all 3 ties were shown, then the ratings would likely reflect my point.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The 2 live games now Confirmed by Football League

Tue Sep 22 Aston Villa v Birmingham 19:45

Wed Sep 23 Tottenham v Arsenal 19:45
  • Options
    RedOrDead36RedOrDead36 Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wooohooo !!! As predicted by myself :D

The right choice has been made. Thank god. Nothing against Walsall but showing boring Chelsea with a 2nd string out doesn't really wet the appetite I never believed Sky would show this option.

If it was all about ratings we'd have the Liverpool and Man Utd games.

Sky will no doubt salivate in the double-derby fixtures especially Villa vs Birmingham as it never fails to kick-off which shouldn't be an overriding factor but lets face it, it is.
  • Options
    IC89IC89 Posts: 1,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Difference - I'm afraid I take your very lop-sided opinions with a pinch of salt, considering you have vested interest in Walsall, which is all well and good, but your essay and 100% record means nothing in the grand scheme of things. It will be an absolute breeze for the champions and frankly the nation doesn't want to see that.
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IC89 wrote: »
    The Difference - I'm afraid I take your very lop-sided opinions with a pinch of salt, considering you have vested interest in Walsall, which is all well and good, but your essay and 100% record means nothing in the grand scheme of things. It will be an absolute breeze for the champions and frankly the nation doesn't want to see that.

We'll see. Remember Chelsea v Bradford City last season? I find both your posts pretty rude and disrespectful - not even worth a pinch of salt. Even RedOrDead36, much as I disagree with him/her, hasn't set out to be rude towards me or my club. All I can say is that I hope your posts writing off the Saddlers will look very silly in a couple of weeks.

Seeing an in-form lower league club host a successful higher division club always has the makings of a good cup tie, we've just been unlucky that two big local derbies, one which hasn't been played in a while and the other involving two teams with massive fanbases, has come out of the same draw where only two ties can be televised as per the terms of the contract. Had Walsall v Chelsea been drawn in the third round in another year when there's been a weaker set of ties, it's very likely it would have been televised live by Sky Sports. I also expect it to be one of the international feed picks.
  • Options
    Neil_HarrisNeil_Harris Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All very predictable, unfortunately sky took the boring option.
  • Options
    pengedragonpengedragon Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cardiff City v Bristol City just moved to Monday October 26th 7.45 for sky coverage
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So sky were waiting for teams to lose this week

That must be all for October now

3 games chosen in Weeks 11 13 and 14

Only 2 games chosen in Week 10
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    34 Championship games chosen out of 92 allowed

We have had 12 Weekends selected out of the 36 in the season
  • Options
    djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As for your comments about the tie being a "trouncing of a minnow" - I find that quite disrespectful and ill-informed to be honest. Walsall have had a fantastic start to the season, with a 100% record in the league after our opening day draw and two upsets over good Championship teams in Forest and Brighton in this competition. So we're hardly cannon fodder who've just stumbled upon a decent draw. Having a former Chelsea youth team player in Milan Lalkovic starring for us in recent weeks gives this tie an extra albeit small talking point. While I'm not going to go as far as predicting an upset, I certainly expect it to be a competitive and watchable contest given the form we are in and the attractive, attacking football we have been playing.

As a Notts County fan I would be writing a similar essay if our game against a Prem team wasn't shown
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here are the 34 already chosen

Fri 7th Aug Brighton v Nottm Forest 19:45
    Sat 8th Aug Leeds v Burnley 12:30
    Sun 9th Aug Preston v Middlesbrough 12:00
    Sat 15th Aug Burnley v Birmingham 12:30
    Sat 15th Aug QPR v Cardiff 17:15
    Sun 16th Aug Wolves v Hull 12:00
    Fri 21st Aug Birmingham v Derby 19:45