Celebs who act nice in the spotlight but are horrible in person

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 355
    Forum Member
    met both Jane Torvill and Natalie Casey (played Donna in 2 pints...) both were so friendly!

A friend also told me a story a couple of years ago that when she was working in a shoe shop Jayne Middlemiss came in and bought some shoes and at the till asked for a discount :p
  • OrdinaryMorningOrdinaryMorning Posts: 2,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've met former Spice Girl Queen B, really nice and down to earth!
  • Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    Jeremy Clarkson stayed at the hotel I worked at
    and was a complete tit. Apart from speaking down to the staff and clicking his fingers for service at the bar he wound all the staff up that day including me but somebody I worked with decided to find his place sitting for evening dining and started to rub all the cutlery Jeremy would be using up and down his sweaty ass crack. Later on a load of us decided to watch him eating while smirking.

I do hope the above story is just a joke! It is truly appalling.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    debrobsam wrote: »
    Cilla Black up her own **** worked with a lovely man who delivered a new car to her, knocked on the front door and was told in no uncertain terms by her tradesmans entrance was at the back !!! Kept the bouquet of flowers which the company sent, for his wife.

In contrast to Cilla and her bad attitude someone I know once delivered something to the home of Gregor Fisher who played Rab C Nesbitt. He was invited in for a cup of tea and came away saying Gregor was the nicest guy he'd ever met,funny and genuine - thankfully nothing like Rab!:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't think much of Paul Daniels when he was on Wife Swap. I couldn't live with him.
    He said on that programme how much he hated noise, people and music and there he is on Strictly Come Dancing. I can't believe it.
    On the other hand there are a few celebrities that have been much nicer than their public persona.
    Jeremy Beadle was apparently the most generous and lovliest man ever.
  • 21CenturyCircus21CenturyCircus Posts: 2,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Asked Andrew Lloyd Webber for his autograph at an England football match at Wembley (we were sat 3 rows in front of him and Summer - from Sound of Music) and he shooed me away with his hand outstretched, didn't say a word and looked absolutely disgusted. I was most dissapointed.
  • SpasmodicSpasmodic Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    Anyone had any experience of Joan Collins?

A mate of mine met her in the loos in a theatre about a year or so ago and they had a long chat about false eyelashes. My mate said Joan Collins was utterly charming and very friendly and has had a massive crush on her ever since!

Barbara Windsor, on the other hand, who's been mentioned on here a lot, is a right nasty piece of work and I've only ever heard bad things about her (from several sources). Apparently she's always been that way and even when she was a child she'd do anything to be in the spotlight. I used to know a woman who'd been at dancing class with her when they were both kids and she said that if someone other than Barbara got any attention there was hell to pay.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Met Mark Thomas (comedian/campaigner) on a train about 8 years ago. Really nice bloke - chatted for most of the journey and gave me a postcard (that sounds bizarre, but it made sense in context!). Gave me his e-mail address and told me to contact him for tickets for a show, which he never replied to, but I'll forgive him that as he had no real obligation to!

Some of the negative commnets on here seem a bit harsh. Saying that someone is totally rude for giving you a "funny look" or not wanting to take an hour out of their day when they are off duty seems a bit OTT. If someone wanted to talk to me about work when I was doing my supermarket shop I'd be a bit miffed.

Although anything that involves being rude to children, swearing or being horrible to staff is out of order.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    Nigel Havers is an absolute arse - was rude to staff at the theatre where I used to work, and called my OH a ruffian (admittedly quite funny, but still).

Richard Briers - absolutely delightful; very sweary and funny.

Colin Baker - also lovely, apparently. I saw him as a baddie in panto when I was 3 and had an absolute phobia of him ever since. When my OH met him, he told him this, and Colin remembered the panto, remembered the scary voice he'd used, and asked to meet me (sadly I was too scared - tragic, I know).

Simon Callow is a legend - went on an impromptu pub crawl with my OH once...

Jim Davidson is a vile little man (personal experience).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats a shame, I've met him a few times in gay bars around London and he has always seemed nice and friendly.

It probably was not a male member (ohh-err missus) of the Virgin staff.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    Have literally just bumped into Chantelle Houghton in Sainsbury's carpark, she had to dodge my trolley as I pushed it away from my car - didn't look up first, oops. Didn't speak as she was talking to her friend.

Anyway, she's very tall, slim, VERY glamorous and looked smart and not tarty. She is also more attractive than I thought she would be in the flesh and smelled nice - nice perfume. She also came across as very self assured and confident (a little bit dismissive) and definitely not ditsy or as she portrays herself in BB.

Have met too many famous people to mention by chance I don't know how, I don't follow them but seem to bump into them somehow.

Here goes:

- David Coulthard - helped me get my bags from the airport carousel and gave me a huge wide smile - lol.
    - Will Carling - helped me lift my luggage onto weighing machine at airport check-out
    - Johnny thingymajig from Coronation Street (ken barlow?) - very small, with son in airport lounge at Heathrow - seemed a bit intrigued that I didn't speak/ask for autograph as didn't stop staring
    - Bob Geldof - sat behind him on a flight. Didn't stop swearing and being quite obnoxious.
    - Terry Nutkins (80s kids' tv - animals) - seemed to be talking to himself while getting on a plane, quite off with everyone
    - Gail Porter - apparently having the time of her life chatting to everyone in the lavatories at a London restaurant about goodness knows what - very funny but very nice
    - Michelle Collins shortly after Cindy Beale portrayal - lovely - gave me a bottle of champagne in a restaurant as she realised it was my birthday (felt really guilty as most of the girls I was with had been discussing her loudly and not in the most favourable way)
    - Jude Law and Sadie Frost - in a hotel in the most obscure part of the world (long after split and during first relationship with Sienna). Very, very good looking man, lovely smile, Sadie flashing evils. Lol
    - Robbie Williams, flashed me a smile as he entered the building where I work - nice
    - George Clooney and Brad Pitt - asked me for directions in Mayfair - very nice
    - Douglas Hurd - Mayfair - busy, busy, out of my way attitude
    - Peter Cook - Harrods - talking to himself, rude to everyone
    - Jimmy Hill - lovely - told me I had a nice name
    - Jarvis Cocker - rude, slimey and smelly
    - Oz Clarke - slimey, drunk and horrid.
    - Christine Aguilera in a swimming pool in a hotel in Italy - largest number of hangers on/entourage have ever seen. Smiled, seemed quite happy.
    - Vic Reeves - uggh!

Am sure there are others but that's enough I think.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I'm new, and I have a few to share.

Tim Healy and Denise Welch are utterly vile
    My brother did some work for them at their house and was treated like he was the scum of the earth.
    Healy was a jumped up little turd, whilst Welch screamed obscenities and gave instructions from inside the house without showing her face.
    When the job was finished they didn't realise that they had to, y'know, actually pay for buiding work.
    They keep their pet dogs in a little shed in the garden.

I saw Rusty Lee (of TVAM chef fame) years ago outside the cinema when I was a teenager, shouting at the cinema staff and pulling the "don't you know who I am?" card.

My Mom met Josie Lawrence in Sainsbury's, and said she was lovely. They had a long chat at the checkouts, and my Mom was struck with how down to earth she is.
  • tinkerbell987tinkerbell987 Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wrenna wrote: »
    I'm new, and I have a few to share.

My brother did some work for them at their house and was treated like he was the scum of the earth.
    Healy was a jumped up little turd, whilst Welch screamed obscenities and gave instructions from inside the house without showing her face.
    When the job was finished they didn't realise that they had to, y'know, actually pay for buiding work.

I saw Rusty Lee (of TVAM chef fame) years ago outside the cinema when I was a teenager, shouting at the cinema staff and pulling the "don't you know who I am?" card.

My Mom met Josie Lawrence in Sainsbury's, and said she was lovely. They had a long chat at the checkouts, and my Mom was struck with how down to earth she is.

am quite surprised about Tim always thought he would be down to earth. not shocked about her though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    Wow! Very interesting read!

I met Barbara Windsor in Blackpool with Dot Cotton and they were lovely. They were staying in the same hotel as us and my sister was fortunate to speak to Babs and she said she was lovely!

I met Abi Titmus at the airport and she was lovely
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,560
    Forum Member
    REALLY? Not a fan of Cliff but I heard he was great to his fans, signed autographes etc. What is the story on Cliff then???:confused:

My OH met him when he used to work in a hotel, said Cliff was very rude to everyone, very snotty etc.
    Same hotel, said Sarah Ferguson was very nice, as was Barbara Windsor, who offered to buy my OH a drink.
    He met loads others but I can't remember them offhand.

sassyblue wrote: »

Eric Pollard from Emmerdale was weird, very chatty and nice but just seemed off his trolley a bit.

Met him over 15 years ago, was very nice, and was chatty as you said, (at the height of when Pollard used to be nasty), not weird or off his trolley at all.
    We were actually doing a charity walk together, organised by the local pub in the tiny villiage in the middle of nowhere when I used to live (near where Emmerdale is filmed).

He even agreed to be handcuffed to a local police woman for the entire walk :D

Speaking of Emmerdale, the guy who played Emily's dad once stopped and asked me for directions to the next village, was very nice and polite.

Went to school with Gordon Strachen's sons. I was stood in the reception area one day and Gordon came in to pick up his youngest. He said hello and seemed nice.

Bobby Charlton - again, nice man, met him as part of a school sports thing.

Angela Griffin - Yuck! Was stood outside of HMV in Leeds and she walked up with her scruffbag of a boyfriend, she was smoking so she waited outside, we were about to ask her 'Are you Fiona from Coronation Street?', got as far as 'Are you....' and she yapped 'YEAH I AM', snottily back.

Eamon Hughes - Lovely man, met him when I was a kid, he was doing some publicity in a local supermarket.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SoapyJo wrote: »

Angela Griffin - Yuck! Was stood outside of HMV in Leeds and she walked up with her scruffbag of a boyfriend, she was smoking so she waited outside, we were about to ask her 'Are you Fiona from Coronation Street?', got as far as 'Are you....' and she yapped 'YEAH I AM', snottily back.

You should have said: "Ahh, a mindreader, I see. You knew I was going to ask if you were one of the local street hookers!"
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    lozza73 wrote: »
    Have literally just bumped into Chantelle Houghton in Sainsbury's carpark, she had to dodge my trolley as I pushed it away from my car - didn't look up first, oops. Didn't speak as she was talking to her friend.

Anyway, she's very tall, slim, VERY glamorous and looked smart and not tarty. She is also more attractive than I thought she would be in the flesh and smelled nice - nice perfume. She also came across as very self assured and confident (a little bit dismissive) and definitely not ditsy or as she portrays herself in BB.

Have met too many famous people to mention by chance I don't know how, I don't follow them but seem to bump into them somehow.

Here goes:

- David Coulthard - helped me get my bags from the airport carousel and gave me a huge wide smile - lol.
    - Will Carling - helped me lift my luggage onto weighing machine at airport check-out
    - Johnny thingymajig from Coronation Street (ken barlow?) - very small, with son in airport lounge at Heathrow - seemed a bit intrigued that I didn't speak/ask for autograph as didn't stop staring
    - Bob Geldof - sat behind him on a flight. Didn't stop swearing and being quite obnoxious.
    - Terry Nutkins (80s kids' tv - animals) - seemed to be talking to himself while getting on a plane, quite off with everyone
    - Gail Porter - apparently having the time of her life chatting to everyone in the lavatories at a London restaurant about goodness knows what - very funny but very nice
    - Michelle Collins shortly after Cindy Beale portrayal - lovely - gave me a bottle of champagne in a restaurant as she realised it was my birthday (felt really guilty as most of the girls I was with had been discussing her loudly and not in the most favourable way)
    - Jude Law and Sadie Frost - in a hotel in the most obscure part of the world (long after split and during first relationship with Sienna). Very, very good looking man, lovely smile, Sadie flashing evils. Lol
    - Robbie Williams, flashed me a smile as he entered the building where I work - nice
    - George Clooney and Brad Pitt - asked me for directions in Mayfair - very nice
    - Douglas Hurd - Mayfair - busy, busy, out of my way attitude
    - Peter Cook - Harrods - talking to himself, rude to everyone
    - Jimmy Hill - lovely - told me I had a nice name
    - Jarvis Cocker - rude, slimey and smelly
    - Oz Clarke - slimey, drunk and horrid.
    - Christine Aguilera in a swimming pool in a hotel in Italy - largest number of hangers on/entourage have ever seen. Smiled, seemed quite happy.
    - Vic Reeves - uggh!

Am sure there are others but that's enough I think.

aw, dont say that about Jarvis :(
  • ILoveMyDogILoveMyDog Posts: 26,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wrenna wrote: »

Poor dogs :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    gaz141 wrote: »
    I was flying back from San Francisco to London and Graham Norton was having a right go at the Virgin check in people (who hadn't a clue who he was) trying to get his mum a free upgrade to biz class even though there were no seats available. Everyone within earshot just stared at him in shock and probably thought like I did that he was a complete tosser, really put me off him after that
    Thats a shame, I've met him a few times in gay bars around London and he has always seemed nice and friendly.

Well I don't think it's too shocking that a man might try his best to get an upgrade for his mum!

I know someone who worked on the So Graham Norton show and he was well liked by the behind the scenes people. When she invited her parents up to London for the day Graham took them all out for lunch. So I think normally he's a nice guy.
  • lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have to say in defence of Graham Norton that I once saw him at a book signing (from afar) and he was great. He saw each person individually asking questions about them, signing personal dedications, having his photo taken with them and their kids etc. No quick one hour and he was off, impersonal signing like a lot of celebs! I know someone who works in the shop and apparently he was there for a good few hours and made sure he saw everyone personally. The staff loved him so he sounds good to me :)
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was hving lunch yesterday in dublin and was sitting directly across from Fr Ted actor Frank Kelly who played Fr Jack

he looked a but grumpy so I didn't say anything and certainly didn't mention any of the phrases from the show :D

He might have been having a bad day but he seemed quite intimidating
  • alfiewozerealfiewozere Posts: 29,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aw, dont say that about Jarvis :(
    I'm sad to hear Jarvis was rude, slimey and smelly - I met him years ago, when Pulp were just hitting the big time and he was lovely. He didn't smell bad then!
  • HaydenHayden Posts: 32,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SoapyJo wrote: »

Eamon Hughes - Lovely man, met him when I was a kid, he was doing some publicity in a local supermarket.

Eamonn Holmes??
    Emlyn Hughes??

Or some weird hybrid of the two?:D
  • titfortattitfortat Posts: 9,126
    Forum Member
    Emma Willis is lovley I was talking to her at the big brother final. She was standing by the smokeing area waiting to do her links for website. And she chatted to everyone, even thou she must of been tired and stuff. Really nice lady.

Davina seems really nice as well. I had her bum in my face but that another story. lol

And they are the only two famous people I have met. I do go to concerts but I can never be bothered with the whole stage door thing
  • SpaceCandySpaceCandy Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cilla Black is apparently a witch off camera.

Friend of mine worked with her doing panto. She's a nightmare!