Options

DECT Phones

Hello,

I think I've read about this problem elsewhere but you're all so helpful I hope you don't mind me asking again!

We had Virgin tv, phone and broadband installed last week. All good, apart from the fact that our DECT phones now don't work very well!

When you press them on for a line on the handset it can take about a minute for the dial tone to appear, when you answer a call it doesn't answer and always goes to answerphone for the caller (despite the caller id identifying who it is!!).

I should add that the phone works absolutely fine with a 'normal' phone and I knew that this might be an issue so I'm surprised but not mad!

Is this, do you think, due to the low voltage issue I've read about elsewhere? The phones are about two years old and John Lewis models (which I know must be some other manufacturer in reality, not sure which though).

Main question is - could someone give me any advice on which new DECT phones to buy that WILL work with the Virgin line? I'm sure some must!!

Thank you in advance - and happy Christmas!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    huddslad wrote: »
    Hello,

I think I've read about this problem elsewhere but you're all so helpful I hope you don't mind me asking again!

We had Virgin tv, phone and broadband installed last week. All good, apart from the fact that our DECT phones now don't work very well!

When you press them on for a line on the handset it can take about a minute for the dial tone to appear, when you answer a call it doesn't answer and always goes to answerphone for the caller (despite the caller id identifying who it is!!).

I should add that the phone works absolutely fine with a 'normal' phone and I knew that this might be an issue so I'm surprised but not mad!

Is this, do you think, due to the low voltage issue I've read about elsewhere? The phones are about two years old and John Lewis models (which I know must be some other manufacturer in reality, not sure which though).

Main question is - could someone give me any advice on which new DECT phones to buy that WILL work with the Virgin line? I'm sure some must!!

Thank you in advance - and happy Christmas!

If you have wireless enabled on the router that can affect the signal, try moving the phone away from it if they are close together or check by turning off the router if they can't be moved,

That at least should test if its the phones or something else.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Sorry but I don't think it's anything to do with the wireless signal on the phones - that is perfectly fine, it's the phone line recognising that there's a receiver wanting to make/pick-up a call.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 436
    Forum Member
    What about changing the wireless channel on the router too? Just to rule it out for sure
  • Options
    ianc153ianc153 Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    hi

i have this same problem!

i have philips 1222s dect phones, and whenever i try to dial out i get a beep instead of a dial tone. repeated presses of the line button eventually clears it, but its very annoying!

i was considering getting new phones, (i had looked at some panasonic on amazon) but if its a problem with the virgin line and dect phones maybe i shouldnt

i have the virgin cable modem, with pc's connected via a wireless router, this is not on all the time and the problem still occurs when the router is off, so i know its nothing to do with that.

so if anyone has any ideas or, as the OP asked, what dect phones work with the virgin system, i would love to know, thanks
  • Options
    AKWAKW Posts: 1,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ianc153 wrote: »
    hi

i was considering getting new phones, (i had looked at some panasonic on amazon) but if its a problem with the virgin line and dect phones maybe i shouldnt

We have Panasonic DECT phones and WiFi router, no problems experienced.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have a twin DECT handset package, one in the lounge and one on my desk here. The one in the lounge downstairs works 100% of the time without issue however the one on my desk regularly suffers from trouble with losing it's signal.

I believe the router at my desk is to blame and no amount of moving the handset around the room seems to help.

I should point out I tried bringing the other handset up here and it started having doing the same thing as my handset, losing signal.

Otherwise we've never had any problems actually using the DECT phones.
  • Options
    Paulius55Paulius55 Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    We have 2 Phillips ONIS 200 DECT phones and a wireless router and have no problems whatever. It also worked with a BT DECT phone without problem.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Thanks very much for all the replies everyone - really appreciate them. Have a lovely Christmas.