Options

Alcatraz

Watched the first two of this series it's already looking like being another "The event,- Falling skies" type dreary go nowhere thing.

Badly written, very poorly acted, these two look like they would be lucky to be getting paid twenty quid a week.

Real thumbs down material.:rolleyes:

Comments

• Options
    zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Methinks your "going nowhere" fear will be shown to be unfounded (probably coulda phrased that a bit better). The makers have said that they have a story to tell and if a second season isn't given then they'll find another medium to complete the journey.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't decide if I like it or not....it's very "cheesy" and I don't know....it kind of doesn't look right - if that makes sense?! :confused:
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read the plot synopsis and that was enough to put me off, they vanish and come back x number of years later and, zzzz. Haven't they already done this, never ends well for the viewer.
  • Options
    Know Your NurksKnow Your Nurks Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm quite enjoying it, but I'm worried Abrams will let it get over complicated a-la Lost & Fringe.

At the end of the day it's nothing more than another police investigation format with a quirk, and that's something I quite enjoy. So long as the explanation for the time travel doesn't become contrived.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 444
    Forum Member

So long as the explanation for the time travel doesn't become contrived.

Difficult to try and come up with any explanation for how 300 prisoners just disappear and return 50 years later.

I think it's more likely to end without any explanation and just fade away, after 20 years I'm still waiting for some vague clue as to what the X files are about:confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    I ended up downloading the entire series and:
    It is absolute rubbish. Monster of the week every week, no main plot progression Just totally lame

But Sarah Jones is my new celebrity crush :)
  • Options
    zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So you've watched the whole series and saw ZERO main plot progression ?! - that's a same cos I saw a whole bunch.
  • Options
    T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me, the Warden and the Flasbacks to the 60s are the only interesting things about the show. I just don't find the present day action and main characters interesting at all. Too formulaic and dull IMHO - It relies too much on the prisoner of the week format and doesn't branch out enough to add some scope/ambition.

The fact that we don't learn much about the central mystery of the show doesn't help either (I'd say we only learn 2 or 3 things about the mysteries at Alcatraz, the rest are hints). I mean I'm not saying they should reveal all the answers in Season 1, but come on, you gotta give the viewers more than that IMHO.

I can't help thinking that FOX insisted on the show not being too serialized and forced JJ Abrams to make it more procedural in order to attract the casual viewers as well as the hardcore fans. Out of all his sci-fi shows - Alcatraz is the least serialized one.
  • Options
    AxeVictimAxeVictim Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seen the first episodes doubt I will continue to watch.
    It's another baddie every week and drip fed info on how they are returning after 50 years.I might come back to it if it gets to season 3.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    zwixxx wrote: »
    So you've watched the whole series and saw ZERO main plot progression ?! - that's a same cos I saw a whole bunch.

ok, fair enough there was a bit, but not nearly as much as there should have been.
    We still know absolutely nothing about how or why they have time travelled which is the entire basis of the series.
    The season ender of seeing 200+ people out there what were the producers thinking? Were they planning a second series with the same "monster of the week" premise?

I just believe that once you get past episode 4 or 5 it became a real chore to watch.