Forum Member
    Arthur Christmas (2011) 8/10
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    [REC]³ Genesis [2012]. Director: Paco Plaza

5/10

The director gives up on the videocam gimmick after 20 minutes and the rest of the movie is played for laughs. A lame entry in the franchise.
  • Options
    scorpionatthepcscorpionatthepc Posts: 5,378
    Forum Member
    Little shop of horrors (1986).

Wish they kept the original ending.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Senna

If, like me, you thought F1 was just vain men in impractical cars driving in circles, then prepare to be knocked sideways. Fantastic. 10/10

Compliance

Disturbing true life drama highlighting just how easily authority can manipulate, even when it's assumed. As much as you could blame the subjects for their kowtowing, it's the evil of power that lingers underneath that sticks with you. 7.5/10

Body Heat

Steamy 80s noir with William Hurt and Kathleen Turner both on cracking form. It's aged somewhat, and perhaps lacks real edge, but still much to enjoy. And - Dear Lord - young Mickey Rourke. 7/10

Black Death

Interesting historical plague-horror-drama with many a biblical quandary. Draws you in after a wobbly start, and Sean Bean and co. go at it with some gusto. Shame the often horrible flat cinematography lets it down, but a curio worth finding. 6.5/10
  • Options
    bingbongbingbong Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wolf Creek - Not something i would normally watch but i thought i would live dangerously. The victims were incredibly irritating and had me cheering on the psycopath, would have made a great black comedy this one, i stopped watching after about an hour. Whatever/10

Captain Phillips - Nice ship photography and a good performance by Tom Hanks balanced by the hysterical drug fueled pirates ( they are the real victims in all this you know ). Didn't grab my attention as much as it should have done and there are only so many minutes of hysteria i can take. 6/10

White House Down - Fairly basic thriller with a 1970s conspiracy theory plot, nasty military industrial complex. It looks as if a bit of money was spent on effects the downside of which meant they could only afford Jaime Foxx. 6/10
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    Dazed & Confused. 9/10
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chastity Bites 2/10

and I'm being inordinately generous there, because I like the lead in the film, from Warehouse13.

Interesting to see that one from Fame Academy, playing a kind of cut-price Jamie Murray type-role.

All very odd.
  • Options
    necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bullet to the Head - Boring boring boring ^_^

3/10
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UPSIDE DOWN - 9/10

visually stunning, and a nice simply love story behind it
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gravity
    Visually stunning and I was actually quite impressed by the use of 3D here, sadly the script potential was wasted and the dialogue was boring and cheesy. The parts of the film where it was Sandra Bullock on her own seemed to drag - she's not a good actress imo. George Clooney - whilst not the best actor in the world - was the best bit about the film imo. Has to be said it was good to see a space film/sci-fi film where there were no aliens present, it made a nice change. 6/10.

Carrie (2013 Version)
    Pretty good film I thought. Looked good and was truthful to the original source. The characters (even Carrie) didn't feel developed enough though and I felt the film could have been a bit longer and the story developed more. That being said it looked great and Chloe Grace Moretz was brilliant in the lead - yet again she proves what an amazing young actress she is and steals the entire film. 8/10.

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
    Massive improvement over the shoddy first film. The adaption of the plot (including dropping some elements and adding others) works well, the story is tighter and the characters are developed more as is the lifestyle/dystopia outside the games (by far the most interesting element of the plot). Again the film looks great and certainly looks more high-budget. The directing is also brilliant, Jennifer Lawerence steals the entire show again even though there are some well-known, capable actresses and actors in there. That being said, at over 140 mins it is bum-numbingly long for what it is, its the least interesting of the books being adapted, Peeta is still a great bore and Josh Hutcherson is incredibly wooden actor. That being said, this was better than I thought and much, much better than the teeny wheeny first film. 7/10.

Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues
    The film was pretty funny in places and stupid or immature in others. Parts of the funny are questionable, but it works for what it is. The first is still the best though. The actors play it all for laughs again, the tone/setting is brilliant and the soundtrack is good, but that being said some of the humour is questionable and the story and direction aren't up to much. A decent sequel, perhaps one that wasn't necessarily needed(?)but not an amazing stand out film. 6/10.
  • Options
    KathyFan12KathyFan12 Posts: 421
    Forum Member
    White Christmas (1954) 10/10
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just finished watching Magic, from 1978, starring Anthony Hopkins as an unstable ventriloquist, whose dummy appears to have developed a mind of his own. Brilliant film, which I've just seen again on YouTube.

Just starting Scanners, which I've not seen for years, and which I've also found on YouTube. Amazing what you get on there these days.
  • Options
    JackassfanJackassfan Posts: 3,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blue Is The Warmest Color (La vie d'Adele) (2013) 8.5/10
    Rush (2013) 7.5/10
  • Options
    JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    The Wolverine. It's pretty damn good (I think so anyway)
  • Options
    TiwttmosTiwttmos Posts: 2,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Final Destination 5. 7/10. I like these movies, makes you think about time. How leaving the house a few second early, or later can have huge consequences.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christmas with a Capital C , 5
    Stealing Christmas 2003 , 5
    12 Wishes of Christmas , 4
    The Call of the Wild: Dog of the Yukon 1997 , 6
    The Case for Christmas 2011 , 4
  • Options
    TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don Jon..Ok but nothing special 6/10
  • Options
    revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wolverine

Oh dear. There's not much praise I can give this, sadly. Seemed to be totally aimed at teenagers. Every Japanese cliché was thrown in, the fight scenes were ludicrous, particularly the train scene, so bad in fact it had me laughing throughout. The whole movie was drenched in cgi, and to make matters worse Wolverine just spends the majority of the movie dreaming of Jean or getting his ass kicked repeatedly. The less said about the final boss battle the better. In fact, boss battle seems a good description, as this was like watching a bad series of "cut" scenes from a x-box game. Horrible.

3/10
  • Options
    JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    revolver44 wrote: »
    The Wolverine

Oh dear. There's not much praise I can give this, sadly. Seemed to be totally aimed at teenagers. Every Japanese cliché was thrown in, the fight scenes were ludicrous, particularly the train scene, so bad in fact it had me laughing throughout. The whole movie was drenched in cgi, and to make matters worse Wolverine just spends the majority of the movie dreaming of Jean or getting his ass kicked repeatedly. The less said about the final boss battle the better. In fact, boss battle seems a good description, as this was like watching a bad series of "cut" scenes from a x-box game. Horrible.

3/10

Yes I admit the train fight was far fetched but still not bad I suppose (had more time to reflect and wasn't as good as I thought)
  • Options
    Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scrooge - A Christmas Carol (1951)

Good film - not as great as I remembered but it's still a must watch during the Christmas seasaon. Alastair Sim was excellent in the role as scrooge.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Senna

If, like me, you thought F1 was just vain men in impractical cars driving in circles, then prepare to be knocked sideways. Fantastic. 10/10

It won a 10/10 from me, too. One of best documentaries around.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just finished watching Magic, from 1978, starring Anthony Hopkins as an unstable ventriloquist, whose dummy appears to have developed a mind of his own. Brilliant film, which I've just seen again on YouTube.

Forgot to give it a mark. 9/10.
  • Options
    SalfordPrincessSalfordPrincess Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    Another vote for SENNA here too,and im not even into racing but it was excellent and very emotional
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TOMORROW WHEN THE WAR CAME - 9half/10

excellent and perky "anti war" movie when an unnamed country invades australia, and a group of teens, who went camping when it happened ..... fight back against them!

terrific performances from everyone all round, but for the lead actress CAITLIN STACY, she is enormous in the role .....

and if anyone want's an actress in the next couple of years, to play a young LARA CROFT, they better have her number on speed dial because she is an absolute spit of the character in the rebooted game!

much better than THE DARKEST HOUR that i saw earlier, and want to see more of their characters than that dull sci fi movie, so let's hope the two sequels get made!
  • Options
    DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    jenzie wrote: »
    TOMORROW WHEN THE WAR CAME - 9half/10

excellent and perky "anti war" movie when an unnamed country invades australia, and a group of teens, who went camping when it happened ..... fight back against them!

terrific performances from everyone all round, but for the lead actress CAITLIN STACY, she is enormous in the role .....

and if anyone want's an actress in the next couple of years, to play a young LARA CROFT, they better have her number on speed dial because she is an absolute spit of the character in the rebooted game!

much better than THE DARKEST HOUR that i saw earlier, and want to see more of their characters than that dull sci fi movie, so let's hope the two sequels get made!

Looks good from the reviews, will check this out!
This discussion has been closed.