The difference between 40meg and 80meg broadband

SkyPlatinumSkyPlatinum Posts: 871
Forum Member
✭✭
Is there any point in upgrading between up to 40 and up to 80? What are the actual benefits ? For example I have sky on demand and with upto 40 product a HD film starts immediately. If I download a song it's a couple of seconds. I stream netflix in HD perfectly, I browse at lightning speed. I don't use torrents, so what other benefits would I have ?

Comments

• d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,515
    Forum Member
    With Sky probably not much for most of the time unless you are part of a household with say 4 or more regular Internet users. It's more a case of being nice to have - just in case...

With BT, the 40 meg package has a 40GB usage limit but the 80 meg package is essentially unlimited so usage level comes into the equation.
  • SkyPlatinumSkyPlatinum Posts: 871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's my thinking Dave. To be fair, quite often my wife is on the Internet working, I am on the iPad. My daughter is watching netflix on the other iPad. I am watching netflix on Apple TV (HD) and I can still download a sky demand film (HD) in seconds !
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im on infinity so i cant speak for sky but the biggest benefit for us moving to 80Mbit was the increase in upload speed. With 4 in the house an upload of 2.2MB/s means people can still upload to youtube or photos to flickr with good speed and with no impact on what other members in the house are doing (online gaming for example).
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there any point in upgrading between up to 40 and up to 80? What are the actual benefits ? For example I have sky on demand and with upto 40 product a HD film starts immediately. If I download a song it's a couple of seconds. I stream netflix in HD perfectly, I browse at lightning speed. I don't use torrents, so what other benefits would I have ?

Being able to download BIG files quicker. You won't see much difference with what you've mentioned above, I don't think.
  • HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    That's my thinking Dave. To be fair, quite often my wife is on the Internet working, I am on the iPad. My daughter is watching netflix on the other iPad. I am watching netflix on Apple TV (HD) and I can still download a sky demand film (HD) in seconds !

God, now wonder the people in this country are getting obese! Little or no exercise it seems. ;)

I also notice that practically no one in my street goes outside and sweeps all the rubbish off their bit of pavement outside their houses any more or their driveways (if they have one). Now I see why if everyone is indoors! :(
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HHGTTG wrote: »
    God, now wonder the people in this country are getting obese! Little or no exercise it seems. ;)

I also notice that practically no one in my street goes outside and sweeps all the rubbish off their bit of pavement outside their houses any more or their driveways (if they have one). Now I see why if everyone is indoors! :(

Or they are playing on their X-box/Ps3 most of the time.
    I don't see kids outside playing these days, they stay indoors.

I used to be out a lot even when I had electronic toys, I played with them in the garden. Ok, you can't really take a Ps3 into the garden.

just the way it is now.
  • HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    Or they are playing on their X-box/Ps3 most of the time.
    I don't see kids outside playing these days, they stay indoors.

I used to be out a lot even when I had electronic toys, I played with them in the garden. Ok, you can't really take a Ps3 into the garden.

just the way it is now.

Well, I don't mind really but when I walk around my suburban area I am appalled at the state of people's gardens and general low maintenance levels all for the sake of a few hours of work a month. A very poor reflection on lazy modern day society.
    I don't want to live in or nearby a shithole.