Options

Pretty in pink?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 456
Forum Member
It's pretty epic for a classic. molly ringwald is sensational and the storyline is both interesting and captivating. Could watch this film a thousand times. ;)

What seals the deal for me, is the fantastic performance by Jon Cryer, as the socially inept Duckie, who has always loved the girl, and is prepared to sacrifice everything for her happiness. His mimed performance of Otis Redding's `Try a little tenderness', across the floor of a record shop, is one of my favourite moments in cinema.

Thoughts?:)

Comments

• Options
    dont_be_hastydont_be_hasty Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    What seals the deal for me, is the fantastic performance by Jon Cryer, as the socially inept Duckie, who has always loved the girl, and is prepared to sacrifice everything for her happiness. His mimed performance of Otis Redding's `Try a little tenderness', across the floor of a record shop, is one of my favourite moments in cinema.

I was only born the year the movie came out, but i love it. Came across this movie on TV about 10 years ago.

Duckie miming / dancing to 'Try A Little Tenderness' is my favourite part of the movie too.
  • Options
    fayebeatlefayebeatle Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty in pink is one of my favourite films. Great soundtrack. Love Molly Ringwald and Jon Cryer. I will quote lines from this film forever. 'Lets plough'! 'Do I offend?' :D
    It's a sad film, Harry dean stanton as her dad is fab.
    I am going to find the DVD downstairs and watch it this afternoon.:)
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    What a soundtrack too.
  • Options
    chloedancerchloedancer Posts: 6,486
    Forum Member
    great movie
  • Options
    Cheap ThrillsCheap Thrills Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    Great film and soundtrack.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's pretty epic for a classic. molly ringwald is sensational and the storyline is both interesting and captivating. Could watch this film a thousand times. ;)

I saw this film at a special preview in Soho way back in the 1980's after getting free tickets off Tony Blackburns Radio London show! Yes, he attended too! Show's my age! I was too young to appreciate the film really - thought it was boring.
  • Options
    Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw it when it first came out and loved it up to the point where
    Andie rejected Duckie in favour of Blane, at which point it totally lost me... when t'internet came long, I found out that the original ending had Andie and Duckie ending up together; but test audiences didn't like it, so it was re-shot, which made me feel even worse about it!
  • Options
    AngiBearAngiBear Posts: 2,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fantastic film OP. I love the end scene with OMD playing If you leave. I pretty much love everything about the 80s but John Hughes' films and the 80s music playing them just make all his films so watchable. Although Hughes didn't direct this one he did write it. You should also watch The Breakfast Club, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Some Kind of Wonderful, Sixteen Candles and the amazing Weird Science.
  • Options
    JenzenJenzen Posts: 7,364
    Forum Member
    Great movie, one of John Hughes best. The lesser known Some Kind of Wonderful is slightly better imo.
    I cannot hear OMD's If You Leave without thinking of this film :)
  • Options
    Forum Member

I remember being really upset that she did not chose Duckie. I must have been 12 when I first saw it, it broke my adolescent heart for poor Duckie :(
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw it when it first came out and loved it up to the point where
    Andie rejected Duckie in favour of Blane, at which point it totally lost me... when t'internet came long, I found out that the original ending had Andie and Duckie ending up together; but test audiences didn't like it, so it was re-shot, which made me feel even worse about it!

I expected Andie to end up with Duckie, so I was a tad surprised when she went with Bland. I think some in the audience were surprised as well. I remember one shouted, "HIM?! What the bleeding hell?!" :D

Edited:
    I was only born the year the movie came out, but i love it. Came across this movie on TV about 10 years ago.

:cry:

Time can be such a harsh thing.
  • Options
    AngiBearAngiBear Posts: 2,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jenzen wrote: »
    Great movie, one of John Hughes best. The lesser known Some Kind of Wonderful is slightly better imo.
    I cannot hear OMD's If You Leave without thinking of this film :)

I love that 80s songs make you think of the films they are attached to though. I don't get that feeling now with modern films!

OMD - If you leave (Pretty in Pink)
    Simple Minds - Don't you forget about me (Breakfast Club)
    Ray Parker Jr - Ghostbusters (Ghostbusters)
    John Parr - St Elmos Fire (St Elmos Fire)
    Huey Lewis - Power of love (Back to the future)
    Thompson Twins - If you were here (Sixteen Candles)
    Kenny Loggins - Footloose (Footloose)
    Berlin - Take my breath away (Top Gun)
    Irene Cara - Flashdance (Flashdance)
    Glenn Fry - The heat is on (Beverley Hills Cop)
    Oingo Boingo - Weird Science (Weird Science)
    Ollie & Jerry - Breakin'...There's No Stopping Us (Breakin')
    Blues Brothers - Everybody Needs Somebody to Love (Blues Brothers)
    Night Ranger - Secret of my success (Secret of my success)
    Bananarama - Cruel Summer (The Karate Kid)
    Starship - Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now (Mannequin)
    Joe Cocker & Jennifer Warnes - Up Where We Belong (An Officer and a Gentleman)
    Peter Cetera - Glory of Love (The Karate Kid Part II)
    Survivor - Eye of the Tiger (Rocky III)

The OP's post now has me thinking of loads more.........:D
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    :)

Which was where Hughes used the original ending for Pretty In Pink, i.e. the protagonist and the best friend get together, rather than the supposed dream partner.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    AngiBear wrote: »
    I love that 80s songs make you think of the films they are attached to though. I don't get that feeling now with modern films!

Ray Parker Jr - Ghostbusters (Ghostbusters).....
    Funny. You cannot underestimate just how loathed the promo-hit tie-in genre was at the time. Deeply, deeply hated.

Nostalgia aside, it proves a useful barometer of how things have changed. Apart from Bond themes they've surely all but vanished, but remain fondly recalled. No wonder you don't get that feeling any more.

I suppose it's because where once the film industry and record industry could trade off each other, the film industry doesn't really need to any more. That and the record industry in its death throes of course.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Which was where Hughes used the original ending for Pretty In Pink, i.e. the protagonist and the best friend get together, rather than the supposed dream partner.

Yes.. pity he was pressured into changing it.

Found this on wiki about the alternate ending:
    The film was adapted into a novel, written by H. B. Gilmour and Randi Reisfield and released in 1986. It was published by Bantam Books. The book was written before the last scene was changed, so it has the original ending, in which Andie picks Duckie over Blane.

Tempted to have a look for that book :)
  • Options
    mandead88mandead88 Posts: 2,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my favourite films. John Hughes made some great stuff, and of course he gave the world some of John Candy's best stuff. PT&A is one of the most perfect comedies ever made IMO - one of the few films in which Steve Martin is even bearable, let alone really good.

RIP both of 'em.
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mandead88 wrote: »
    One of my favourite films. John Hughes made some great stuff, and of course he gave the world some of John Candy's best stuff. PT&A is one of the most perfect comedies ever made IMO - one of the few films in which Steve Martin is even bearable, let alone really good.

RIP both of 'em.
    I have a huge fondness for Uncle Buck and his massive pancake :D
  • Options
    HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aaah my era. I loved those films, not all John Hughes, but just that era of films for me, loved it.

Some Kind of Wonderful
    Breakfast Club
    Sixteen Candles
    Pretty in Pink
    St Elmos Fire
    Ferris Bueller
    The Lost Boys
    Uncle Buck

*sighs*
  • Options
    Madonna38Madonna38 Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love this film. I wasn't born until 92 but I grew up kind of obsessed with the 80s. :o 80s music, films....fashion. Love it all. Pretty in Pink and the breakfast club are two of my favourite films.

Off to have an 80s movie afternoon while I do uni work I think. :o:D
  • Options
    julie2009julie2009 Posts: 4,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember being really upset that she did not chose Duckie. I must have been 12 when I first saw it, it broke my adolescent heart for poor Duckie :(

I was around 14/15 but Top Gun was also released at the same time so everyone I knew were queuing up to watch this but we decided to watch Pretty in Pink instead.
  • Options
    BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    It's a great movie, Hughes at the top of his game. As others have said though, personally I preferred Some Kind of Wonderful myself. There's not much to choose between them until the final scenes. SKoW seemed more natural.

Oh, and well overdue a fooking BD release......
  • Options
    GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really can't get on with this film, which is odd cause I love The Breakfast Club and St Elmo's Fire. I think part of my massive problem with PIP is the fugly dress she makes. It so does not deliver!
  • Options
    ErlangErlang Posts: 6,619
    Forum Member
    AngiBear wrote: »

Ray Parker Jr - Ghostbusters (Ghostbusters)
    John Parr - St Elmos Fire (St Elmos Fire)
    Huey Lewis - Power of love (Back to the future)
    Thompson Twins - If you were here (Sixteen Candles)
    Kenny Loggins - Footloose (Footloose)
    Berlin - Take my breath away (Top Gun)
    Irene Cara - Flashdance (Flashdance)
    Glenn Fry - The heat is on (Beverley Hills Cop)
    Oingo Boingo - Weird Science (Weird Science)
    Ollie & Jerry - Breakin'...There's No Stopping Us (Breakin')
    Blues Brothers - Everybody Needs Somebody to Love (Blues Brothers)
    Night Ranger - Secret of my success (Secret of my success)
    Bananarama - Cruel Summer (The Karate Kid)
    Starship - Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now (Mannequin)
    Joe Cocker & Jennifer Warnes - Up Where We Belong (An Officer and a Gentleman)
    Peter Cetera - Glory of Love (The Karate Kid Part II)
    Survivor - Eye of the Tiger (Rocky III)

The OP's post now has me thinking of loads more.........:D

Phil Oakey and Giorgio Moroder - Together in Electric Dreams (Electric Dreams)