H&A is the worst soap for gays

13»

Comments

• stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    Neighbours at least is recognising Gay characters but H & A still has a long way to go with this.

Christopher Fletcher is gay. Just a shame they didn't bring him back.
  • jude007jude007 Posts: 2,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could be wrong (I often am) but was there not something about some Parent's Group that kinda of decide what can be showed and because H & A is on at a time in Oz when the poor kids could be influence by what they see.

It does sound a bit strange as they dont seem to have a problem with the endless sleeping around and the young ones finding their true love one moment and then moving on to the next in a matter of weeks. Also what about the endless pupils being seduced by teachers!! Now many stories have they done about that and
    another one with Matt is happening in Oz at the moment
    . Lets not also forget the endless pregnancy scares that they have. You would think they had never heard of contraceptive!!
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,258
    Forum Member
    Mjtaylor92 wrote: »
    The idea that a small seaside town wouldn't have many gay people living in it is perhaps true but very easily curbed-they could have a career specific to Summer Bay like fishing or be introduced as a relative of a pre-existing character or heaven forbid actually as a teenager in foster care!

I understand the concern over tokenism but for a near 30 year old soap to have never properly explored this treasure trove of storylines especially when it's original USP was kids coming of age is indicative of some very conservative thinking.

This is an excellent well thought out comment, completely agree.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,258
    Forum Member
    All I can think of is home and away must have a more conservative Australian fan base >:(

Cross out fan base and put in network.
  • FingersAndToesFingersAndToes Posts: 9,956
    Forum Member
    I'm sure I remember a gay storyline only a few years ago. And so what if one soap is more conservative than another? Do you think all soaps should simply cater to your views?

Soaps should cater to all audiences. I wonder how come fans would be fine with murderous career criminals, cheating, swapping partners, but introducing gay characters would be somehow horrible.

Right now Bold and Beautiful in the US are airing a well written transgender sl snd a romance, and the ratings are actually high.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    H&A is the worst for all minorities. There aren't any. And yes, every show should have lgbt characters and minority characters, that's just normal life.

I agree. It's shockingly bad to be honest.
  • H.MH.M Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    I doubt Home and Away's location could be used as a justification for the lack of gay characters. While there would statistically be less gay people in regional towns when compared to Sydney, it's not like gay people are non-existent outside of the major cities. And H&A is far from a realistic portrayal of a NSW costal town. So suddenly claiming that they have no gay characters because it doesn't reflect reality makes no sense.
  • vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jude007 wrote: »
    I could be wrong (I often am) but was there not something about some Parent's Group that kinda of decide what can be showed and because H & A is on at a time in Oz when the poor kids could be influence by what they see.

It does sound a bit strange as they dont seem to have a problem with the endless sleeping around and the young ones finding their true love one moment and then moving on to the next in a matter of weeks. Also what about the endless pupils being seduced by teachers!! Now many stories have they done about that and
    . Lets not also forget the endless pregnancy scares that they have. You would think they had never heard of contraceptive!!

Neighbours is on at 7pm on 11 and has two gay characters, what's H & A problem> or is it Network 7?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neighbours is on at 7pm on 11 and has two gay characters, what's H & A problem> or is it Network 7?

Is Neighbours not on a Digital Channel and that is now they get away with it.

I do find it really confusing that they wont have any gays, but are happy to show continously sleeping around and dear forbid that one of the young and beautiful should be without a partner for anymore than a day
    Forum Member

The Australian classification system makes no distinction between heterosexual and homosexual relationships. Anything that can be done by straight couples can be replicated by gay or lesbian couples on the same show.

Neighbours airs @ 6.30pm. H&A airs at 7pm.
    Forum Member
    Is Neighbours not on a Digital Channel and that is now they get away with it.

Neighbours on digital has the same classification as it has on Ten. They have the same guidelines as they had before.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    H.M wrote: »
    The Australian classification system makes no distinction between heterosexual and homosexual relationships. Anything that can be done by straight couples can be replicated by gay or lesbian couples on the same show.

Neighbours airs @ 6.30pm. H&A airs at 7pm.

So basically there is nothing stopping H & A introducing a Gay Character!!

I know that not every soap has to have the token Gay character, but you would they would at least explore it.

I know that there was a story with Charlie the policewoman, but that was done to badly that it should be blocked from everyone mind.
  • MelSingletonMelSingleton Posts: 1,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    H.M wrote: »
    Neighbours on digital has the same classification as it has on Ten. They have the same guidelines as they had before.

Yes Neighbours continues to be rated G (General).

Home and Away, on the other hand, has a less restrictive rating, PG (Parental Guidance).