What sexuality is the Doctor?

2»

Comments

• daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heterosexual, from the evidence thus far.

This is very much my viewpoint.

You think of his mini-romance in The Aztecs. He got 'engaged' there.

Then there's Jo Grant, whom I always suspected the Third Doctor had a thing for her. There were certain scenes where the pair of them got a bit too chummy at times.

In The Green Death, there were moments when he showed moments of jealousy when he pulled Professor Jones away for a chat when she wanted to spend some time alone with him. His reaction to her getting married and those last few moments at the end where he said goodbye was a great example of showing and not telling and I think he held her in deep affection.

Add in what's happened in the New Series with Rose I'd say that's enough to say he is heterosexual though he's hardly likely to kick off if some bloke kisses him on the lips because it's in keeping with the character that he's not judgmental or intolerant.

It's a shame in some ways that the New Series went down this route of making The Doctor more susceptible to romance than he had ever been in Classic Who. As Sylvester McCoy mentioned in the 50th documentary, he went 26 years without a snog, why did he have to start now? Guess that's down to the modern audience and the world we live in.

I didn't have any problems with The Doctor/Rose romance but in some ways I miss The Doctor being above all that sort of thing and just doing what he does best in saving people, planets and universes and leaving any possible romantic feelings implied rather than explicitly stated.

:)
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brouhaha wrote: »
    Oh dear, I've a funny feeling we've been here before. The thing about cans of worms is they're best left unopened. Threads like this rarely end well. I'm off somewhere safer.

Probably very wise.

Conjecture and debate is fine but, for me, it just doesn't matter very much, and whilst it is a family friendly adventure in space and time, I just can't see how pursuing the sexual side of the Doctor would work, really. I admit that I was more convinced by, say, the relationship between the Doctor and River rather than the Doctor and Rose, but the programme, whilst flirting with sexuality a lot more than C20 Who, has never, um, gone further than that. And don't see what would be achieved if it did.

In short, I'm not bothered what he gets up to. Just don't want to see it explicitly addressed in an episode! :D
  • chattswhochattswho Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    One thing i have never understood about the doctor is although we have seen his grand-daughter, we have never seen or heard of any children who obviously would have been the parents of susan. Apologies if this has been raised before.
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    So should we consider the Doctor to be an absent father ? Did his family who he abandoned and deserted have to live on benefits ? What sort of a role model is he !:)