How to properly cook rice?

BillyBattyBillyBatty Posts: 7,004
Forum Member
What is the best way of cooking white rice (basmati) so that it doesnt go too hard or sticky or end up sticking to the pan?
Frying pan or sauce pan, boil or simmer?

Cheers.

Comments

• jojo01jojo01 Posts: 12,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use double the volume of water, bring it to the boil and then cover and simmer on the lowest heat for around 17 minutes, turn off the heat, put a tea towel between the pan and lid, and leave for another 10 mins. Perfect rice!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1 cup of rice. 1 & 1/2 cups of water. All in a pan. Boil then simmer with a lid on until all the water has gone. And don't fanny around with it at all. And rinse the rice before you cook it too.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I use a small non stick frying pan with lid.

I use double the amount of water.
    Heat the pan and add a little oil (optional). Add the rice and stir for a few seconds. Add boiling water and bring to back the boil then turn to lowest setting and cook until the water has evapourated.

This works great for 1 or 2 portions. For a big batch I would use a heavy based sauce pan.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,916
    Forum Member
    I rinse it well. Then use a big pan of boiling salted water uncovered. Then rinse in a seive with boiling water once it#'s cooked
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rossall wrote: »
    I rinse it well. Then use a big pan of boiling salted water uncovered. Then rinse in a seive with boiling water once it#'s cooked

That's my way too, the boiling water washes off all the starch that can turn it into a big gloopy mess!
  • crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buy a rice cooker. All your rice problems sorted.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just cooked some for egg fried rice. Perfect :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's my way too, the boiling water washes off all the starch that can turn it into a big gloopy mess!

If you rinse it thoroughly enough in cold water before you cook it, no need to rinse after :)
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    orangebird wrote: »
    If you rinse it thoroughly enough in cold water before you cook it, no need to rinse after :)

Mine still seems to need washing afterwards as well as before!
  • GlomperGlomper Posts: 3,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Basmati rice does not need washing before use, Long Grain rice requires several rinses to remove starch.

I use half a cup of rice per person, plus half a cup of water.

Microwave covered loosely for 3 mins high, then 8 mins low.

Perfect, non sticky rice.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Glomper wrote: »
    Basmati rice does not need washing before use, Long Grain rice requires several rinses to remove starch.

I use half a cup of rice per person, plus half a cup of water.

Microwave covered loosely for 3 mins high, then 8 mins low.

Perfect, non sticky rice.
    When I microwave rice I find it needs 3x the amount of water to rice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    I put my egg timer on to time the rice, then i pour boiling water from kettle over it once i drained it..Works every time :)
  • queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For 1 cup of basmati rice, I rinse about 3-4 times. Then add 1 tsp of salt with about 3 cups of water.

Boil, then drain when cooked.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,485
    Forum Member
    Invest in a rice cooker. They are dirt cheap and give you perfect rice, *every* time.although you have to add the right amount of water
  • adskadsk Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    I use orangebird's method. Having read this http://bit.ly/lsoWK3 at some length I now soak the rice in cold water for an hour before cooking. It's fantastic!
  • boozer3boozer3 Posts: 2,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use double the amount of water to rice in a lidded casserole type pot and braise it in the oven for about 20/25 minutes. Much drier and fluffier than on the hob.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    used to cook basmati rice 3 or 4 times a week. Always soak for 30 minutes in cold water then rinse. Boil 2x the amount of water, add some salt, add tice to boiling water and cook until all the water is gone, do not stir during cooking process. Take it off the heat and coverwith tea towel for 5 minutes. Perfect rice every time.

You may need to slightly vary the amount of water as different brands and age of rice require slight variances in ratio of water but 2:1 is a good starting point.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bring to boil and stir once ONLY.

Otherwise it's glue.
  • suki csuki c Posts: 6,088
    Forum Member
    Rossall wrote: »

I used to do that & it works fairly well but I find that the rinsing makes it lose some of the wonderful flavour that basmati rice has.

What I do now is soak the rice for at least 10 mins and then rinse till the water runs clear (I do this in the saucepan - just keep tipping out the excess).

Then, however much rice I've used, I put water in so it comes up to the first joint of my index finger. Add salt, bring the pan to the boil and immediately turn to the lowest simmer. Cover with a lid with a couple of layers of kitchen towel between the lid and pan.

Leave alone for 10 mins - if you have peek you should see the rice looking cooked and with holes all over the surface. Now just leave it still tightly covered for another 10-15 mins - perfection :)

For egg fried rice - leave it to go completely cold before frying.

For perfect pilau rice - fry some finely sliced onions and spices (crushed cardamon pods, cinnamon stick, cumin seeds etc) in a mix of oil & butter.

When the onion is nicely golden, add some turmeric to just one half of the pan and cook for a few mins. Tip in the cooked rice and gently fold it into the spices so that the turmeric doesn't colour it all - if that makes sense.

I've tried following recipes where the rice and spices are all cooked together and this method works so much better!