How long before a debt cannot legally be chased?

2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
Forum Member
Does anyone know if a past debt can still be chased after ten years if there have been no payments since then and very little contact? Ten years ago I had a couple of debts that I was unable to pay.they were under my name but were run up together with an ex who refused to help me pay. I moved a year after I stoped paying and recently have had them chasing me for this debt. They have been to the door but my husband panicked and said he didnt know the name he was chasing.:o

I just wondered as it is so long since they contacted me or I had paid them anything, if legally I would have to pay if the worst came to the worst? I cannot afford to give them anything as we have debt problems that are new.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that.
    Forum Member
    It says there "Out of the blue a letter arrives from the original creditor or debt collection agency asking you to make a payment."

I wonder if they sell the debt on if the 6 years still counts? if this is a new debt collector and not the original that chased me, can the time be reset I wonder?He left no name or company name.Just said he was looking for me
  • BrunoStreeteBrunoStreete Posts: 7,180
    Forum Member
    Don't admit the debt whatever you do. If you acknowledge it then the statute isn't valid any more.
  • jkwellyjkwelly Posts: 776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't admit the debt whatever you do. If you acknowledge it then the statute isn't valid any more.

Not quite true, Once it becomes statute barred nothing can un bar it, You could even send them a penny and tell them that is all you will pay and there is nothing they can do,

Wouldn't suggest sending them anything though.
    Forum Member
    Is it automatically statute barred after 6 years? or do I have to do anything?

10 years seems a long time for them to start looking for the debt, i just wondered if the debt had perhaps been sold and if it puts it back to day one again.
  • m4tt24m4tt24 Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The debt is statute barred unless a CCJ was issued for the debt.
    Forum Member
    Thats great, there was no CCJ, thanks all for your help.