Scottish Fitba Thread (Part 22)

Comments

• farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done Dumbarton on reaching the last 8 :-)
    Good day out in Alloa, 500+ fans travelled and a roll n Scotch Pie for £2.20 in the ground.
  • bhoy07bhoy07 Posts: 25,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sportscene lamenting the fact there will be no Celtic v Rangers cup tie this season.

Diddums, Scottish football doesn't need it.
  • Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,621
    Forum Member
    bhoy07 wrote: »
    Apart from the poor atmosphere at Murrayfield it's also a tough ask to get a rugby pitch into a pristine condition for football a week after Scotland play France.

Celtic Park as the largest football stadium in Scotland is ideal.

Fair point watched the end of the Scotland v England 6 nations game earlier & the pitch was a mud heap, suspect it'll be worse after the France game, then try & play a football game on that pitch a week later.
  • timboytimboy Posts: 30,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Out fought, out played, out of the cup.

Well done to Aberdeen and maybe just maybe the signs of a worthy challenger for the title next season.

Aberdeen were just better than Celtic all over the pitch today. When Aberdeen went 2-1 up Celtic just didn't have another gear to go into to up the pace.

After a great game last week Johansen was really poor today.
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    timboy wrote: »
    Aberdeen were just better than Celtic all over the pitch today. When Aberdeen went 2-1 up Celtic just didn't have another gear to go into to up the pace.

After a great game last week Johansen was really poor today.
    Aberdeen were more up for the game, credit to them. The fact that Flood and Robson bossed the midfield must be a worry for Lennon. Ledley is going to be a huge miss.
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    Aberdeen were more up for the game, credit to them. The fact that Flood and Robson bossed the midfield must be a worry for Lennon. Ledley is going to be a huge miss.

Celtic are a mess. They are a team full of sub-standard players. The sad thing is thats good enough to walk the league and ultimately thats all that matters.

Ive said it before, I'm not a Celtic fan but my mates were in a Celtic supporters club so i was guilty by association and this is dreadful stuff.

If you look back to the squad 10/12 years ago and compare it to now its horrific, I know its a different climate and a different footballing world but Celtic would have you believe they are upwardly mobile so why can't they sign the equivalent of Neil Lennon from a club like Leicester (that would prob be a Southampton player today) or a Chris Sutton (a reserve for a top English team)?

I know the answer before i asked the question and i know its down to money but there must be a middle ground between signing a well known PL player and signing the unknown dross that has become the norm?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    Celtic are a mess. They are a team full of sub-standard players. The sad thing is thats good enough to walk the league and ultimately thats all that matters.

Ive said it before, I'm not a Celtic fan but my mates were in a Celtic supporters club so i was guilty by association and this is dreadful stuff.

If you look back to the squad 10/12 years ago and compare it to now its horrific, I know its a different climate and a different footballing world but Celtic would have you believe they are upwardly mobile so why can't they sign the equivalent of Neil Lennon from a club like Leicester (that would prob be a Southampton player today) or a Chris Sutton (a reserve for a top English team)?

I know the answer before i asked the question and i know its down to money but there must be a middle ground between signing a well known PL player and signing the unknown dross that has become the norm?
    The club don't want to spend big on a marquee signing. Until that changes, we will continue to spend money on dross like Pukki,Balde. We do sign the odd gem like Forster,Wanyama,Hooper and Van Dik. We then sell them on for huge profit. One thing I would like Lennon to do is play the good young players that are coming through. Henderson,Fisher and Fraser should all play right till the end of the season. Drop Samaras as well, he is finished as a Celtic player.
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    The club don't want to spend big on a marquee signing. Until that changes, we will continue to spend money on dross like Pukki,Balde. We do sign the odd gem like Forster,Wanyama,Hooper and Van Dik. We then sell them on for huge profit. One thing I would like Lennon to do is play the good young players that are coming through. Henderson,Fisher and Fraser should all play right till the end of the season. Drop Samaras as well, he is finished as a Celtic player.

Celtic need a marquee signing IMO just to generate interest.

Lets be honest you could play the U12 team for the next 6 weeks and then wake up and win the league.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    Celtic need a marquee signing IMO just to generate interest.

Lets be honest you could play the U12 team for the next 6 weeks and then wake up and win the league.
    Agree. Celtic don't want to spend big on wages. Hence, why Ledley has gone. I also think we overpay players who are already here. Samaras,Brown and Kayal are vastly overpaid.
  • FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sportscene lamenting the fact there will be no Celtic v Rangers cup tie this season.

Diddums, Scottish football doesn't need it.

Are Celtic fans really not missing the Celtic vs Rangers games? To me it looks like there is a real apathy there from both fans and players and it is translating into some abject performances on the pitch for both sides of Glasgow. It looks like the Green Brigade being extinguished has dented the atmosphere and Celtic Park only looked half full like Ibrox the other night.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    farmer bob wrote: »
    Well done Dumbarton on reaching the last 8 :-)
    Good day out in Alloa, 500+ fans travelled and a roll n Scotch Pie for £2.20 in the ground.

Is Ian Murray good enough to manage at the Scottish Premiership level? When he took Dumbarton over they were almost a stick on to go down as I recall from what already is a difficult league. Now they could lay claim to be probably the best part-time team in Scotland? A favourable draw and this could turn out like A Shot at Glory. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do my eyes deceive me or did they spell Caledonian wrong in the Scottish Cup draw?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Ian Murray good enough to manage at the Scottish Premiership level? When he took Dumbarton over they were almost a stick on to go down as I recall from what already is a difficult league. Now they could lay claim to be probably the best part-time team in Scotland? A favourable draw and this could turn out like A Shot at Glory. :D

Hope Ian Murray stays with The Sons, he's transformed them. Although Dumbarton are part time he has brought a full time kind of ethos to the club, the team has lunch together before a match etc, small stuff like that. Good team spirit and excellent loan signings are paying off.
    Just need to take care of Aberdeen in the Cup now :-D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are Celtic fans really not missing the Celtic vs Rangers games? To me it looks like there is a real apathy there from both fans and players and it is translating into some abject performances on the pitch for both sides of Glasgow. It looks like the Green Brigade being extinguished has dented the atmosphere and Celtic Park only looked half full like Ibrox the other night.

Certainly not missing any of the hullabaloo that surrounds it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hope Ian Murray stays with The Sons, he's transformed them. Although Dumbarton are part time he has brought a full time kind of ethos to the club, the team has lunch together before a match etc, small stuff like that. Good team spirit and excellent loan signings are paying off.
    Just need to take care of Aberdeen in the Cup now :-D

Couldn't have asked for a tougher draw in the cup, although Aberdeen and lower league opposition in the cup usually means the omens are in your favour! I did see an interview with Ian Murray saying he has them eating pre-match meals now or recovery training and better organisation etc. Little things that mount up and I always think of you approach a game professionally you will put in a professional performance. That league for me is the most competitive in Scotland and always has been. I think I'm right in saying Dumbarton beat every team at least once last season?

The boy Chris Kane on loan from St Johnstone I'm hearing good things about. He seems to be doing a bit of a Stevie May (e.g. scoring a lot in that league), I can see Kane returning at the end of the season to replace May when he goes down south. Colin Nish as well seems to be rolling back the years. A good little honest club Dumbarton, fan owned isn't it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Certainly not missing any of the hullabaloo that surrounds it.

Yeah that was getting way, way out of hand a few years back with the postal bombs and threats and even the Hearts fan who attacked Lennon. It doesn't even look like it has stopped now though if that coin throwing incident is anything to go by. I saw an interview with Lennon and he said basically people, even on his side, are saying he can handle it as he's a 'street fighter' but they aren't the ones living it, he is. I would be well shot of all that if I were him when a job opened up in England.

Do none of the fans miss the game though? It must be a bit boring turning up with the league basically over before a ball is kicked?
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    A home semi final for rangers beckons
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    Raith Rovers v St Johnstone

Aberdeen v Dumbarton

Stranraer or Inverness v Dundee United

Rangers v Albion Rovers

Games to be played 8th/9th Match

Rangers will have a home semi if they get through

I suspect games 1,3,4 will be the TV games

Sky will probably take a likely Inverness v Dundee United first pick

Rangers BBC pick maybe for a Friday night again
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    A home semi final for rangers beckons

I think you may be right, quite an easy run so far for Rangers although didn't Gretna get quite an easy ride to the final in not playing any top flight opposition? Imagine a Rangers vs Aberdeen final at Celtic Park. Police Scotland will be calling all cars. ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree. Celtic don't want to spend big on wages. Hence, why Ledley has gone. I also think we overpay players who are already here. Samaras,Brown and Kayal are vastly overpaid.

How high a level could Scott Brown play at? What team in the English Premier League would he likely end up at?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couldn't have asked for a tougher draw in the cup, although Aberdeen and lower league opposition in the cup usually means the omens are in your favour! I did see an interview with Ian Murray saying he has them eating pre-match meals now or recovery training and better organisation etc. Little things that mount up and I always think of you approach a game professionally you will put in a professional performance. That league for me is the most competitive in Scotland and always has been. I think I'm right in saying Dumbarton beat every team at least once last season?

The boy Chris Kane on loan from St Johnstone I'm hearing good things about. He seems to be doing a bit of a Stevie May (e.g. scoring a lot in that league), I can see Kane returning at the end of the season to replace May when he goes down south. Colin Nish as well seems to be rolling back the years. A good little honest club Dumbarton, fan owned isn't it?

Good post FF.
    Yes, teams in the Championship can probably all beat each other. They've a good business strategy at Dumbarton, good Chairman too.
    Decent loan signings and shrewd transfers, I reckon the days of having the same playing squad for 5 or 6 years are long gone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good post FF.
    Yes, teams in the Championship can probably all beat each other. They've a good business strategy at Dumbarton, good Chairman too.
    Decent loan signings and shrewd transfers, I reckon the days of having the same playing squad for 5 or 6 years are long gone.

They are certainly doing something right at a community club like Dumbarton that bigger teams could learn from. I agree on the loan policy too, get in a few hungry players who want to use the league and first team football as a springboard to a place in their respective first team. Everyone is a winner then. Ian Murray and Jack Ross look to be well placed to attract some good young prospects and older heads with their contacts at a higher level. They had Craig Gordon in coaching I had read helping Ewings and Grindlay which can only be a benefit in terms of experience and exposure for a less fashionable club. I also know Paul McGinn is a quality player and to have persuaded him to join instead of signing for St Mirren was a real coup.

The Aberdeen vs Dumbarton game I would think will be a very interesting game. The attacking threat is there from Dumbarton being the Championship top scorers, but the defence is what is letting the side down which is understandable when you are mostly playing full time teams the fatigue kicks in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are certainly doing something right at a community club like Dumbarton that bigger teams could learn from. I agree on the loan policy too, get in a few hungry players who want to use the league and first team football as a springboard to a place in their respective first team. Everyone is a winner then. Ian Murray and Jack Ross look to be well placed to attract some good young prospects and older heads with their contacts at a higher level. They had Craig Gordon in coaching I had read helping Ewings and Grindlay which can only be a benefit in terms of experience and exposure for a less fashionable club. I also know Paul McGinn is a quality player and to have persuaded him to join instead of signing for St Mirren was a real coup.

The Aberdeen vs Dumbarton game I would think will be a very interesting game. The attacking threat is there from Dumbarton being the Championship top scorers, but the defence is what is letting the side down which is understandable when you are mostly playing full time teams the fatigue kicks in.

Can't disagree with any of your post FF, except defence wise, Andy Graham is prone to the odd howler.
    Last Wed v Livingston there were a dozen Managers of various clubs from Annan, Morton to St Johnstone and St Mirren, possibly watching Paul McGinn, Chris Kane etc.
    McGinn is class as is Scott Linton our other full back. I'd be bold enough to say that The Sons have the best Full Backs in the Championship :-)
    As you say though fatigue against a Full Time Aberdeen could be a problem.
    Cheers :-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah that was getting way, way out of hand a few years back with the postal bombs and threats and even the Hearts fan who attacked Lennon. It doesn't even look like it has stopped now though if that coin throwing incident is anything to go by. I saw an interview with Lennon and he said basically people, even on his side, are saying he can handle it as he's a 'street fighter' but they aren't the ones living it, he is. I would be well shot of all that if I were him when a job opened up in England.

Do none of the fans miss the game though? It must be a bit boring turning up with the league basically over before a ball is kicked?

No, what's the point where one club runs up massive losses are then are liquidated and now over 18 months in to the new 'journey' the new company is still running up massive losses.

Scottish football was to face armaggedon - if Armageddon means Celtic win the league and Aberdeen do a cup double then I'd take that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, what's the point where one club runs up massive losses are then are liquidated and now over 18 months in to the new 'journey' the new company is still running up massive losses.

Scottish football was to face armaggedon - if Armageddon means Celtic win the league and Aberdeen do a cup double then I'd take that.

Really?
    Your stadium is half empty, best players have been sold, pre-tax profits of £21m posted yet only Leigh Griffith has been purchased, no interest in Forster last transfer window. Humped out of sight in the Champions League.
    I'd have been looking to have won a domestic Treble by now, especially with Rangers not around. You must be easily pleased
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really?
    Your stadium is half empty, best players have been sold, pre-tax profits of £21m posted yet only Leigh Griffith has been purchased, no interest in Forster last transfer window. Humped out of sight in the Champions League.
    I'd have been looking to have won a domestic Treble by now, especially with Rangers not around. You must be easily pleased

Perversely the state of Scottish football right now is pleasing, number of Premiership clubs are in a better state than that of two years ago, those who refuse to balance the books are being left behind.