A Good Day To Die Hard Rated 12A By BBFC Uncut

fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
Forum Member
Your thoughts ?

Will this impact your decision to watch the movie being the first one to be rated as such. You can take a 5 year old to see it.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gutted, as said previously this once iconic franchise has been watered down a multiplex friendly epsiode of CSI or 24 in order to get bums on seats.

Gone are the days of coarse language & explicit violence we had become used to in the eighties are early nineties.
  • Nolan DeckardNolan Deckard Posts: 889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's a lame attempt by Fox at a double cash grab on a film they know is going to be critically panned.

Release the cut version in cinemas and make a good chunk of money, then fools like myself will pick up the unrated DVD/Blu Ray just to see it with a hope that there is at least something reminiscent of the original 3 Die Hards.

With The Last Stand and Bullet To The Head bombing, this boneheaded move is just another nail in the coffin of the action genre.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They have truly murdered the franchise now, still it wouldn't surprise me in the least, if the farce that was the Blu-ray UK release of The Avengers, that other countries get an uncut version of DH5.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    fhs man 2 wrote: »
    Your thoughts ?

Will this impact your decision to watch the movie being the first one to be rated as such. You can take a 5 year old to see it.

It is cut:
    BBFC wrote:
    Precuts information - During post-production, the distributor sought and was given advice on how to secure the desired classification. Following this advice, certain changes were made prior to submission

Lame:mad: No wonder they've taken so long to release the rating...
  • fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    If this film fails, Bruce's dream of a 6th a final film will be over.

What happened to the days when the BBFC used to give their own opinion like Gremlins they were going to cut that to receive a PG rating instead of a 15 rating but they managed to get the company to make no cuts and release it as a 15.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    No surprise really, studios only care about cash, creative integrity went out the window a long time ago. Taken 2 is a prime example of this. The original Die Hards are great because of their brutal unflinching violent action scenes. A watered down Die Hard experience is just not for me.

Reading the early reviews the film sounds rubbish anyway but since when has it been acceptable to have 4x F words in a 12A. Just shows how society is slowly slipping into the gutter with it's ever increasing drop in standards. No problem with 12 year olds hearing f-bombs but it's the dumb parents that will take 6 year old Johnny to see it that worries me.

As cinema goers it's time we took a stand against this whole 12A BS situation. The trouble is the usual drones will still hand over their hard earned cash to see this even if the reviews are bad. It will make a stack of money so it's pretty much guaranteed Die Hard 6 will also be a 12A affair.
    Forum Member
    dbob wrote: »
    No surprise really, studios only care about cash, creative integrity went out the window a long time ago. Taken 2 is a prime example of this. The original Die Hards are great because of their brutal unflinching violent action scenes. A watered down Die Hard experience is just not for me.

Reading the early reviews the film sounds rubbish anyway but since when has it been acceptable to have 4x F words in a 12A. Just shows how society is slowly slipping into the gutter with it's ever increasing drop in standards. No problem with 12 year olds hearing f-bombs but it's the dumb parents that will take 6 year old Johnny to see it that worries me.

As cinema goers it's time we took a stand against this whole 12A BS situation. The trouble is the usual drones will still hand over their hard earned cash to see this even if the reviews are bad. It will make a stack of money so it's pretty much guaranteed Die Hard 6 will also be a 12A affair.

What is your opinion on Die Hard 4.0 ?
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very disappointed to see this happen, in Ireland they left it uncut and gave it a 15A.

I suppose a "harder cut" will be released on DVD & BluRay in the summer and we will finally get to see it as intended. If I actually had any hope left in this franchise, I'd drive 20 minutes over the border and watch it in a ROI cinema to see it uncut.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Just means fans miss out on seeing the proper version in cinemas 😞Terrible decision again by 20th Century Fox
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    What is your opinion on Die Hard 4.0 ?

Worst of the series and I expect 5 to be not much better.
    Forum Member
    dbob wrote: »
    Worst of the series and I expect 5 to be not much better.

Well to be honest since he shaved his head his movies have got worse maybe he should grow it back in. :D
  • Theo_BearTheo_Bear Posts: 997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When the time comes, thank God for my multi region Blu-ray player. Will pick up a copy from Amazon.com in a few months, or just download it for free.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 496
    Forum Member
    I don't think it matters what certificate it gets.........filmed in Budapest, directed by John Moore who makes Len Wiseman look talented, and co-starring nobodies, the omens (no pun intended } are not good.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the last one was a 12 too wasn't it ?
    Forum Member
    the last one was a 12 too wasn't it ?

It was a 15, although it really could have been a 12, it was a PG-13 in the US. Apparently it was the single use of "motherf*cker" (with the F word mostly obscured by a gunshot) that elevated it to a 15 for the BBFC, which makes the 12A rating for the new one even more baffling.
    Forum Member
    CJClarke wrote: »
    It was a 15, although it really could have been a 12, it was a PG-13 in the US. Apparently it was the single use of "motherf*cker" (with the F word mostly obscured by a gunshot) that elevated it to a 15 for the BBFC, which makes the 12A rating for the new one even more baffling.

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/releases/die-hard-40-2007

BBFC have it as being a 12.
    Forum Member

They must have recently reclassified it, here's the info for the theatrical version from 2007:

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/releases/die-hard-40-2007-0

It was definitely a 15 when i saw it at the cinema, and the Blu Ray i've got in the Die Hard Quadrilogy boxset (which is also the theatrical version) is also rated 15.
    Forum Member
    CJClarke wrote: »
    They must have recently reclassified it, here's the info for the theatrical version from 2007:

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/releases/die-hard-40-2007-0

It was definitely a 15 when i saw it at the cinema, and the Blu Ray (which is also the theatrical version) i've got in the Die Hard Quadrilogy boxset is also rated 15.

The DVD/Bluray might of been a 15 because the special features are rated 15 but the movie must of been reclassified.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Die Hard 4 might've been reclassified for the DVD and BR Quadrilogy sets. I suspect the Quadrilogy versions maybe cut. But as Die Hard and Die Hard 2 are 18 anyway, Fox asking for a reclassification for DH4 would've been pointless.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the quadrilogy boxsets, Die Hard and Die Hard 2 were the full, uncut versions and were 18. Die Hard 3 was 15 but as it is involved in some strange licensing quandry, Fox don't have as much rights to it as they have for the other films, so it remains the crappy cut version from the 90's. Die Hard 4 was the theatrical version and it is rated as 15. The BBFC website has the film as being listed as 15 right up until recently, so Fox must have asked for it to be re-rated, probably for inclusion in either a new box set, or a double pack of 12 rated Die Hard's for kids birthday/Christmas presents this year. :rolleyes:

Here it is being listed as 15 and it mentions the film contains one use of "strong language". I thought the BBFC considered MF as "very strong language" and as it's obscured, how is it strong language when you can't even hear it being said? My head hurts...!

Interestingly, Die Hard was re--rated as a 15 on 17th January 2013! - http://www.bbfc.co.uk/releases/die-hard-1988 I wonder how long it will be before Die Hard 2 is brought down to a 15 as well?
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NOT uncut, it was pre cut by Fox, from the melonfarmers.co.uk forum:
    This work was originally seen for advice in an unfinished form. The company was advised that the film was likely to receive a `15` certificate but that their preferred `12A` classification could be achieved by making a number of cuts to both language and visuals. When the finished version of the film was submitted for formal classification, edits had been made to reduce the number of uses of strong language (both `f**k` and `motherf***er`) and to reduce sequences of bloody violence, including blood sprays when characters are shot in the head, and punches to restrained individuals. The formal submission was consequently rated 12A
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From http://twitchfilm.com/2013/02/review-a-good-day-to-die-hard.html

A Good Day to Die Hard is the shortest entry in the series by almost half an hour, but still manages to do more damage to the Die Hard property in 97 minutes than anything else in its 25-year history. Dumb, crass and tedious when its predecessors were smart, witty and entertaining, A Good Day to Die Hard is far and away the worst of the five films, and even with its R rating restored, struggles to entertain as a piece of disposable action entertainment on even the basest of levels. The film isn't just bad, it's embarrassing, and news that there is more yet to come only gives further cause for concern.
    Forum Member
    Paddy C wrote: »
    In the quadrilogy boxsets, Die Hard and Die Hard 2 were the full, uncut versions and were 18. Die Hard 3 was 15 but as it is involved in some strange licensing quandry, Fox don't have as much rights to it as they have for the other films, so it remains the crappy cut version from the 90's. Die Hard 4 was the theatrical version and it is rated as 15.

I can confirm that the Blu Ray Quadrilogy is actually uncut, including Die Hard With a Vengeance which was finally passed uncut with a 15 rating for that release. It's got the uncut lift scene with all of the blood spurts and all of the strong language is restored (no more "forget you, Joe!"), it's quite noticeably more violent and sweary. It's about time too considering that the BBC have been showing it uncut for years now. Die Hard 4.0 is the theatrical version rather than the badly dubbed "Unrated" cut which has only ever surfaced on DVD as the "Sorry We Made a PG-13 Die Hard Movie, Guys. Here's Some Swearing and CGI Blood" Edition...erm, i mean the "Ultimate Action Edition" (actually, my title is better...).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is the Ultimate Action Edition not available at all on BluRay? I don't own the quadrilogy box-set but if I did, I'd rather have that version than the theatrical version, just in case I did want to watch it some night and didn't want to be completely disappointed. Same for the rubbish edited release Die Hard 5 is gonna get and the 'harder cut' release that will surely follow.

I have the DVD trilogy set that came with the film cell and ended up buying the R1 two disc edition of Die Hard 3 and swapping the discs over as the version that came in the DVD box set was the badly cut UK version. If a completely uncut BluRay set eventually came out of at least the first 3 (I wouldn't be bothered about 4, 5 and whenever 6 comes out) then I'd probably opt for that.
    Forum Member
    Paddy C wrote: »
    Is the Ultimate Action Edition not available at all on BluRay? I don't own the quadrilogy box-set but if I did, I'd rather have that version than the theatrical version, just in case I did want to watch it some night and didn't want to be completely disappointed. Same for the rubbish edited release Die Hard 5 is gonna get and the 'harder cut' release that will surely follow.

I have the DVD trilogy set that came with the film cell and ended up buying the R1 two disc edition of Die Hard 3 and swapping the discs over as the version that came in the DVD box set was the badly cut UK version. If a completely uncut BluRay set eventually came out of at least the first 3 (I wouldn't be bothered about 4, 5 and whenever 6 comes out) then I'd probably opt for that.

Unfortunately they didnt feel the need to release the Ultimate Action Edition on Blu Ray, even though i dislike the badly dubbed swearing it would have been nice to at least have the option. They haven't released it on Blu Ray anywhere in the world either so it's the theatrical version or nothing i'm afraid.

The Quadrilogy boxset is fairly cheap now, just buy that for the uncut first three and pretend that DH4.0 is just an extra, that's what i did.