A person on £25k is actually taxed at over 40%

TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
Forum Member
✭✭
The joys of national insurance, the tax con that fools people into believing they are paying less tax than they actually are.

This is madness, a person on the basic income tax rate is actually paying twice the headline rate because of the stealth tax that is national insurance.

The time has come for national insurance to be scrapped as this is the reason people on NMW are not taking home a living wage. If we stop taxing the incomes of minimum wage employees we effectively give them a better than living wage rate.

Comments

• TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Less taxation means poorer public services, something the rich might not care about of course.

How about increasing the minimum wage? You end up with a better situation. More money washing around the economy, people spending more, more tax revenue collected.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    Less taxation means poorer public services, something the rich might not care about of course.

How about increasing the minimum wage? You end up with a better situation. More money washing around the economy, people spending more, more tax revenue collected.

That is what you achieve in reality by not taxing anyone on minimum wage, an utterly stupid thing to do when you are going to give it back in the form of tax credits and other in work benefits at great administrative cost.
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your choice is: {Pay National Insurance |AND Income tax, or scrap National Insurance and pay higher income tax. And if you don't want to pay either, leave the UK.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    Your choice is: {Pay National Insurance |AND Income tax, or scrap National Insurance and pay higher income tax. And if you don't want to pay either, leave the UK.

Or end the state monopoly on services and allow people to choose for themselves how to spend their money.
  • DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    Or end the state monopoly on services and allow people to choose for themselves how to spend their money.

What exactly do you mean by this?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What exactly do you mean by this?

Exactly what it says
  • ChrisHayChrisHay Posts: 206
    Forum Member

So you would be willing to give another organisation (no doubt a profit making enterprise) your money; to pay for emptying your bins, providing lighting in your streets, maintaining the railways & highways etc, but you would rather not pay this in the form of taxation to provide the same service!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    You're not really taxed at 40% if you earn £25k. You telling me that if your monthly gross is
    £2083, you only actually get £1250 net?

edit - I guess you mean 40% on the £15k, given the 10k tax free.
  • radyagradyag Posts: 2,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A flat tax is the answer! I say set it at 25%.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not a stealth tax.
    Completely transparent on your pay slip and precisely calculable in advance.

"monopoly on services" ??

Last time I checked, you could use private hospitals, dentists, physios, schools, child care, and all manner of professional services.

Where do you get 40% from ??
    20% plus 12% less allowances
  • SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    radyag wrote: »

https://fairtax.org/about/how-fairtax-works

This has some support in the US, works out at 23%.
  • MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    Got any figures to back up your claim? I had a glance at my payslip. A finger in the air calculation suggests I lose about 25% in tax.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SaturnV wrote: »
    https://fairtax.org/about/how-fairtax-works

This has some support in the US, works out at 23%.

It would be a much simpler system to administer making tax harder to avoid.

A personal tax allowance of, say, £15k and a flat tax rate of 20-25% on everything after that might be the best way to go.
  • PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »

But longer queues in shops due to less staff being employed.
  • Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

An uber Conservative point of view - less governent control of our money and more self choice as to how you spend it.

Cant say i disagree though :)
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got any figures to back up your claim? I had a glance at my payslip. A finger in the air calculation suggests I lose about 25% in tax.
    Sure, https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/tax-and-tax-credit-rates-and-thresholds-for-2015-16/tax-and-tax-credit-rates-and-thresholds-for-2015-16 , https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/tax-and-tax-credit-rates-and-thresholds-for-2014-15/tax-and-tax-credit-rates-and-thresholds-for-2014-15
    Tax 20%, NI 12% which is some way short of over 40%.
  • Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    Scrap the NHS and lets all take out chances that we never get ill.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chuck Wao wrote: »
    An uber Conservative point of view - less governent control of our money and more self choice as to how you spend it.

Cant say i disagree though :)

I prefer classic liberal knowing what modern conservatism has become
  • CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    radyag wrote: »

Absolutely. What could be more fair than everyone contributing the same % of their income. You earn more, you contribute more, but never more than a 1/4. Anything more than a 1/4 is a disincentive.

£1M - £250000 / 10k / £2500.

Scrap all other forms of taxation. (I.E. VAT / Council / fuel etc.)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CRTHD wrote: »
    Absolutely. What could be more fair than everyone contributing the same % of their income. You earn more, you contribute more, but never more than a 1/4. Anything more than a 1/4 is a disincentive.

£1M - £250000 / 10k / £2500.

Scrap all other forms of taxation. (I.E. VAT / Council / fuel etc.)

We do need a personal tax allowance though as taxing someone on NMW is just stupid regardless of whether we have a flat tax or not.

I would certainly scrap all property taxes and replace them with a land value tax.
  • MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flat tax means less tax collected = poorer public services.

"state monopoly on services" , translated means that the person stating this does not believe in public services and wishes to see them ended. This benefits the very rich of course.

The main beneficiaries of public services are the middle-classes, in fact the concept of "middle-class" only exists because of public spending.
    Certainly their own income could not hope to match that which the state provides in terms of education and healthcare.

Motto: Beware of Libertarian Outrage On Behalf Of The Poor.
  • killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,920
    Forum Member
    Neither party wants to combine the NI and income tax into a single tax because it would make the resulting income tax rate too visible.
  • Turnbull2000Turnbull2000 Posts: 7,588
    Forum Member
    killjoy wrote: »
    Neither party wants to combine the NI and income tax into a single tax because it would make the resulting income tax rate too visible.

Don't think that's entirely the issue. I think the greater concern is that merging the two will hit pensioners who are largely exempt from NI.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would also replace the entire welfare system (pensions included) with some form of basic income. If we have to have a welfare system, basic income is the ideal one.